Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am new to this. I have a 2008 Vulcan 900 classic B. It has the stock exhaust. Can I change just mufflers or do I need a whole new exhaust. I want a different sound. Also, where can I get good parts and accessories cheap

·
Registered
169 Posts
Keep the stock exhaust - unless it is damaged or rusted. You will need to buy a whole new system.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Stock is better than any aftermarket exhaust you can buy!!!

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Search the forum for "debaffle" and you'll find a lot of information on altering the stock pipes to change the sound. Keep in mind that when you do this, you're making irreversible change to about $1500 dollars worth of stock parts. I think what Biebs was referring to is the fact that a large number of riders on this forum changed to after market exhaust systems, then went back to stock because it was too loud to ride.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I put Cobra Dragsters on my 900, and they're OK, but wished I had put Vance & Hines on it like I did my 1600. They had a better tone. I don't think after market pipes are too loud at all. Maybe I'm deaf? :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have debaffled mine. It sounds like s**t. But I can't stand the 6ft long bazookas that Kawi put on.
Check out Baron's Hack n Slash mufflers. They are straight thru slip-ons. Baron's include instructions where to cut your head pipes and how to mount the mufflers. Its a FAR cheaper option then getting full pipes. This is the route I'm taking this winter. I just can't justify spending $500+ for Cobras or V&H. That's money spent elsewhere on the bike.

·
Registered
'05 800B
1,418 Posts
don't flame me for my opinion so here goes. When removing the baffles or modifying them on stock pipes, you will never get that nice rumble sound you're looking for. It will end up sounding horrible and you;ll be disappointed, plus you've ruined a good set of stock pipes in the hatchet job process. Ya just can't get that rumble sound with stock pipes no matter what you do with them.

Reactions: SteveJB

·
Registered
242 Posts
I put the Cobra swept on mine and like the look and sound. Personally they aren't to loud but I still creep off my street at 6am so I don't piss the neighbors off.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a 2016 900 classic. I scrapped the stock exhaust and installed Cobra Drag Pipes. Made a great improvement on sound and can feel the bike running better. I have had no issues with just changing the exhaust. No rejetting or tuning. Also I found the best price on partsgiant.com. The shipping was free, ordered it Wednesday and it arrived Saturday. Easy to install myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,858 Posts
I put the Baron's Big and Nasty on mine. Really like the sound.

Attachments

·
Registered
314 Posts
I did the Baron's hack and slash cause I was looking for something a bit cheaper than the full system at the time. Its definitely not a low rumble, but an improvement over stock to my ears. I am going to play around with repacking them and see what kind of sound I get.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I wanted that deep throaty sound so I built my own. The trick is a combination of mods.. First is down pipes, larger is better went to 1.5" diameter. Muffler is the same size as stock but shorter and Stainless Steel. Yes it has baffles no Glass. Also Air intake makes a difference. Went Mega OPEN. I had to create my own MAP, using PC3. Sound is deep, not too loud and has nice ring. I kept the Stock Shields. Saved about 8 pounds as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I wanted that deep throaty sound so I built my own. The trick is a combination of mods.. First is down pipes, larger is better went to 1.5" diameter. Muffler is the same size as stock but shorter and Stainless Steel. Yes it has baffles no Glass. Also Air intake makes a difference. Went Mega OPEN. I had to create my own MAP, using PC3. Sound is deep, not too loud and has nice ring. I kept the Stock Shields. Saved about 8 pounds as well.
View attachment 240522
Wow. You mind giving more info on this? Where’d you get the mufflers? How did you attach them? They look great.

·
Registered
5 Posts
View attachment 240522
Hey I have a 2006 Kawasaki vulcan nomad 1600D!! How can I get pipes like yours please?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts