Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, what is the general consensus on manifold gaskets when swapping to an aftermarket exhaust? 2015 KVS with 3300 miles on it.

If you did change them, did you use anything other than OEM? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
261 Posts
If they're in good shape, just reuse them.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I used the new ones that were included with my Delkevic system. No reason not to. Unless you are too lazy to pry the old gaskets out of the exhaust headers. They are one time use crush gaskets!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I should've included that I'm purchasing a delkevic. I wasnt aware they came with new gaskets. I guess that solves that lol. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
When you install the new system you may think that you didn't have any gaskets in there but there are.
They are crushed flat and welded onto the head from the heat. You need to pry them out with a small screwdriver and some needle nose pliers. I bent 2 screwdrivers trying to get them out. It's tricky but not really hard. I used some silicone grease to hold the new gaskets in place while bolting down the new header pipes.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Thanks for the tips Tom. I'm excited to get this in!
Which Delkevic did you decide on? Whichever it is be prepared for the noise. I have the 14 inch DL-14 Carbon Fiber exhaust with the optional longer "Quieter" Baffle and that thing is still Super Loud. Actually too loud for me. If I decide to keep my bike I will probably go with the Arrow Rebel or the Matador II by Miller which are two of the least annoying sounding exhausts for the Vulcan S out there. Either way make sure to wear ear plugs. It gets really loud and annoying at highway speeds where the Vulcan S revs more than twice as much as a traditional V-Twin. Also I would recommend a Booster Plug to compensate for the Lean Condition you will create by removing the stock Catalytic Converter and Muffler. That thing weighs a ton so be prepared when you drop it. Also make sure the O2 sensor has been disconnected and removed prior to removing the stock exhaust. Good Luck and shoot us some pics of your ride when you got the exhaust on!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
When you install the new system you may think that you didn't have any gaskets in there but there are.

They are crushed flat and welded onto the head from the heat. You need to pry them out with a small screwdriver and some needle nose pliers. I bent 2 screwdrivers trying to get them out. It's tricky but not really hard. I used some silicone grease to hold the new gaskets in place while bolting down the new header pipes.

There is a little something called an angled pick tool that works wonders...Sheesh Screwdrivers...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
LOL, I used what I had. Next time I will be sure to purchase a fancy angled pick :grin2: I did have a small curved needle nosed pair of pliers which came in handy once those exhaust gaskets were pried way from the head. Those things weren't easy to get out. BTW, by the time I was done with those small screwdrivers they looked like fancy angled picks :wink2:

·
Registered
261 Posts
I guess I should've included that I'm purchasing a delkevic. I wasnt aware they came with new gaskets. I guess that solves that lol. Thanks guys.
Yeah if you've got new gaskets already, use em. If you didn't have em, you can reuse the old ones. Should you? Well, gaskets are cheap and if you've got everything open anyway, why not? Will reusing the old ones cause an exhaust leak? Most likely not. But if you don't have to take the chance, don't.

That said, I've reused exhaust gaskets on many vehicles over the years. I know what an exhaust leak sounds like and if I ever went the cheap route to save time/effort only to realize I had an exhaust leak, I'd take the extra time to take it apart and get new gaskets in there.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Most aftermarket exhausts are flow through and have very little internal pressure. I was able to re-use my original gaskets when I fitted a TB exhaust. I kept the new gaskets for when I fit the OEM exhaust to sell. The Cat creates quite a bit of pressure and result in a leak at the head for sure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts