Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are a lot of posts regarding debaffling. Most say to do it in stages. Screen removal, hole drilling and baffle removal. I completed the first stage this weekend. I like the slight change in sound, but my question is.... Has anyone debaffled a 900 and thought it was too loud? It seems that eveyone who has debaffled the bike loves it. Does it really need to be done in stages or is that just an excuse to drink more beer?:D

·
Registered
533 Posts
LEt me put it this way, once they're out there's no putting them back. That's why I suggest you do it in stages. And no, I didn't think mine was too loud.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey there,

I did mine in stages. I removed the screens first and then drove it around for a couple of weeks and realized that it wasn't loud enough. Then this past weekend I drilled 4 - 3/8 holes in each baffle and it made it considerably louder. I would recommend that you maybe try drilling 2 holes in each baffle to see if it is what you want and then keep drilling holes and trying it out until you like the loudness. I know that my exhaust gets louder as everything warms up so you must try it out in town and on the highway. I am sure eventually I will have it all drilled out but I do find mine quite loud the way they are right now. I will keep them this way for quite a while.

Good Luck, just don't go too far the first time and regret your decision.

Wayne

·
Registered
167 Posts
I cut my muffler about 6 inches...past the middle baffle end cap....sounds terrific

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Really depends on your taste. There have been those who have debaffled and don't like it. Having said that, though, I'm not one of those. :D

Even so, knowing I wanted some attitude from the pipes, I did mine in stages, although I skipped stage 1 (removing the screens) and went straight to stage 2, where I removed the end of the pipe, punched out the screens, and drilled 4 1/2" holes in each baffle. I rode that way for about a week before increasing to 8 holes in each baffle. Then, just over a month later, I went all out and love the sound! It's a nice deep growl as opposed to a lot of straight pipes that are high pitched cracking annoyance.

I have heard aftermarket pipes that I absolutely *LOVE* their sound, but for the price, ya can't be the debaffled rumble on a 900!

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
LEt me put it this way, once they're out there's no putting them back. That's why I suggest you do it in stages. And no, I didn't think mine was too loud.
There ya go, Jimbo said it best... once you take a step, you can't go back. Take it slowly to ensure satisfaction, as you can always take another step toward louder later, but you can't backtrack to quieter. ;)

I have heard of folks that drilled the endcaps, though, and successfully plugged the drilled holes with bolts when a quieter sound was needed, or to pass inspection.

·
Registered
89 Posts
This weekend I too decided I wanted some attitude from the pipes, I went straight to stage 2, where I removed the end of the pipe and drilled 4 1/2" holes in each baffle........then I said screw it! increasing to 8 holes in each baffle:D I love the sound so far!!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Kind of the same happened to me...i was getting the baffle out..and the sucker wouldnt come out...so i just went to the muffler shop and had the pipes cut 6 inches off......she is loud..and sound really really good...plus it looks great...most people think its aftermarket pipes....my mpg went from 47mpg to 51mpg...only thing diff.....is the modified exhaust

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
No regrets here.

·
Registered
167 Posts
If your into loud and mellow exhaust on the highway....its really just about perfect. Its loud where I want it to be...in the city..and on the highway its just a little hummm that lets you know its there

1 - 12 of 12 Posts