Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While tinkering with my Fi2000r I started noticing a sound. It only happens when the throttle is almost completely backed off. Almost like a constant low pitched farting sound. I don't know how to describe it any better than that.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have Hard Krome pipes on mine and mine does the same thing when slowing down but still have just a hair bit of throttle on.....just the pipes. Air/fuel mixture will cause different sounds,I'm no expert but just experienced it myself. Maybe a youtube video will help diagnose the "problem" if there is one

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
What kind of baffles (if any) do you have? I went from stock to Cobras with standard baffles (right, below) and got some noise just above idle like that. The bike also reeked of gas everywhere I went. When I switched to quiet core baffles (left, below) those problems went away. I'm no engineer but as mentioned it may have something to do with the mixture and change in backpressure. Maybe.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
When I had my idle turned down to low......i had a low brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr sound....I made several posts about it way back when. It was like the ecu was trying to dial in the lower idle settings......low pitch brrrrrrrrrrrrrr...then it would kick out. Adjusted idle, and it went away.
Checked out your vids........it's why the HK'S ARE my fave pipes. Man what a sound. Our 9 was made for those pipes. Makes the bike sound more like a Harley than a Harley does...lol (please don't read ANYTHING into that).....lol.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
While tinkering with my Fi2000r I started noticing a sound. It only happens when the throttle is almost completely backed off. Almost like a constant low pitched farting sound. I don't know how to describe it any better than that.
You are hearing decel popping. What's left of your factory pipes are doing their job. When you go full off (zero throttle) the noise stops, right? Do the marble trick to the hose going to the secondary air injector relay and it'll probably take most of it away.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are hearing decel popping. What's left of your factory pipes are doing their job. When you go full off (zero throttle) the noise stops, right? Do the marble trick to the hose going to the secondary air injector relay and it'll probably take most of it away.
Thank you! That fixed it. :D

Any of you guys know what a bitch it is to find marbles? Seems Walmart and Kmart don't sell them! Luckily I found a nice big bag of them at Toy's R Us in the Dollar bin. :cool:

·
Registered
851 Posts
Thank you! That fixed it. :D

Any of you guys know what a bitch it is to find marbles? Seems Walmart and Kmart don't sell them! Luckily I found a nice big bag of them at Toy's R Us in the Dollar bin. :cool:
Yes, it is a bitch trying to find a marble. I looked everywhere and nobody carries them anymore in our area. So I went to plan B, I pulled the air hose and used black electrical tape and taped up the hole on the back of the air box and slid the hose back on. It worked like a charm and all I have to do is pull the tape to reverse it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, it is a bitch trying to find a marble. I looked everywhere and nobody carries them anymore in our area. So I went to plan B, I pulled the air hose and used black electrical tape and taped up the hole on the back of the air box and slid the hose back on. It worked like a charm and all I have to do is pull the tape to reverse it.
Well, I have a whole bag of them now. Think I'll sell them on ebay. VULCAN 900 ANTI BACKFIRE KIT! Buy it now $29.99 free shipping! :p

·
Registered
851 Posts
I know what you mean, when i put the FI2000 on my pipes started doing the same thing. I think the factory settings were 4-2-0 and what I did was turned down the first pot to 3 and the second one down to 1 1/2 and the third pot i left at 0 and my farting sound is gone but i still have a little poping. I run with Cobra longs and a K&N filter but I might go back to the stock filter. Changing back to the stock filter will... 1) Quiet my pipes a little and the change the pitch and 2) might take out any poping i still have, and change my plug just for good measure.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I know what you mean, when i put the FI2000 on my pipes started doing the same thing. I think the factory settings were 4-2-0 and what I did was turned down the first pot to 3 and the second one down to 1 1/2 and the third pot i left at 0 and my farting sound is gone but i still have a little poping. I run with Cobra longs and a K&N filter but I might go back to the stock filter. Changing back to the stock filter will... 1) Quiet my pipes a little and the change the pitch and 2) might take out any poping i still have, and change my plug just for good measure.
Right now I'm running my cobra at 3.75, 2, and .5. and I'm marbled. The marble took care of the farting sound. I've got good roll on acceleration from take off. I've got a nice smooth acceleration in the mid range and if I hammer it she's not too bad. So until I get my air cleaner, I'm happy.

I did figure out, that if you crank pot #3 all the way out, let off it for about 3 seconds and hammer on it again you get a nice 5 foot fireball out the back! Muhahahahah! :D Just don't expect any power gains from this, it just falls on its face. but the fireworks are fun!

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
wouldn't pluging that breather line cause pressure in the engine and blow gaskets?
Welcome to the forum Dan. You will find a lot of good information here and we would like to know what your ride is all about too.
The hose we are referring to begins at the back of the air cleaner and terminates at the secondary air injection control valve. The purpose of the control valve is to introduce fresh air into the exhaust ports, just after the exhaust valves, to burn any mixture that still has hydrocarbon present. The breather hose terminates in the air cleaner and over time oil will mostly likely be present in your air cleaner housing as a result. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Right now I'm running my cobra at 3.75, 2, and .5. and I'm marbled. The marble took care of the farting sound. I've got good roll on acceleration from take off. I've got a nice smooth acceleration in the mid range and if I hammer it she's not too bad. So until I get my air cleaner, I'm happy.

I did figure out, that if you crank pot #3 all the way out, let off it for about 3 seconds and hammer on it again you get a nice 5 foot fireball out the back! Muhahahahah! :D Just don't expect any power gains from this, it just falls on its face. but the fireworks are fun!
In my case I already had the line blocked, so I knew it was in my settings. Last night she was running a lot smoother except for a little popin.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have HK pipes w/ add'l SmartPartz Hard Kore baffles, and have the same minor popping issue upon decel (especially down hills). I did the marbling thing a few months ago, but it made only a marginal difference for me, unfortunately. I haven't checked my gaskets yet to make sure they're air-tight, but will at some point. Right now, I just figure it's a small price to pay for an otherwise nice set of pipes.

·
Registered
81 Posts
hose

where is the hose you are talking about, my 1700 is popping. Thks:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts