Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650, 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone, I need some help!

I just installed my new 21" 550mm Delkevic black ceramic exhaust on my 2019 Vulcan S 650.

I had a few questions though...

First off, i'll go on record and say that Delkevic ships the most LAUGHABLY pathetic instructions I have EVER seen with ANY product. A few blurbs of text with NO photos. They assume you'll just KNOW how to do it. It's not HARD, but there's a few minor questions that arose that are not addressed in the paperwork.

Can SOMEONE who either OWNS a Delkevic exhaust, or has a STOCK bike, please take a QUICK PHOTO of your headers, specifically WHERE THEY ATTACH TO THE ENGINE/EXHAUST MANIFOLD.

I want to see if the mounting bracket is sitting FLUSH up against the motor, or if there's a tiny gap.

The header pipes of the Delkevic bolted on SUPER snug, but there's still a LITTLE bit of space where it APPEARS like it could be a bit tighter. I don't have a photo at the moment to show you, but I can take one when I get home.

In the meantime, if ANYONE with a Vulcan S can just show me where the exhaust pipes attach to the motor, I'd like to see if it sits flush, or if there's this little space.

I didn't really think this would be an issue, so I can't remember what my own stock exhaust looked like BEFORE I pulled it off (LOL).

Also, I used the included spacer when mounting the new exhaust. From the SIDE of the bike, everything looks fine... from BEHIND though, it seems to point away from the bike at a bit of an odd angle.

Is this normal? There are shockingly FEW photos of a Delkevic exhaust taken from directly BEHIND the bike.

WITHOUT the spacer, the exhaust pipe seemed to rub up against other parts of the bike.

Anyway, I'm not sure if this makes any sense, but if someone could please help me out, that would be GREAT!

If you have a Delkevic 16" or 21" exhaust, please attach a photo of the mounted exhaust as viewed from directly BEHIND the bike, just above ground level. I'm curious what kind of angle the exhaust sits, if it's parallel or pointed outward slightly.

o_O

·
Super Moderator
3,015 Posts
I don’t have your model, but will try to help. Here is a Goggle Video search. Would start looking at installation videos for some answers. If cannot find what you need, contact delkevic. They don’t have a customer service phone number, in fact no phone number all on the website. Most exhaust installations require to leave exhaust fully attached but very loose, then tighten (torque) the header pipes first, then the mounting connections. There usually is a slight gap between the header flange and the cylinder head. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Vulcan S 650, 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Here's what I meant about the "little gap" between the header pipes and the engine.

Does this look ok? I don't think it can go on tighter.

·
Registered
2016 Vulcan S, Candy Matte Orange, Delkevic 14" Carbon Exhaust, PCV w/ Auto Tune, Morimoto Lighting
156 Posts
I have a delkevic system. There should be a gap between the flange and head. Do not over tighten the nuts or you risk breaking the stud off in the head.

I'm unsure about the rest of it since I removed my slash cut and went to the carbon fiber can

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I had the same exhaust on my Vulcan s minus the ceramic.

The included spacer is not used.

Use the stock exhaust mounting bolt; you can either remove the nut from the muffler and reuse it; or get a 10mmx1.5mm(fine) nylock or serrated nut.

The silencer slips into the case opening that requires a little persuasion with a rubber mallet.

The headers bolt directly using new copper gaskets(included). Pro tip put a bit of the copper silicone that comes the system to hold the gasket in place prior to install.

The spacing between header flange and manifold is normal provided you used the new gaskets(you will have to pry out the old gaskets). Torque evenly and check after bringing to temperature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same exhaust on my Vulcan s minus the ceramic.

The included spacer is not used.

Use the stock exhaust mounting bolt; you can either remove the nut from the muffler and reuse it; or get a 10mmx1.5mm(fine) nylock or serrated nut.

The silencer slips into the case opening that requires a little persuasion with a rubber mallet.

The headers bolt directly using new copper gaskets(included). Pro tip put a bit of the copper silicone that comes the system to hold the gasket in place prior to install.

The spacing between header flange and manifold is normal provided you used the new gaskets(you will have to pry out the old gaskets). Torque evenly and check after bringing to temperature.

Hey texasnurse, hope you are doing well. I am currently installing the 16" delkevic exhaust on my 19' Vulcan S and am having trouble prying out the old gaskets. I'm not sure what the best way is and I'm worried I'm going to screw up the surrounding area by trying to pry them out incorrectly/inefficiently. How did you get them out? Any help would be very very appreciated. Thanks for your time!!

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Use an angled pick tool, and get behind the gaskets, they are crushed into position.

New install tip put a dab of included silicone to retain the new gaskets. Tighten evenly and don’t overtourqe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Use an angled pick tool, and get behind the gaskets, they are crushed into position.

New install tip put a dab of included silicone to retain the new gaskets. Tighten evenly and don’t overtourqe.

Appreciate it. Ended up getting them out before I saw your response, used the pick tool to dig into the little protruding ring to pull them out. Thanks again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts