Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 99 800 classic keeps getting an exhaust leak right at the front header pipe. I had been noticing an exhaust leak near the front of my bike and one day I noticed that the flange nut was almost half way off on one of them. I tightened the nut down and the leak went away after riding for a bit the leak came back. Tighten it again it goes away as soon as the bike heats up it comes back. Anyone else ever have this problem? If so how do I fix it? Is there a gasket in there that can go bad??
Thanks for any help.

Hatrick

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
There is a crush gasket on them. My rear pipe gasket needs replaced every couple years, its about due now. I can usually tell when it needs done because I start getting the exhaust popping when decelerating. I put split lock washers on mine to keep the nuts from backing off as much.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
you're in vermont, you going to americade in lake george ny? every been there?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe when is it? I'm only about 2 and a half hrs from lake george. I'm still fairly new to street bikes grew up on dirt bikes so the basics are all there. I can ride just getting used to the different riding style

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was the crush gaskets!! Replaced them and perfect now was a very simple job to do also took me all of about an hour to do both! Thank you for the advice Rick!! cheers! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts