Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Exhaust query?

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Cajual 
#1 ·
I am thinking of switching to Cobra or Vance & Hines exhaust. I am looking at the V&H Slash Cut Staggereds, the Cobra Speedster Longs or the Cobra Dragsters. I am especially intersted in the difference between the Cobra Longs vs. the Dragsters. It looks like the Dragsters do not have a cross-over pipe and I am wondering if that is a big deal. I would apprciate any input from folks with these type of exhaust.

I am not specifically looking for louder pipes, but I am going to have to replace my stock ones per they got scratched when I failed to keep the shiny side up last November.

Thanks to all who reply!

#2 ·
I have a friend that has the dragsters on his 900 and this guys knows another guy that has the speedsters short with the cross over. they both compared them one night at a local restaurant parking lot on the same model of bike and they both agreed that if there is a difference in performance you don't feel it. I have the V&H and sometimes my friend tell me he should've gotten them too.

#3 ·
Get some stocks off e-bay or someone on this forum and save yourself a ton of cash. The only reason to invest in pipes is aesthetics and sound, which is awkward with the 900 because it looks better and sounds as good* as most aftermarkets. Of course this is just my opinion, and in the same boat I think tassels, studs, windshields, and saddlebags completely ruin the look and feel of a cruiser, but then again I'm only 24, and shiny/fluttering things may grab my attention more as I get older.

*When de-baffled.

#4 ·
Jeep Pirate........this is just my opinion but closely read the other exhaust post before proceding. Did you notice how many people buy aftermarket pipes and then complain they are to loud? Then they go with Smartpartz baffles and still some say its still to loud. Here is my thought....if you were happy with the look and sound of your pipes b4 the crash and if they are only scratched, think about sending them to Jet Hot and having them refinished. They do a really nice job and the coating hold up really well. You could go black or a really shiny silver. I think they have other options as well. Check out the web site. Just a thought. I thought long and hard about exhaust and came to the conclusion that I really love how my 900 sounds stock.

#7 ·
Thanks for all the info folks. As usual the forum has proved invaluable in my decission making process. I am currently checking out E-bay, getting a quote from the local Jet-hot people, and pricing the Cobra Dragsters. Gonna see how cheap I can get out while comparing value to price. Thanks again.

#9 ·
I'm 56 and shinny/fluttery is a good thing when done right. I like my ride now just the way it is with its current farkles. I didn't change my pipes for the sake of noise (Cobra 2 into 1 Power Pro's) or looks. I wanted less pipe to help make things easier for cleaning and maintenance (I also have ghost brackets on my bags for the same reason). Less pipe also means less chance of my passanger having a mishap with hot pipes. They were loud as hell afterwards so I added the Smartparts baffle (sealed around the outer edge with muffler putty). They're now about the amount of loudness as stage 1 to 2 debaffled stock pipes with a better sound.

If you like the looks and sound of stock, shop on eBay and you can probably replace you pies for less than $100 or even get some aftermarket ones cheap. If you want a different look and sound, then replace them. I do know that when you pull the stock pipes, you'll be surprised what you'll find behind the heat shield (some pretty skinny headers). As for cross-over, probably no big deal either way. Since I'm running 2 into 1, not an issue in my case. At the moment I'm very pleased with the pipes and have been complimented on their sound on group rides. If I were to do it again, I would go the same way as I achieved what I wanted with a bonus. You ride it and the only person you have to please is you. Anything else is psycho-babble. BTW, there's nothing wrong with being 26 or 56 and looking really kewl, just as long as you're happy and of course get out there, ride and enjoy it all.

#10 ·
I like the looks of the stock pipes. I did want a little more sound but not too much. I drilled the baffles which you'll find writes on doing that. I didn't de-baffle since I think it'd be too loud. I just drilled four holes in each one. Sounds nice but not loud enough to upset people in the early A.M. Check e-bay for used stock ones people took off and try the holes. My friend ended up putting 8 holes in each for more sound. Me I'm old (63) so excessive loud I don't like.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.