Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I want to know if anybody has drilled into the baffles on a vulcan 900 and if so, do you lose power or hurt the engine?. I have removed the screen and it's a bit louder but want a little more noise.Please help.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Hi guys, I want to know if anybody has drilled into the baffles on a vulcan 900 and if so, do you lose power or hurt the engine?. I have removed the screen and it's a bit louder but want a little more noise.Please help.
This is one of the most covered topics anywhere on these and other forums. Try a search and you'll get all the info you need (including instructions on how to debaffle).
Everything I've read suggests no loss of power, and no issues regarding loss of back-pressure.
Good luck and regards, Silent.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Debaffle

Have done a full debaffle. Quite a bit more sound which makes it seem like more power but really no differance in performance other than more noise. I did it because I did it because I did not like the sounding like a sewing machine.

·
Registered
782 Posts
From reading the forums, a better question would be if anyone has not debaffled the exhaust to at least some extent. But Silenthill is correct, just do a search for debaffle and you should be set. Also, you may need to disable the reed valve when you are done to lessen the backfiring that you can now hear because the baffles are gone. You can find this by searching marbling. Although, I don't recommend using a marble. Use something to crimp the hose so that you can remove it if needed for inspections, resale, etc.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I drilled mines and the change in sound is great. My next step will be debaffling but still Haven't done it yet, just because I don't know How much of a difference I 'll get. I put 8 holes in each pipe and even took a long rebar pipe and open a couple more somewhere inside the pipe , not sure what it is, but seems to be some kind of screen. I know a couple of guys started with the drilling process, and ended it debaffling. can anybody tell me if there is any difference from 8 holes per pipe to debaffling ?? Thanks.
have a safe ride

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I've punched out the screen with a piece of rebar and drilled four holes into the back. The only change i've noticed is in the sound, no noticable performance enhancement. Relieving the backpressure in your exhaust won't hurt your engine. I'm happy with the loudness as it sits and don't intend to completely remove the baffle.

I'm not a proponent of the belief that "loud pipes save lives", i think defensive driving saves lives. Loud pipes (to me) are just annoying, but hey, i'm old. :D

·
Registered
167 Posts
i cut my bexhaust a good 7" off....she sounds good...even my wife said that...so...thats a plus

·
Registered
203 Posts
From reading the forums, a better question would be if anyone has not debaffled the exhaust to at least some extent. But Silenthill is correct, just do a search for debaffle and you should be set. Also, you may need to disable the reed valve when you are done to lessen the backfiring that you can now hear because the baffles are gone. You can find this by searching marbling. Although, I don't recommend using a marble. Use something to crimp the hose so that you can remove it if needed for inspections, resale, etc.
*raises hand* I have not done ANYTHING to my exhaust but polish it! hahaha I have 25000 miles in 13 months and it is well broken in and has gotten throatier and some what louder but is still quiet enough I can crank it on the carport and not have pissed off neighbors while it warms up. I also feel that its not the loud but the awareness that saves ya on a bike so I like my baby and will not be messing with her at this point. and she sounds far better then a sewing machine. my friends with harleys have actually commented that she sounds good even stock now that she is broken in and aged! :) now if the shop would just put her back together so I can have her back I wont have to move into the service department with a tent! hahaha

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
To answer the question, there shouldn't be any performance issues.

As far as the "loud pipes save lives" stance (having gone with the full debaffle on my bike), all I can do is point to my personal experience. I've had several people try to merge into my beauty since buying her, and before, with just the mini-horn that comes stock, nobody has ever noticed my attempts to claim/protect my lane. Since debaffling, I've gotten into the habit of slipping the clutching and revving a bit, and the two times I've used that technique, the drivers in question have quickly corrected themselves.

On ALL occasions I've braked to protect myself, though, as there's no guarantee that a driver doesn't have their radio too loud, etc. Also, on the highway, I just get out of the way and make my presence obvious after assuring my safety. Both of the previously mentioned instances were at slower speeds within the city limits where road noise is at an easier to overcome level.

Main reason I enjoy my debaffled pipes, though, is the fact that, no matter who I ride with, they're loud enough that I can distinguish my own bike's sound no matter how obnoxious the other bikes are, yet it's still tame enough that I can sneak out of the neighborhood without pissing off the neighbors. ;)

One of these days, I've gotta upgrade to a Stebel for the safety aspect.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I removed my baffles by first removing the whole pipe from the head, the next step was to remove the chrome cover/ heat shield from the header pipe.
Drill the three rivets from the outlet side and remove the cover.
Then take a small angle grinder and carefully grind the weld where the chrome sleeve is welded to the end plate that is in turn welded onto the back of the header pipewhen the weld is loose you acn just slide the chrome sleeve off and the baffles and the cat is exposed take the grinder and cut the baffles free, i left the cat in place. Then just reassemble in reverse and your bike has a lovely new sound.
Btw this was done on the 2008/900 custom. Difficulty rating 4/10 really easy in other words

1 - 10 of 10 Posts