Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think i might have an Exhaust leak from replacing my stock exhaust. I am getting some backfiring even though I marbled my bike. I plan to replace the exhaust gaskets as soon as they come in from the dealer.

I have a Roadhouse Outlaw 2 into 1 exhaust and I was wondering if an exhaust leak could affect performance of my bike.

Also, is there a for sure way to tell if I really have an exhaust leak?

All my mods are listed in my sig. Thanks!

·
Registered
295 Posts
I think i might have an Exhaust leak from replacing my stock exhaust. I am getting some backfiring even though I marbled my bike. I plan to replace the exhaust gaskets as soon as they come in from the dealer.

I have a Roadhouse Outlaw 2 into 1 exhaust and I was wondering if an exhaust leak could affect performance of my bike.

Also, is there a for sure way to tell if I really have an exhaust leak?

All my mods are listed in my sig. Thanks!
The easiest way to see if you have a leak is to start it up and with a rag in your hand, try to stop the exhaust gas from coming out of the end of the muffler. If you have a leak you'll hear it from wherever it's leaking. Don't try it when it's warmed up, you'll burn your hand.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Depending on what reed valve you marbled backfire is still possible

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Depending on what reed valve you marbled backfire is still possible
I marbled the line coming from the back of the air filter.

Is there another line to marble for backfiring?

Also, I saw in your sig that removed all the emissions junk. Did that boost performance? What did you all take off and how did you do it?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The easiest way to see if you have a leak is to start it up and with a rag in your hand, try to stop the exhaust gas from coming out of the end of the muffler. If you have a leak you'll hear it from wherever it's leaking. Don't try it when it's warmed up, you'll burn your hand.
Thanks. I will give this a try. Great idea.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Check the hoses going into each head. Both of mine had popped off. Slid them back down and adjusted the clamps and the backfiring stopped.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just removed all the reed valves, plugged the cylinder inlets along w the one on the back of the air filter. Then removed the entire emissions box located just to the right of the shock

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just removed all the reed valves, plugged the cylinder inlets along w the one on the back of the air filter. Then removed the entire emissions box located just to the right of the shock
What did you plus the holes with?

Did you get any engine lights?

Did you notice any performance gain or any other effects?

Thanks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Rubber plugs I got from Ace, no engine light because I removed the entire system, if you just remove the hoses and not the box you will get an engine light. I'm unable to give you an accurate answer to performance gains because I did it at the same time I installed my Cobra exhaust so I'm unsure whether the performance was that or the exhaust. Theoretically yes there is a mild performance increase but nothing to write home about.

·
Registered
17 Posts
What kind of backfire are you talking about. I just installed my roadhouse 2 into 1 and I have a small backfire everyonce and a while on decel. I did not plug any hoses or replace the exhaust gastkets. ( I was told by the dealer that they were reusable even thought they were crush gastkets) I have an 09 Custom SE your fix might help fix mine ( is its not supposed to do that on decel)

·
Registered
782 Posts
Rubber plugs I got from Ace, no engine light because I removed the entire system, if you just remove the hoses and not the box you will get an engine light. I'm unable to give you an accurate answer to performance gains because I did it at the same time I installed my Cobra exhaust so I'm unsure whether the performance was that or the exhaust. Theoretically yes there is a mild performance increase but nothing to write home about.
I have plugged the ports on both cylinders and removed all the other hoses just like you did. I zip tied the solenoid valve in the frame channel under the tank to it could not be seen. However, it was my understanding that if I disconnected the solenoid valve and left only the wire under the tank, that I would trip an FI light. Is this not true? Or is there more to removing the system than just unplugging the valve? Please explain.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You're correct the solenoid valve needs to stay attached(I zip tied mine as well) or you'll get the engine light. Did you remove the box that the hoses ran to yet?

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
You're correct the solenoid valve needs to stay attached(I zip tied mine as well) or you'll get the engine light. Did you remove the box that the hoses ran to yet?
Not sure what box you're talking about. The two hoses coming off of the air switching valve go to each cam cover (valve cover).
Tang, there's no performance gained by marbling the PAIR system. Marbling just keeps fresh air from entering your exhaust system. A tuned exhaust system is suppose to help draw the spent gases out of the combustion chamber and draw a bigger charge in. After market performance exhaust, by their design, will bring a little fresh air back up the pipes for every pulse that goes out. On decel the mixture isn't what it should be and unburned hydrocarbons go out the exhaust. The mixture is still super hot and if it meets up with fresh air (O2) it re-ignites. Leaking exhaust gaskets, a PAIR system, and tuned headers are a source for O2. Eliminating the first two is the best you can do unless you go with a fuel manager that can be set rich for zero throttle and then most, or all, of the decel popping is gone.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
AZ, I just figured out what box you're talking about. It's the canister for your evaporative emission control system. You have a California bike. Instead of your fuel tank venting to atmosphere, the vapors are captured then sent up to the switching valve where they are sent into the exhaust pipes.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Darn California and its emissions! Ya I spoke w a mechanic first before I yanked it, but its now easier and more accessible to change the height on my Scootworks LoRidr kit... Which I'm dropping to 3" next time I get a chance

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
What kind of backfire are you talking about. I just installed my roadhouse 2 into 1 and I have a small backfire everyonce and a while on decel. I did not plug any hoses or replace the exhaust gastkets. ( I was told by the dealer that they were reusable even thought they were crush gastkets) I have an 09 Custom SE your fix might help fix mine ( is its not supposed to do that on decel)
After plugging my exhaust with a rag I found out that I don't have an exhaust leak. I just thought that since I had the backfiring on decel with my bike marbled.

I made the backfiring much better by adding more fuel with my fuel processor (Gman Bully) at cruising speed, not under load.

I also changed when it kicks in more fuel at the lowest level to add fuel sooner.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and your help.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts