Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to start off, I have done quite a few searches on here and it pulled up tons of hits. I have read a few but still have questions.

I have a 2012 Voyager and it has stock pipes and air cleaner. I recently went on a 3,200 mile ride and found out that I may want a bit more power on the top end. My dilemma is that my wife and I love to ride and I don't want to make my bike LOUD. Are there aftermarket pipes that I can put on but not make the bike LOUD? There were 2 guys on the trip with me that have aftermarket pipes and they were painful to ride behind because they were so loud. Also is there an air cleaner that i can put in that inst too loud?

Bottom line is I am looking for quiet performance. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
there are after market slip-ons that will accommodate baffles. They usually do not come with the slip-ons themselves (from what I see); but you just have to purchase them in addition. Again from what I see they generally reduce the noise by approx 5dB.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Unfortunately performance and quiet pipes don't really go together too well. You add extra air and free up the exhaust so it's a bit unavoidable. I believe the cobra slip on's have a baffle in them that is re-packable. As far as aftermarket intake noise, some are louder than others. I had a Thunder Manufacturing teardrop kit on that made a horrific sucking noise, then switched to the Thunder round kit and it's very quiet. I have the Freedom Performance True duals and keep the baffles packed good with fiberglass....they sound great to me. I also modified the baffle a bit by using a screwdriver the open up the scalloped holes a bit more towards the inside which helps some. Here is a pic of one of my baffle's

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
When it comes to exhaust what constitutes LOUD is really subjective. Rather than give an opinion I can tell you what I went through to get the sound and performance where it felt right to me. I have a 2010 Nomad that I bought new in December of that year. I rode it completely stock for about a year then got the itch to move towards "the big 3", so I bought a Cobra FI2000 fuel processor and Vance and Hines slip-ons. The Cobra was an easy install and its a pretty simple unit so adjustment are just 3 pots. The V&H were another story. I liked the tone but the volume was more than I could stand so after only about a month I took them off. From there I installed a set of tapered OEM mufflers from a 2012 (I think the tapered mufflers look better) and they sounded OK, especially after I put some miles on them. I initially thought I would remove the fuel processor too but when I dialed all the pots down to zero to simulate not having it, I realized that the bike was running smoother with it, even with the pots set a 3.5-1-0 it was enough to dial out the factory lean settings and I've kept it that way ever since. About a year ago I put the original slash cut mufflers that came with the bike back on (being retired gives you lots of time to fiddle with this stuff). The biggest change came a couple of months ago when I installed a K&N air filter in the stock air box. I was surprised at how much difference it made, the bike definitely pulls harder and 5th gear is much more user friendly now. The things that I didn't expect is that the K&N seems to have had an effect on the exhaust note and now I am finally at a point where the sound and performance are where I want them. Two weekends ago my son and I took a trip through the Catskills and Adirondacks and after 1000 miles of mountain roads I can say with certainty that the bike is running better than ever. Like I said at the beginning, exhaust sound is a personal thing but an expensive one to experiment with. If I was going to make a recommendation it would be to try the K&N drop in filter (I think it was about $50 from Amazon) and maybe a simple fuel processor (under $200) and see how you like it. You can always add the exhaust later if you decide to and you would most likely want the other two at that point anyway. In the interest of full disclosure, I weight just under 200lbs and don't carry a passenger, which may have had an effect on my results. Good Luck.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Honestly I would just add a fuel processer like the PC-V then have it tuned for performance. If you want more power add the Thunder Manufacturing intake second then retune. Finally if you still want more power Freedom Performance Pipes have a quiet baffle. I would just do one at a time so you know whether you really need the pipes. Just remember to get it tuned professionally after each MOD.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I find my V&H slipons to be very tame at cruise. My wife can hear the radio from the back at 80 mph. Sounds like a deep rumbling muscle car. The volume does go up if you hit wide open throttle, but most dont ride these bikes in thst fashion. The Power Commander is the way to go as far as fuel processors for sure. I was able to pretty much tune out decel popping and the bike runs smoothe at all rpm ranges. 6th gear is now usable from as low as 65 mph. I average about 38 to 40 mpg in mixed riding street and freeway.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies guys! I should have mentioned that I already have a Cobra Fi2000R programmer on the bike. After install I did notice a bit more pull from mid and full throttle and my decel popping is gone as well as the low speed throttle herky jerkies. I've been very happy with it. I have 6,050 miles on the bike and i put the programmer on at about 2,800 miles.

I think I will try an after market air filter and see how that helps. I really just don't want to make the bike much louder. I enjoy that my wife likes to go on rides and I worry that a decent increase in exhaust sound may detour that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts