Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey folks,

I had posted in the "...best sounding & Performance Pipes" thread regarding the HK 3"ers that evidently a few of us here have on their V2Ks, and Paul and I briefly addressed toning down the bark of these pipes by adding baffles/baffling to them.

Working off of Paul's suggestion, I ordered some o' that Moose Racing fiberglass wrap, off ebay, and went to install it this morning- intending to wrap the batting around the baffles, secure it with wire, and slide the baffles back in. It sounded simple enough.

I removed the trim rings at the ends of the pipes, and with little fuss, extracted (what I guess were) the stock baffles.

What I found was unexpected. The baffles in these pipes are welded inside a solid sleeve which friction-fits inside the exhaust pipe itself (see pics). There doesn't seem to be anything to modify, unless I start drilling holes in the outer casing of the baffle, and then wrap the baffle.
http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/album.php?albumid=171&pictureid=481
http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/album.php?albumid=171&pictureid=482

So, if that's the case, what size hole, and how many holes should I drill? Or do I just drill a few holes, install baffles, listen, extract, drill, install, listen... until they sound "right"?

I'm all ears- lemme know what you guys think.

Thanks,
- Kev

·
Registered
445 Posts
You beat me to the punch at getting to them before I did.
To cold here still.... But are you kidding me ???
The baffles look like that ?
[email protected]#^*
How we supose to supress the sound with that style ?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You beat me to the punch at getting to them before I did.
To cold here still.... But are you kidding me ???
The baffles look like that ?
[email protected]#^*
How we supose to supress the sound with that style ?
I KNOW! :confused:
That's why I'm scratching my head on this... I don't mind blazing a trail here, and I have a drill press to do it , but I'm not familiar enough with back-pressures ('cept after I've been riding all day) and such to make an educated guess at hole size, and quantity.

Ponch, rkd2, anybody...?

- K

·
Registered
419 Posts
That's why I'm scratching my head on this... I don't mind blazing a trail here, and I have a drill press to do it , but I'm not familiar enough with back-pressures ('cept after I've been riding all day) and such to make an educated guess at hole size, and quantity.

Ponch, rkd2, anybody...?

- K
It looks like your baffle doesn't do much more than add a bit of resonance to the exhaust (probably creating some "out of phase" pulses that help to counteract the sound). My experience with the old "glass pack" exhausts tells me you got a lot of work to do to make those work. You would need to completely remove the outer metal sheath and secure the wrap so that it doesn't scrape itself off on insertion in the pipe or allow the exhaust gas to come into direct contact with it after installation as this would erode the packing. It could be done but is it worth the results? The old style header baffles controlled the sound level by making the inside of the baffle smaller. Google Kerker baffles and you'll see what I mean. Good luck and keep us posted.

Attachments

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
diffren ways to Get 'er Dun

only because this pipe sys is off Betty, did I bother to show it.
this is the muffler w/baffle from Rinehart 2in1 for my hardleyableson.
big pipe, 2.5" inlet 3ft muffler x 4.5" Bell.
Here is the baffle core w/lots of... baffleley type holes so gases can expand.
I wrap this with Glass Pack wrap.
available at CycleGear or any AutoZone for $10. enuff to do this job 3 times.
It last a year or 25k miles, which ever comes first. usually its the miles.

The glass packing helps... some. Still the pipe/baffle is pretty much a straight thru 2.5" piece of pipe w/lots of holes for the gases to expand. They do in pulses. Its sorta kinda LOUD, but makes a TON of TORK. ponch, out

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay-

For lack of a better plan, I'm a gonna take my brandie-new 5/16" titanium drill bits and go at it. I've laid out a grid of 1/2" squares which I'll use as the layout for drilling a staggered array of holes in the baffles.

The baffles are only welded to the sleeve at the front edge, and at the rear seam, leaving about 1/8th of an inch between the two along its lenght. At least I won't have to drill through both layers when doing this.

Yesterday, I took the beast down to the end of town, and recorded a video-sound check from about 50 feet away. After I have a dozen or 2 drilled thru each baffle, I'll mount them up and do another sound check, and I'll post the results for judging.

I hope it works...
- Kev

·
Registered
10 Posts
Check out smartpartz.com b 4 you drill, they have a silencer that fits in the end of the pipes simple install works very well pipes still have a nice sound but takes out that loud over bearing sound , well worth the money

·
Registered
44 Posts
Or, just wear ear buds with some Metallica blasting. That'll overpower the pipes, and even, at times, they'll play in unison, and THAT kix azz!!!!!!! On a more serious note, I have no idea what to suggest, other that trial and error. Noone seems to have gone down this road, so someone has to start somewhere, right??? Good luck, and let us know how it sounds, for sure!!!

·
Registered
616 Posts
baffled

Ponch, rkd2, anybody...?

- K
Kev, you can try to drill holes in the outer casing of the baffle shell , but I have doubts it will do anything at all to dampen the sound, you could end up with a "whistle' as well.
My suggestion : IF you have access to a lathe , chuck the baffle , then with a parting tool , cut the baffle just behind the lock bolt{ retaining the bolt locking system}. Then cut through the weld on the other end . With some trimming , the outter shell should slide off & be reusable , with some welding, making the mod reversable. I would then wrap the baffle with the fibreglass & wire & reinsert. YOu could cut this with a saw/cutting wheel, also , but be careful to not cut the baffle . A Lathe makes a MUCH neater job.
Just my ideas, didnt say they were good ones LOL

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
b4 you drill baby drill, I'd do plan B and/or the SmartPartz.com thing. You will not be the first person whom has drilled the daylights out of a baffle. I have done this numerous times on numerous bikes and was never impressed with the change or the sound. It's not in the cards. Removing that outer sheith and packing it with glass will knock down some decibels, not as much as you would like for the amount of effort put in.

If you study any factory pipe and get a grip on how they muffle the daylights out of these howitzers, you will note that they pass the exhaust gas thru the smallest of hole and then into a large chamber to expand. then those gases are forced thru yet another small hole into another chamber and expand further. somtimes this is repeated a third time. In the end (the tail pipe) is a small little 3/4-1" hole that the whole thing empties into the big blue world at a hush.. like a stuffed up nose, not very impressive is it?

Thats why we are always drilling out end caps and baffles trying to let the bark out. till we realize we let the whole dog out and now he's bitting us around the ankles.. and we have to figure out how to get the beast back into that pipe.

Plan B works because it takes place at the beginning of your muffler. SmartPartz plan works at the end of the exhaust train.
I'v even JB welded some large washers with small holes into pipes before. Sometimes they work... for a while.
Or you could just buy a quieter pipe system... like a stock unit? ponch out

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Paul,
What a great idea: inexpensive and easy to apply.
Ponch, unfortunately I am sometimes a bit impatient, and forge ahead with a project without waiting for better information/advice. In other words, by the time rdk2, and Paul replied, I had already drilled one of the baffles, reinstalled it, and took it for a test ride. The notes the 3"ers emit now do seem less harsh at lower throttle twist.

I will be stopping by Home Depot on the way home tonight, to get a couple of those "crumb catchers" though.

Thanks everybody for your input.
I'll let you know the results this weekend.
(and LT: I do rock the earbuds! ;) )

- Kev

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Plan B.2, save the $1.25 and a trip to the store and just borrow the wifes sink basket thingy. blame it on the dog. ponch out

1 - 14 of 14 Posts