Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There,
Just received a notice from the EPA for noise levels on my bike (2008 VN900 custom with Cobra slashdowns) pic attached
I have 3 weeks odd before I need to get it officially tested
Is there anyone in Sydney, NSW Australia who has a set of standard exhaust pipes they can loan/sell/swap to me
Or failing that any suggestions to shut this girl up?
I have put cobra quiet core baffles in & they shut her up a bit but probably not enough
The requirement is that it has to be under 100 decibels at 2850 rpm
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi Vinnie. I have the same bike, same pipes unbaffled and have not had a problem. Who ordered the notice on you? I thought my pipes would cause me a problem at inspection time but the shop that put the pipes on said to come and see them and there would be no worries. Can I suggest you go to AKRF.com.au and ask the same question and see how you go? Where in Sydney are you? We have a nice little 'gang' down here that regularly catches up. Be nice to ride with another Custom.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Vinnie. I have the same bike, same pipes unbaffled and have not had a problem. Who ordered the notice on you? I thought my pipes would cause me a problem at inspection time but the shop that put the pipes on said to come and see them and there would be no worries. Can I suggest you go to AKRF.com.au and ask the same question and see how you go? Where in Sydney are you? We have a nice little 'gang' down here that regularly catches up. Be nice to ride with another Custom.
Hi there Lone Star thanks for that
I had it tested by a mate who's in construction & he has a whiz bang sound tester for Jackhammers etc. Anyway turns out it was only getting up to 80-85 db & that was revving it a bit. What's the name of your place down south?
The EPA letter says I can go to Danic's in Albion Park Rail. Is that the one?
I'll definitely bring it down for a spin too!!
Thanks!!
Vince

·
Registered
100 Posts
No worries mate. I know where Danics are but I have not taken the bike (or the car) there. I usually go to the Kwaka dealer down at Nowra. (Great Southern Motorcycles).They are the ones that put the pipes on so I would be very disappointed if they turned around and said they weren't legal. But then, I'm not sure what sort of paperwork you need to satisfy the E.P.A. Maybe Danics have the 'authority' you need to satisfy. Let me know what happens...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi there,

Just did the test & I'm over - I was "recorded" at 108 db.
Do you know anyone at all who has a stock exhaust they want to sell/loan?
Getting desperate & I'd really appreciate any more suggestions
I have 3 weeks odd to get this sorted..
Thanks
Vince

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,849 Posts
Someone here has to have a set they want to get rid of. Check the sell site here you'll probably find a set.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Why not just wrap the baffles as mentioned earlier? It will cost stuff all and you could easily change it after the test if its too quiet.

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I don't know what else is being offered, but I have a set I'll give you. . . if you cover shipping.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Out of curiosity, if you do in fact get tested with your Cobras (since your friend's meter indicated you should be alright), can you post your numbers here? The Cobras are loud, but I always maintained that they'd probably pass the standard (I forget what it's called, but it's the same test pretty well everywhere that has a law about it).

Remember, a change of a few dB is a HUGE change, 100dB is truly deafening.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi there
The test at idle came back at 96 db odd
The guy then popped a tacho on the engine & tested it 3 times at 2850 rpm & it came back with an average of 108 db
I thought the guy was somewhat dodgy - however he then did a test on a another guy's bike a big 1500 cc Indian with the stock exhaust. The guy had the test done 6 months before & it was 96 db then, & he said it should be 96 db this time & after 3 tests it was
Around we go again

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't know what else is being offered, but I have a set I'll give you. . . if you cover shipping.
Hi there
Thanks very much for that - I'm trying to get a few things organised here, if nothing pans out can you let me know how much the shipping $$ would be (In USD?)

Thanks
Vince

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Another thing - I have an lovely Cobra FI200r powerpro installed on my VN900. When I do manage to source a stock exhaust should I take the powerpro off? So the bike would be completely stock? Not for legal/illegal reasons but for keeping the engine happy purposes - will it run ok with a stock exhaust & the powerpro fitted?
Thanks
Vince

·
Registered
148 Posts
Another thing - I have an lovely Cobra FI200r powerpro installed on my VN900. When I do manage to source a stock exhaust should I take the powerpro off? So the bike would be completely stock? Not for legal/illegal reasons but for keeping the engine happy purposes - will it run ok with a stock exhaust & the powerpro fitted?
Thanks
Vince
The powrpro should be fine in theory, since they call it an auto-tuner. Even if it weren't, if you're planning on going back to your cobras after the test, it wouldn't hurt to have it running a bit rich for a while, unless they also test tailpipe emissions.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I think you could wrap the baffle with something. 1/4" fiberglass baffle packing, header wrap, 1/4" stove rope, ect. Just to pass the test. Then take the wrap off after the test. Closing off the baffle holes will quiet it down.

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
I think you could wrap the baffle with something. 1/4" fiberglass baffle packing, header wrap, 1/4" stove rope, ect. Just to pass the test. Then take the wrap off after the test. Closing off the baffle holes will quiet it down.
Absolutely! I would bet there is something easy to be had locally that would wrap the baffles easily for the day of the testing. get home and remove it. then drive it like you stole it!

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Hi Vinnie.
Iam in Blacktown and have a set of stock pipes with drilled back plate fitted to my vn900 Classic.
Let me know if I can help you by lending them to you to get you passed the noise test.
I have seen on ebay a guy around Penrith has stock sets for $399.
But let me know if I can help you out. I guess it would only cost you time and replacement gaskets for us.
Regards Jason

1 - 20 of 21 Posts