Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

How strictly do you follow the time-based part replacement schedule set forth in the owner's manual?

• Very strictly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Somewhat strictly

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • I don't replace parts that aren't broken

Votes: 3 50.0%
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2015 Vulcan S ABS earlier this month with only 3500 miles in great shape. It's my first bike and I'm very pleased so far. After putting a few hundred miles of my own on it I want to do an oil change and chain lube just so I can have the peace of mind of knowing it's been done using high quality parts and lubes. I was looking at the owners and service manuals though and it calls for replacing not only the oil and filter, but numerous O-rings and hoses throughout the cooling, fuel, and brake systems based on the age of the bike. I get the value of preventative maintenance, but on the other hand it seems a bit excessive to replace all of these components on a bike with under 4000 miles. How strictly do y'all follow those time-based part replacements on your own bikes?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Inspect. If it looks fine, it's probably fine. I wouldn't just replace everything regardless of wear.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Inspect. If it looks fine, it's probably fine. I wouldn't just replace everything regardless of wear.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
That's pretty much what I was thinking. The owners manual basically calls for you to rebuild the brake calipers and master cylinders every 4 years which seems insane on a bike with 4000 miles. According to Kawasaki, they're a year overdue. I think Kawasaki wants to sell rubber components.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Brake lines I'd do. As a kid, I watched my uncle almost run his bike into his truck (old rubber brake hose split under pressure). Close call with no damage, but he had just come back from a trip riding at or above freeway speeds.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I too noticed that Kawi wants us to change a large amount of parts. I think it is excessive and they are just covering their butts.
Everyone I have ever talked to that rides does ZERO of these things, and neither did their parents that taught them to ride, etc... Not saying it is a waste, just saying that there are guys out there riding around on vintage 70's and 80's bikes with original brake lines and FLUID! I think that's insane, the fluid part, but if the lines look OK, ride on.
I too have a 2015 that I bought in 2016. It had 400 miles on it. Now has 11,000. I just changed the oil/filter, lubed the chain and set chain tension.
I bought some OEM brake fluid. I will swap that in this weekend.
EVERYTHING looks showroom new on this thing. I garage it year round so UV degradation (what rubber hates) is kept to a min.
I looked into swapping all the brake lines and fuel lines like the manual says to do, it was well over a grand and you would have to take apart a good chunk of the bike. No one is doing this, and they shouldn't be either. Something being a pain in the butt or being expensive is no reason not to do something, the fact is those rubber parts are 100% fine 5 years later. They will most likely be fine 5 more years later.
Every spring I go over the bike with a fine tooth comb inspecting all the seals for dry rot or anything like that. Haven't seen the first hint of it and I just apply a bit of silicone on things to keep the rubber happy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts