Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

581 - 593 of 593 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey, new to the forum though been reading for few months. I am a new Vulcan owner, riding since age 10 however had quit a long rest (17 yrs) after falling from a roof and damaging my back & leg. Always dreamt of climbing back in the saddle one day and now at 57 finally pulled the trigger. My dream was a Trumpy but absolutely in love with this incredibly nice machine which fits and rides 'just right'.

Not overly impressed with the sound, I
did the drill mod originally and went from 3 to 5 to 7 holes. 7 definitely best but it remained a somewhat hollow tinny sound with no depth in the Bass. Great 'Free' mod though !

I then bought the Delkevic Stainless 16 inch Turned Slashcut, love how you can set the turn angle, mine is 45 degrees down and looks sweet.

These pipes sound incredible and look sexy for sure, simply beautifully elegant ! (Arrow Rebel is butt ugly imho - sorry Rebel owners).

However, holy smoke this thing is head throbbing loud ! ... was not prepared for that. So thankfully the fix is easy.

If you similarly feel your pipes are a tad too loud then just get yourself some steel wire & muffler padding, I used about 45cm of 2mm steel wire and this :- www.mxstore.com.au/p/DEP-Small-Mat-Muffler-Packing/DEPM1
Its about 10mm thick.

Cut enough to wrap only the outward facing end of the baffle (the thinner end with most perforated holes) and make a hole to go over the small welded nut that holds the baffle inside the can.

Take your wire and from the outside poke it thru one of the outermost holes of the small baffle and make a double loop inside so the wire cannot pull back out. Now wrap the wire firmly around the outside of the muffler matt about 6 times then just press it down and cut off any excess wire. I did experiment by pushing a piece of rolled up muffler matt inside the baffle but its too much and chokes the airflow excessively.

There will be a bit of 'burnoff' of the matting when you first fire up but it quickly goes away, just be sure to startup in a well ventilated area so not to breathe in the fibres.

The end result for me was the sound is less harsh, still sounds incredible but I can ride without earplugs and my head doesn't throb plus here in Oz it may also draw less attention from over zealous Constabulary ! 😎

ps. This method should work with any pipes with baffles and room to wrap. It does deteriorate over time but is dead easy to refresh. I may use high temp stainless wool matt next time instead of the fibreglass type stuff. Longer lasting if you have it handy.

·
Registered
2019 Vulcan S Cafe edition
27 Posts
What a great post and welcome from a fairly newbie to this forum.
I too hated the look of the pipe when I first saw mine here in Portugal.
To me it looks like a mini chimney stack.
I looked at the options for a replacement pipe and struck Lucky on eBay U.K.
I found a complete Ixil system.Price in £’s new was about 900,guy had the bike but never fitted it.So a new system at half price.Only problem I am not in the UK till September.
I can live with that as not much riding here now as close to 40c temperatures.
I also have a Guzzi 750 which I have ordered reverse cone megas for.Had one previously and wow did that sound great,think I will be looking for muffler packing soon.
Enjoy your ride and the forum.

·
Premium Member
1,440 Posts
Yes the Arrow Rebel is butt ugly and is 6 inches too long. But it sounds so good. I REALLY loved the Danmoto looks, but it was too loud even with an extra baffle. 😎. Glad your endeavor worked out for you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
As they say, beauty's in the eye of the beholder eh ! And the Delkevic does sound beastly, nice down low rumbles that are only appreciated live as the youtube clips don't do it justice imho.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yep, me again. Found my tripod and fixed some miscellanious issues, so I re-recorded my exhaust video. This is the same sub-$400 exhaust, minus the dB killer.

581 - 593 of 593 Posts