Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right I have had done various searches and not got what im looking for.

I will be ordering Cobra Swept exhausts for my 2011 Custom SE. What im wanting to know is not how to fit them but what tools I need to fit them.

My toolbox is poorly stocked and I just need to get all of the tools in order for a easy install. Plus I need new gasket rings that's correct isn't it what size do i need to order?

Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Buy a set of metric combo wrenches, minimum 10 thru 15mm. Also, a 1/2" combo wrench. Next, 3/8" drive sockets 8 thru 14mm, 6" 3/8 drive extension and a 3/8 drive torque wrench. The crush gasket part number is 11009-1856. The torque setting for the nuts holding the pipes to the heads is 12 ft-lb. Look closely how much stud is passing thru the flange holding the pipe to the head. You may want to add a washer or two to be sure the acorn nut doesn't bottom out on the stud before it's really crushing the O ring gasket.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Buy a set of metric combo wrenches, minimum 10 thru 15mm. Also, a 1/2" combo wrench. Next, 3/8" drive sockets 8 thru 14mm, 6" 3/8 drive extension and a 3/8 drive torque wrench. The crush gasket part number is 11009-1856. The torque setting for the nuts holding the pipes to the heads is 12 ft-lb. Look closely how much stud is passing thru the flange holding the pipe to the head. You may want to add a washer or two to be sure the acorn nut doesn't bottom out on the stud before it's really crushing the O ring gasket.
Well that was a great answer. i don't understand a lot of the tools but you can learn everything on the internet. Thanks for the answer its brill.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Well that was a great answer. i don't understand a lot of the tools but you can learn everything on the internet. Thanks for the answer its brill.
There you go. Just take your shopping list to Sears, except for the two crush gaskets of course.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There you go. Just take your shopping list to Sears, except for the two crush gaskets of course.
Unfortunately im in the UK, but we have good cheap mail order companies where I can source it all from. unfortunately I just get ripped off for the exhausts i buy from the shipping and tax. But I know I will be happy when they arrive. Thanks again. Another quick I sure it doesn't but changing the exhaust doesn't interfere with manufactures warranty does it?

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Unfortunately im in the UK, but we have good cheap mail order companies where I can source it all from. unfortunately I just get ripped off for the exhausts i buy from the shipping and tax. But I know I will be happy when they arrive. Thanks again. Another quick I sure it doesn't but changing the exhaust doesn't interfere with manufactures warranty does it?
Well, you can be sure if the dealer can find a reason to blame changes you may have made on the condition of your bike, they will. Simply making the mods will not in itself cause the dealer to void your warranty.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All helpful information. I have been looking into tools its hard to get a torque wrench with that Lb torque.

And thanks for the Cobra installation that's very useful.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
All helpful information. I have been looking into tools its hard to get a torque wrench with that Lb torque.

And thanks for the Cobra installation that's very useful.
Try Amazon since your shopping on line. They have a cheap 3/8" drive torque wrench that has a range of 10-80 ft/lb

1 - 13 of 13 Posts