Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! Yesterday I brought home my new 900 Custom. I am quite excited about it! I got it from a lady who changed her mind about riding rather quickly – it is a 2007, she put 600 miles on it in the first season and it was sitting in her garage for 2 years. She lives about 100 miles away so the ride home was a good test how the bike really handles.

I must tell you that I am really impressed! I found the seat quite comfortable – I expected something much worse after reading the different posts on the forum. The bike has plenty of power – a real joy to ride. One of the few issues I was having on the way was to tell what gear I had it in – especially in a denser traffic when I was distracted.

The bike is 100% stock (at the moment…) :D Still, I will post some pics soon.

The only things that sucks is that it is supposed to get cold in a few days (I am in NY). But I plan on riding for a few more weeks no matter what. I can’t just put in the garage for 6 months a day after I bought it! :cool:

·
Registered
657 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the forum. I hope you find some good stuff here as I have.

Ride Long and Prosper!!!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Congratulations dude!!!
I have a 2007 Classic and love it. Of all the posts on the forum, one that is a must read is the one about the grease fittings on the rear shock rocker arm on the bottom of the bike. If the bike has 600+ miles on it there is still a decent posibility that at least one may be damaged or gone. Also, most folks seem to find that the factory and the dealership both forgot to grease these fittings properly. Hopefully yours are all good. Glad to have another fellow 900 rider out there. Keep the shiny side up!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Pirate, I just crawled back from underneath the bike and all three fittings are still there (I guess the lady I got the bike from really rode just mostly around the block :D ). So I guess on Saturday I will head out to Walmart for a grease gun and a tube of grease (does it matter what kind?) and I will also try to get the replacement screws too.

It is just mind boggling that such a reputable bike company can put out an idiotic design detail like this... Would it be that hard to hide each of these fittings in a nook of some kind or place them under an angle from the side, or something trivial like that....??? This looks more like a sabotage in the design lab to me... :D

·
Registered
108 Posts
Nothing beats Yamaha's Vstar where you have to remove the exhaust pipe to get to the oil filter each oil change, now how stupid is that! lol

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hi

Hello bass567, welcome to the forum and Congrats on the 900 Custom. Man is this going to be a L..O..N..G winter for you !!! :D It's bad enough just having one's bike just sitting all alone in the cold, cold garage.....Let alone having a BRAND NEW RIDE sitting there and not being able to ride. I guess you will probably have to sit up a lawn chair out in the garage so you can sit there and admire it. LOL ;) Surely you will get in a few rides before it's too cold and icy. Good Luck and again Welcome.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Hey Pirate, I just crawled back from underneath the bike and all three fittings are still there (I guess the lady I got the bike from really rode just mostly around the block :D ). So I guess on Saturday I will head out to Walmart for a grease gun and a tube of grease (does it matter what kind?) and I will also try to get the replacement screws too.

It is just mind boggling that such a reputable bike company can put out an idiotic design detail like this... Would it be that hard to hide each of these fittings in a nook of some kind or place them under an angle from the side, or something trivial like that....??? This looks more like a sabotage in the design lab to me... :D
When you go to Walmart: 1- Watch out for the speed bumps if you ride the bike. 2- Just get any type of bearing or axle grease. This pivot point has very little rotation and now real heat involved. So just as long as you have some grease in there, you are good. Actually, in your area I would be more worried about the low end temperature of the grease. Not that you will probably be riding in -20F weather. The general consensus is that you need M6-1.0 thread x 10mm long hex head bolts and a simple lock washer. Most folks are just replacing the rear two fittings. I do recommend stainless steel bolts. This was really the hardest thing to find. You may have to buy a 10 pack or something from McMaster Carr. Set screws would probably work too, but I worry about one vibrating all the way in and getting lost.

As for the design engineer who did this, I have a running joke on the forum that I am looking for him. He needs a good beating.

One last thing, if you are at or near 600 miles, do you know if the first oil change service has been done? It is really important to do this service. The main issue is the oil change because a new engine looses a lot of metal during the break-in period. You need to get that out by changing the oil and filter. The rest is just stuff that the service center checks to make sure nothing is loose or leaking on the bike. Just thought I would mention it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Pirate, I will do exactly what you are suggesting. Are such metric screws normally available in hardware stores or do they need to be mail-ordered from some internet specialty outlets?

Do you guys think that people at Kawasaki are aware of how many customers are mad because of this "detail"? Is anyone from the company active on this forum? Wouldn't it be nice to listen to the voice of people who pay for your living?? ;)

The original owner gave me a receipt from the 600-mile service. I was shocked by the rate (something like $110/hr.) that the dealer charged -- and it was like 2.5 hrs. I am not sure whether they ripped her off, or whether this is the normal going rate... :mad: The total was like $300+ or something like that... Awful. I am not sure (and neither is she) whether they did anything beyond the oil change.....

·
Registered
782 Posts
Thanks Pirate, I will do exactly what you are suggesting. Are such metric screws normally available in hardware stores or do they need to be mail-ordered from some internet specialty outlets?

Do you guys think that people at Kawasaki are aware of how many customers are mad because of this "detail"? Is anyone from the company active on this forum? Wouldn't it be nice to listen to the voice of people who pay for your living?? ;)

The original owner gave me a receipt from the 600-mile service. I was shocked by the rate (something like $110/hr.) that the dealer charged -- and it was like 2.5 hrs. I am not sure whether they ripped her off, or whether this is the normal going rate... :mad: The total was like $300+ or something like that... Awful. I am not sure (and neither is she) whether they did anything beyond the oil change.....
I found some SS hex heads at Lowes that were the right size but to long. I just cut them off and ran a dye over the threads to clean them up. If you don't have access to a tap & dye set, you can find the right ones on sites like McMaster Carr.

The 600 mile service is a thing of great debate on this forum. Some say it is a waste as long as you change the oil. Most say it is worth it to go to a Kawasaki repair shop just so there is no issue if you ever need to use your engine warranty. Everyone seems to agree the "stealerships" rip you a new one on the cost! $300 is really high even for what I have heard on the forum. Sounds like your lady rider friend was seen coming down the road. Most folks are paying any where from $70 - $150 or so. The main thing is that it was done. So you are good to go until the 7500 mile mark.

Of course, like with all bikes, check your tire air pressure regularly. Also, anytime you give your baby a bath is a good chance to check tightness of all bolts and just give her a good looking over. About 2 months into my bike honeymoon, I was riding to work when my left foot just sort of pivoted toward the ground. The rear bolt holding the left side floor board had vibrated out and the floorboard just pushed away. The bad part was that I could no longer shift since the shift lever is attached to the floorboard. I coasted to a stop in a nearby parking lot and had my wife come get me. I had to trailer the bike home and buy a new bolt. All in all, it was a good lesson about how much a bike engine vibrates.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts