Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both pipes are hot but the flow coming out of the right side "throttle/breaking side" seems noticeably weaker and kinda sputters a bit.

MY first response was to check for leaks on the boots because while riding the clamps slipped and the boots came off, ive since replaced the clamps and have had no issues and tested for leaks on the intake boots.

This is my first bike so I dont really know much.
However id done maintenance/ mechanical work on my car and i know well enough something not running right on my bike.

Was hoping to get some feed back and possible causes of the problem from some more experience bike owners.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Both pipes are hot but the flow coming out of the right side "throttle/breaking side" seems noticeably weaker and kinda sputters a bit.

MY first response was to check for leaks on the boots because while riding the clamps slipped and the boots came off, ive since replaced the clamps and have had no issues and tested for leaks on the intake boots.

This is my first bike so I dont really know much.
However id done maintenance/ mechanical work on my car and i know well enough something not running right on my bike.

Was hoping to get some feed back and possible causes of the problem from some more experience bike owners.
Did you check plugs?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not, nor do i have any knowledge on how to.

I bought the bike used for a dealer and said everything was tuned up and changed but i guess not all people are honest.

So i guess changing the plugs wouldn't be a bad idea? Is it hard to do on a bike?

·
Registered
509 Posts

I bought the bike used for a dealer and said everything was tuned up and changed but i guess not all people are honest.

So i guess changing the plugs wouldn't be a bad idea? Is it hard to do on a bike?
pretty much have to remove tank for room to get to them. Pulling spark plugs on the bike is like any other spark plugs

·
Registered
509 Posts
pretty much have to remove tank for room to get to them. Pulling spark plugs on the bike is like any other spark plugs
Thanks ill have to do that and get back on here with a update, do you know the socket size?
Do you have the toolkit? Should be behind a plastic door on the right side of the bike.

·
Registered
507 Posts

Go ahead and change them if you want, that can't hurt anything and might help. Be sure to pick up a spark gap tool while you're at the parts store, you'll need it to set the gap on the plugs. And get a packet of anti-seize. Anti-seize is goo you usually find up at the parts counter. You smear a little on the threads of the new plugs before you install them. You'll be very glad you did the next time you go to change them.

However, in regards to how your engine is running, the important thing is to evaluate the condition of the plugs when you pull them -- they can tell you a lot. You can find lots of pictures of spark plugs on the interwebs and explanations of what "one that looks like this" might mean.

Here's one by NGK: https://www.ngksparkplugs.com/about-ngk/faqs/spark-plug-faqs/how-do-i-read-a-spark-plug

·
Registered
507 Posts
From Googling the specs for the plugs for your bike, it looks like you want a deep thin-wall socket, 19mm. Not sure what the open face wrench is for, though -- nor what size.

·
Registered
509 Posts
From Googling the specs for the plugs for your bike, it looks like you want a deep thin-wall socket, 19mm. Not sure what the open face wrench is for, though -- nor what size.
The spark plug remover with the original tool kit is indented to be able to use a 17mm open face wrench because there's not enough room for a ratchet.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Ah. Well, that rather complicates matters, doesn't it. Sounds like ebay tool kit is a smart way to go.
You could probably remove the coolant overflow reservoir to gain more room, and using a thin walled deep socket like you suggested would probably work. I was just answering your question about what the wrench was for.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112164349962

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Is there a crossover pipe between the exhaust pipes? It will take the path with least resistance.
Yes there is a crossover pipe just ahead of the rear tire. Also this engine is, what I call, odd-fire. The firing sequence it is

2-180deg-1-540deg. It is not 1-360deg-2-360deg.

Combine this odd-firing sequence with the crossover pipe and you'll have a slightly stronger pulse from the right side pipe. (at least that what it is on Hidalgo and Sioux)

Hope this helps ya.

·
Registered
147 Posts
For the spark plug 'remover' - ( see atached photo ). Bought this cheap tubular wrench set for about $5 at local hardware store. It works like a charm for removing spark plugs. Another 'hack' would be 17mm deep wrench socket, if you can't find thin walled one, you can buy regular socket and then trim it down with table grinder.
My pipes are not equal too...Opposite of yours, right one is hotter. Will check plug gap tomorrow. Can carbs cause this uneven heat? My carbs are not synchronized and adjusted. If plugs doesn't solve your problem, then maybe you need to sync/adjust carbs.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts