Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My vaquero came with a vance and hines exhaust on it and it sounds great but when I let off the gas I frequently hear some popping or backfiring. Is this normal? If not any ideas on what causes this?

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
My vaquero came with a vance and hines exhaust on it and it sounds great but when I let off the gas I frequently hear some popping or backfiring. Is this normal? If not any ideas on what causes this?
There are a few well documented reasons. First and foremost any aftermarket exhaust has less affective "muffling" capacity, the exhaust is louder and you will also hear more of the pops and bangs that are suppressed by the stock exhaust.

Second your exhaust does not have the catalyzers the stock exhaust has so there will also be more popping and a banging heard.

A major contributor to popping on decel is the Kawasaki's Kleen air systems which allows air (with it 20% or so oxygen) to enter the exhaust ports helping to clean up emissions. Cancelling out this system can help quite a bit in reducing decel pop.

There are other aspects that can help, proper fuel injection tuning and eliminating the well known vacuum leaks in the 1700's intake system. Do a search for info on these .

RACNRAY

1 - 2 of 2 Posts