Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.
Just like most people, the only thing I do not like about my bike is the exhaust note. Also, because of costs and the corona virus situation, I am unable to buy, or get someone to install a new exhaust system for me. (I also hear, they are all extremely loud, which is not what I want. I just want a throatier sound).

Now, I ran into a mod online where you drill 5 1/4" holes in the exhaust after the O2 sensors. Seems like an effective way to get some more noise. My question is, can this damage the bike? or cause other issues such as rain water seeping in to the exhaust to occur?

Is this something others on this forum have tried? It really does sound like a good option until I can get a new exhaust system to me...

·
Super Moderator
784 Posts
I know pipes are ungodly expensive here in Canada so I understand your hesitance to spend that kind of money. I priced the ones that are on my Nomad and it would be over $1000, plus tax. If it hadn't come with them I would never have spent that kind of money on them.

I'm not familiar with a mod where you drill holes in the pipes, and personally I would be very reluctant to do it. I've seen a few where you drill holes in the baffles, which are inside the pipes and shouldn't create any issues with water getting in. I've never done any exhaust mods as mine came with V&H pipes but I was considering doing it on my last bike and found several YouTube videos on it, most with before and after sounds. If you do end up doing it, go a little at a time. It's easy to drill more holes if it's not loud enough but much harder to refill them if it's too loud.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know pipes are ungodly expensive here in Canada so I understand your hesitance to spend that kind of money. I priced the ones that are on my Nomad and it would be over $1000, plus tax. If it hadn't come with them I would never have spent that kind of money on them.

I'm not familiar with a mod where you drill holes in the pipes, and personally I would be very reluctant to do it. I've seen a few where you drill holes in the baffles, which are inside the pipes and shouldn't create any issues with water getting in. I've never done any exhaust mods as mine came with V&H pipes but I was considering doing it on my last bike and found several YouTube videos on it, most with before and after sounds. If you do end up doing it, go a little at a time. It's easy to drill more holes if it's not loud enough but much harder to refill them if it's too loud.
Yes, the few videos I have seen online were of people drilling the baffles.
My only concern is what could go wrong by introducing these holes; could I drill too deep and damage something?
And you are right. TBR and Arrow are close to a 1000, plus extra for the shipping...

·
Super Moderator
784 Posts
I don't think you can do any damage internally, but remember you're only drilling through the end of the baffle and the metal isn't very thick - maybe 3/16 or 1/8 inch. Maybe someone who's done it will chime in, or see if you can find a good video or tutorial online that gives you some good details on how to do it. I know there was a proven method for my Yamaha that showed where to drill, how many holes, what size holes, etc for the sound you wanted. I was very tempted to try it but I never did.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I don't think you can do any damage internally, but remember you're only drilling through the end of the baffle and the metal isn't very thick - maybe 3/16 or 1/8 inch. Maybe someone who's done it will chime in, or see if you can find a good video or tutorial online that gives you some good details on how to do it. I know there was a proven method for my Yamaha that showed where to drill, how many holes, what size holes, etc for the sound you wanted. I was very tempted to try it but I never did.

Check this one out

·
Registered
2012 Nomad
756 Posts
My Yamaha 950 had the baffles in it drilled out when I got it.
It does sound a bit better than stock but I doubt its going to get you what you want.
It isn't going to do any harm but can cause popping on deceleration. Depending on how much you drill out you might need a fuel tuner.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Many people on this forum has done this mod including myself. There isn't really anything to damage by drilling into the exhaust. It seems like a scary thing to do but honestly it takes like 10 minutes if you have the right drill / drill bit and I personally think it sounds a lot better. Not as loud as i'd like it but I am happy with spending $5 on a drill bit vs. 600 for an exhaust. Any questions let me know

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Many people on this forum has done this mod including myself. There isn't really anything to damage by drilling into the exhaust. It seems like a scary thing to do but honestly it takes like 10 minutes if you have the right drill / drill bit and I personally think it sounds a lot better. Not as loud as i'd like it but I am happy with spending $5 on a drill bit vs. 600 for an exhaust. Any questions let me know
How much is the increase in the sound? Should I drill the holes where the guy in the green kawasaki video has drilled them? or can i drill them on the lower side of the exhaust to avoid water getting in?
Have you had any problem getting water into the exhaust?
My biggest fear is not being able to ride for the short little summer we have because I screwed up my exhaust pipes haha.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I’ve had no issues with water gettin in. I would recommend drilling the holes on the bottom edge of the muffler as opposed to the side only because the exhaust will bleach the flat black paint on the muffler cover. I’ve also seen where people have tapped threads into the holes they drill, so they can close them back up if they want to go back to the original sound or somewhere in between.

·
Registered
147 Posts
There is a Youtube video of a guy drilling and tapping six holes in his pipe at the end. He can screw bolts into the holes to modify the sound if it's too loud. Pretty simple fix. He drilled the holes into the side of the exhaust pipe and after tapping the holes painted them with high heat black paint.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I did 3 holes on mine based off of this video and im really happy with the sound. Also great idea to tap the holes in case you dont like it and you can plug them up. I would say try to stay on the left side of the muffler like he does in the video... The more you go toward the right you could hit the catalytic converter, but you would really have to try to do any real damage to it

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did 3 holes on mine based off of this video and im really happy with the sound. Also great idea to tap the holes in case you dont like it and you can plug them up. I would say try to stay on the left side of the muffler like he does in the video... The more you go toward the right you could hit the catalytic converter, but you would really have to try to do any real damage to it
How is the sound with 3 holes? Is it significantly louder? or am I better off just waiting for an exhaust?

·
Registered
24 Posts
How is the sound with 3 holes? Is it significantly louder? or am I better off just waiting for an exhaust?
I don't like it being obnoxiously loud but I love how it sounds right now. If you did 5 or more like the guy in the video then it'll probably be pretty loud

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did 5 holes on mine two years ago because I wanted it a bit louder but didn't want to spend the money on an aftermarket exhaust. I arranged them in a three above two staggered pattern similar to what is in the above video, closer to the end of the exhaust to avoid problems with the sensor but hidden under the exhaust cover. I did not tap them so they can't be plugged but I did mask the area and painted over them with a flat black heatproof paint.

I have been quite happy with the result. The bike sounds much better but is not so loud that I wake the neighbours when I leave for work in the mornings. It's still not as loud as any of the cruisers my friends ride which is ok. It just sounds way better than it did before and the mod only cost me about $20 and a half hour of time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any issues after the exhaust mod?

·
Registered
'05 800B
1,605 Posts
so it's more sound you want? that why you drilling holes in the baffles? I used to mess with pipes and baffles before, but no more, because it's a never ending effort to achieve the sound you like and it will never happen, never by drilling holes in baffles, if you want loud pipes, buy Cobra or Vance & Hines pipes

1 - 16 of 16 Posts