Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 LT I installed the Cobra 2-1 exh. and it was determined I might need the EFI fuel management module. I tried the Cobra module but had problems with defective wiring, took forever to get credit. The dealer promotes the Power Commander so we installed it. I am beginning to wonder if I needed anything. I would like to hear from you guys.

·
Registered
372 Posts
did you notice any differences and have you changed any settings?

the 9s run a little lean as it is but if you tweak the programmer a little you can clean that up and increase your mileage as well.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We tweaked it a little, but it just isn't a smooth as I would like. The plugs look good at each service interval, as far as color etc. I probably should go over it again. I have to hook it up to the computer to adjust and I haven't had time to do that. Thanks for the input. I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to tech stuff. I am too old to grasp it.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I noticed low rpm rough idle and some popping with an occassional back fire. High speeds are better than low end. I think this was what the tech was working to accompolish. Low end power is about the same top end is better, mileage is about the same around 45 -50..

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
We tweaked it a little, but it just isn't a smooth as I would like. The plugs look good at each service interval, as far as color etc. I probably should go over it again. I have to hook it up to the computer to adjust and I haven't had time to do that. Thanks for the input. I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to tech stuff. I am too old to grasp it.
I believe there is a "auto tune" module available for the power commander,maybe something to look into.

I run a FI2000 power pro, it completely auto tunes itself at 80 times a second. It wasnt cheap at $500, but the bike runs runs as smooth as a babies bum.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I liked to Cobra f2000r module. It comes preset etc for the pipes, but it had a lose wire. I later found out they have had a problem with them. I like the preset idea.The wire was molded into the case and couldn't be repaired, had to send it back. The cc company had to get my money back for me.

·
Banned
593 Posts
I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to tech stuff. I am too old to grasp it.
I hope that "1965" in your username means something other than your birth year, then, otherwise it just sounds like a cop out. If you're in your 40's, then you're plenty young to learn technical material. You might be unable to grasp it, but it is either because you just can't keep up with it, or you're unwilling to. Plenty of really old people learn new brain surgery techniques and program computers daily.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I noticed low rpm rough idle and some popping with an occassional back fire. High speeds are better than low end. I think this was what the tech was working to accompolish. Low end power is about the same top end is better, mileage is about the same around 45 -50..
It can be difficult tuning just by the seat of your pants. I suggest you bring the bike to a dyno shop that uses Dyno Jet (Power Commander) equipment. They are listed on the Dyno Jet website. Tell them how you ride and what you are looking for. Each bike is different so a map for one bike similar to yours won't necessarily work well with yours. The time spent in a good dyno shop will wake up your bike. I suggest, since you have an open exhaust, that you "marble" your PAIR system to minimize the decel popping you're experiencing.

·
Registered
424 Posts
It Ain't Bragging If it's True.

Here is the proof of the performance of a PCV and a good custom map. And Cobra 2-1 and BAK

If you have the Cobra 2-1 and any After Market Air Cleaner I would be happy to send you a copy of the map.

I got the map from another rider. Another Man's Map has been a DREAM for me.

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
Popping out the exhaust on deceleration is a sign of being lean, also any hesitation off idle from 1st gear is also a sign of being lean, and with free-flowing exhaust pipes tend to lean out and you need to richen the mixture, when blipping the throttle when bike is cold and it backfires thru the carb is a sign of a lean condition, if the blipping gets better as bike gets hotter is a sign of lean condition, a sign of rich condition is when blipping the throttle gets worse when bike gets hotter. Also popping out the exhaust pipe at bike shut off and pipes are hot is a sign of too lean a condition, solution is to richen setting.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts