Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.
After removing upper pipe to replace a broken bolt from the pipe braket, I put everything back and the exhaust gasket start to smoke a little bit and smell like burnt, but after a minute or so stopped. Anyway, I was wondering if I need to replace that gasket now....??
Also noticed some kind of seal where the two pipes connect together (junction??)That was coming appart too.
I can't tell if the exhaust is leaking by popping in decelaration , cause I already get a lot of that popping.
Like to know what you think

Thanks!!

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'm sure someone else with even more experience will chime in too, but it seems to me from everywhere I've read in various Forums, Newsgroups, etc. that any time you pull your exhaust pipes off, you really should replace the crush gaskets to get it to seal up again completely. I just accept that as a given.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Not sure if I have more experience, I'm still trying to learn to spell :), but those gaskets, the copper crush gaskets are designed to be single use, and replaced, not reused. That could be what you ae experiencing.

·
Registered
397 Posts
BTW Shiloh, I hope you didn't think I was, er, complaining about your sig... no, actually I kinda liked it. It's just... it's just that once I read it, suddenly my mind was about a million miles away from thinking about motorcycles! <nudge, nudge, wink, wink>

·
Registered
83 Posts
I recently installed a slightly used stock exhaust on my bike. I installed new crush washers and on my first ride i could smell a "burning" smell. It went away after about 20 min and I just assumed it was crap in the pipes being burned off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts