Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Local shop had a bike nite this evening. Stopped in and for the first time they had a 900 custom. So I finally got to sit on one. Question is on the exhaust, found my leg, if I wasn't careful, was often on that heat shield. Is it enough to remind you to get your leg away before your burned? Do after market pipes run closer to the bike body? Or is it really a non-issue once your used to it? Love those customs....other than the exhaust thing felt just right.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've rode my 09 900 Custom for about 600 miles so far, I can definitely notice the heat off the pipes. The heat shield is about 1/2 inch from the pipe, so I don't think that a burn would be likely.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I have never burned myself on the bike but at 6'2" my legs aren't really close to the bike anyways. However, I did melt the leg on my Rainsuit on the way home from Spring Fling last Friday. Ahhhh last Friday, a morning of jumping over rivers in downtown Eureka Springs while gift shopping and an afternoon of riding including higher speed, back and forth sweepers and all you can eat fried chicken followed by a 5 hour, black, rainy ride home. I do it again in an instant if I only had the money. Pulling a trailer I was getting 41-45 mpg, can't beat that. Didn't get quite as good mileage on the way home I bet, what with running 80 instead of 70. That eats the gas mileage.

The 900 is a great bike capable of anything you want to do that's legal and a little bit that isn't. It accepts a car tire on the rear if you use it to commute constantly and don't want to buy expensive, short lasting tires and can be modified cheaply to your tastes. I really can't think of any problems it has with the exception that it's a little under half the motor that's on the V2K which is the only bike I've thought of replacing my 900 with. It kinda looks like a Momma 900 anyways, just a wee bit bigger with the same shape.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, I'm a little short legged I guess. But I'd like more stretch room than my 500 has. No reason for me to change bikes other than that, I mostly commute, some of that at freeway speeds, and the 500 is perfectly capable of hauling my bulk. But the Custom is just SEXY! (altho if I ditched the floorboards and modded the fenders the Classic is sweet too.)

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I have never burned myself on the bike but at 6'2" my legs aren't really close to the bike anyways. However, I did melt the leg on my Rainsuit on the way home from Spring Fling last Friday. Ahhhh last Friday, a morning of jumping over rivers in downtown Eureka Springs while gift shopping and an afternoon of riding including higher speed, back and forth sweepers and all you can eat fried chicken followed by a 5 hour, black, rainy ride home. I do it again in an instant if I only had the money. Pulling a trailer I was getting 41-45 mpg, can't beat that. Didn't get quite as good mileage on the way home I bet, what with running 80 instead of 70. That eats the gas mileage.

The 900 is a great bike capable of anything you want to do that's legal and a little bit that isn't. It accepts a car tire on the rear if you use it to commute constantly and don't want to buy expensive, short lasting tires and can be modified cheaply to your tastes. I really can't think of any problems it has with the exception that it's a little under half the motor that's on the V2K which is the only bike I've thought of replacing my 900 with. It kinda looks like a Momma 900 anyways, just a wee bit bigger with the same shape.
Ditto.
I flirted briefly with the 1700.
After hanging out on the 17 boards, there is just too much trouble with the 17. It's the nine for me until I get a Roadglide or a Goldwing. When I retire I can see myself on 1 of those 3 bikes, presuming the 2000 is still being made.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I had to go out and look at/sit on my bike to see what you were talking about. My right heel can come a little close to the pipe, but my leg doesn't come anywhere near it. I've never had any problem or experienced any noticible heat from the pipes.

Does the one you sat on have aftermarket pipes?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I noticed that I was touching the pipes when I first got the bike, but until you posted the question, I had forgotten about it, and I ride a lot in heavy stop and go traffic.

Must not be a issue, or at not an issue unless you wear shorts, which I don't. :)

·
Registered
941 Posts
I don't have a problem on my Classic with Hard Krome pipes. But I am 6 foot. My father-in-law burnt his leg the first time he sat on my bike. But he is alot shorter and wasn't thinkin bout the pipes when he sat down.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I'm a short guy and when I stop I have to make a concious effort to keep my leg away from the pipes. However it doesn't touch while I'm riding.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm 5'8 and have burned my leg twice with the factory pipes just moving it from the driveway to the garage. Yeah, didnt learn the first time. Only time I ride in shorts, about twenty feet. I've never noticed the pipes in jeans, but I make a habit to lean the other way at stops. Changed the pipes and they melted my wife's boots the first ride.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts