Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Looks like the PO got about half way thru removing the baffles and stopped. There are several videos on youtube that show how to do it. Suggest you check those out, finish the job and spray some black hi temp paint inside the pipes. I did this to mine not long after I got it.....love the way it sounds now, not too loud but has a nice rumble!

Good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you pull the baffles on a 1500 FI do you need to reprogram the system? I do want to make it sound better but I do not want to mess my motor up.

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
When you pull the baffles on a 1500 FI do you need to reprogram the system? I do want to make it sound better but I do not want to mess my motor up.
You shouldn't. When I debaffled mine I ran it for over a year before I went with straight pipes, at which point I did the air and jets too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input everyone... I might mess with trying to pull them. They don't seem to be loose at all. From the videos I have watched I should be able to pull them out with a needle nose pliers. They don't want to move at all.

·
Registered
203 Posts
PO may not have "sawed" completely thru. If not, you'll need a hole saw to finish cutting,then pull them out. One of mine came out easy with pliers, the other had to be tapped a few times with a mallet to "break it loose". It was still harder to get out than the first one.

I rode stock a couple of weeks before installing open air filters on both sides and a Dobeck fuel control. It was fine, but a bit stronger with the mods.....frankly, not enough to justify $300+ spent.

Once you have the baffles out, don't totally judge the sound sitting still at idle. Revving gives you an indication of what to expect, but accelerating while you're on the bike is a whole different sound. Nice "rumble & grumble" when decelerating too!

Good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PO may not have "sawed" completely thru. If not, you'll need a hole saw to finish cutting,then pull them out. One of mine came out easy with pliers, the other had to be tapped a few times with a mallet to "break it loose". It was still harder to get out than the first one.

I rode stock a couple of weeks before installing open air filters on both sides and a Dobeck fuel control. It was fine, but a bit stronger with the mods.....frankly, not enough to justify $300+ spent.

Once you have the baffles out, don't totally judge the sound sitting still at idle. Revving gives you an indication of what to expect, but accelerating while you're on the bike is a whole different sound. Nice "rumble & grumble" when decelerating too!

Good luck!
Hi,
I went back and watched the video again. It seems like they cut where the arrow is in my picture instead of where mine are cut. I checked my pipes, the way they are cut there is something solid about 6 1/2" in. Do I just need to find a deeper than normal hole saw and cut further in? Do I need to find a smaller hole saw and cut them where the video seemed to cut them? I put a pipe in them and tried to tap them side to side, they do not move at all.
Thank you,

Attachments

·
Registered
203 Posts
Here are some pics of mine. Shows the end of the exhaust, the baffle once out and the hole saw I used - 1 1/2" metal. Looking at the baffle you can see there's nothing holding them in other than being slipped on a pipe inside once the outer ring is cut. One of mine came out easy, the other I had to work at. I tapped with a mallet, wiggled with vise grips, etc until it broke loose.

I didn't change air filter or add fuel control for awhile. Then I put filters on both sides as shown in the pics and added Dobeck EJK controller. Frankly, a little difference in smoothness put not great increase in torque or power.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looking at yours, I think they must be double walled (I was wondering). previous owner cut out side of the the wall you see in your pipe. If I want to get them out I think I need to find a smaller hole saw and re-cut. I wish they had not cut them incorrectly, if I cut them and remove the baffle correctly now, I will have a goofy looking ring on the end that seems to be floating. Has anyone had any luck removing that other layer?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts