Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a V2K, 2004 and when I top up the oil level as per spec's while riding, oil starts squirting out of the breather (quite a bit). I'm not getting any smoke from the exhaust.

Any ideas on what is casuing this and the fix????

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yes, you have put too much oil in it. This subject has been bantered about quite a few times. Fact is DON'T TRUST THE DIPSTICK. When you change oil and filter, measure how much you get out and only put 5 1/2 quarts back in after installing a new filter. If you don't see any oil spots on your garage floor then you aren't leaking any. If you don't see any smoke, you arent burning any. Don't fret over that dipstick.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks CoolPig for the quick response... Too bad Kawi can't make a reliable way to check your oil level on the V2K

·
Registered
60 Posts
They claim that after sitting a while and holding the bike level, you should start the engine and let it run long enough to get the engine up to temp (Approximately 10 minutes) without ever touching the throttle, you should cut it off and let it cool a while. Then you can remove and clean the dipstick, reinstall it screwing it all the way in, remove it again and read the level.

I'm sorry, I gotta throw the BS penalty flag on that. I've tried it several times and I ALWAYS get an incorrect reading.

Drain your oil, measure how much you get out, install new filter, put in 5 1/2 quarts, install dipstick, ride bike.

If you're getting out what you put in you are golden. Don't sweat the small stuff.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I let my bike idle for a couple minutes at the end of the days ride. As long as I do that my dipstick hot or cold always reads half way between add and full and never get oil blowing out the breather. I put 5.7 quarts in.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I let my bike idle for a couple minutes at the end of the days ride. As long as I do that my dipstick hot or cold always reads half way between add and full and never get oil blowing out the breather. I put 5.7 quarts in.
That works for me too, only fill up to half between max. and min. A little less is better. Always works for my VN 2000.
There will always be a little oil in the filter house, coming from the crankcase breather.
I bought a K&N replacement filter for the original filter house. Works fine with my Vance and Hines Powershots without Power Commander, my bike has oxygen sensor and euro gear. (Living in Europe).

Here is the Kawasaki way for checking oil level:

Because the Vulcan 2000 has a unique semi-dry sump lubrication system with separate oil chambers in the crank room, clutch side cover and transmission room, the engine oil level indicated on the dipstick is very sensitive to oil temperature, the motorcycle's position and engine RPM at time of shut down.

Under certain conditions, oil can accumulate in the crank and clutch areas and give a false low reading on the dipstick in the transmission room. This can result in false low readings and oil overlilling, which often leads to oil being pushed out of the crankcase vent and into the airbox.

Use the following procedure, which is also outlined in the Owners's Manual, for checking oil level:

Verify Engine Oil Presence
Before starting the engine, verify that the engine contains oil by removing the oil filler cap/dispstick in the lower right side of the engine. If the dipstick is dry, tip the motorcycle slightly to the right and look thru the filler holde until oil appears. If no oil appears even when the machine is tipped at an extreme angle, remove the oil drain plugs to empty any oil that may be in the transmission, crankcase and clutch cover. Reinstall the drain plugs and refill with the specified amount of oil. Continue with Engine Oil Level Inspection.

CAUTION: If the engine is run without oil, it will be severely damaged.

Engine Oil Level Inspection
After you have verified that the engine contains oil, start the engine and allow it to idle for several minutes to thoroughtly warm the oil in the transmission room to 125 degrees Fahrenheit according to the following chart:

Air Temp Idle Time
40 degrees 15 minutes
65 degrees 10 minutes
100 degrees 5 minutes

*NOTE: During this time the auxilliary cooling fan may be activated several times.
After allowing the engine to idle for the specified time, shut it off. DO NOT REV THE ENGINE AND SHUT IF OFF AT HIGHER THAN IDLE RPM. Doing so can leave a significant amount of oil in the crank room and clutch area, leading to a false low oil level reading.

Allow the oil to settle for several minutes. With the motorcycle level from from to back and side to side, remove the oil filler cap/dipstick and wipe the dipstick clean. Continue holding the motorcycle supright and reinstall the dipstick, threading the cap completely in. Remove the dipstick and check the engine oil level. The engine iol level should be between the high and low level lines on the dipstick.

If the oil level is too high, remove the excess oil through the filler opening using a syringe or other suitable device. If the oil is too low, add oil to reach the correct level. Use the same type of oil that is already in the engine.

Replace the cap, making sure the O-ring is in place and tighten.

Following this procedure should provide an accurate oil level reading. If you feel your are not obtaining accurate readings using this method, please see your local Kawasaki dealer for further assistance.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The fix is to slow down. These bikes have a dry sump engine, meaning the oil isn't stored in the bottom of the crank case like most bikes. Because of this, the engine needs a scavenge pump to remove oil from the crank case. When you ride fast for an extended period of time (over 80mph on speedo) the scavenge pump cannot keep up to the amount of oil in the crank case, and it gets sucked through the breather tube, which runs into the air filter box.

The simplest, and pretty much only fix is to slow down. Ride under 80mph on the speedo, and you won't see any oil in the breather.

·
Registered
987 Posts
overfill

I've got a V2K, 2004 and when I top up the oil level as per spec's while riding, oil starts squirting out of the breather (quite a bit). I'm not getting any smoke from the exhaust.

Any ideas on what is casuing this and the fix????
Don't feel bad about overfilling, it has probably happened to each one of us at least once. I had a dealership overfill mine on the first oil change. They put so much oil into it that the engine vibrated due to pistons slapping in the oil.

Best way to do it is to completely drain the motor, clutch and all (be careful not to overtorque the plug going back in), and then put in 5.5 qts, or 5 liters, depending on geography. Oil level will be on the low mark cold and in the middle hot. Don't fuss about being EXACT. We used to only put 5 qts into 440 Chrysler engines.....:cool:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Engine Lubrication System:
Engine oil:
Type API SE, SF or SG – – –
API SH or SJ with JASO MA
Viscosity SAE 10W-40 – – –
Capacity 4.4 L (4.7 US qt, when filter – – –
is not removed)
4.6 L (4.9 US qt, when filter – – –
is removed)
5.5 L (5.8 US qt, when engine – – –
is completely disassembled and dry)
Level Between upper and lower level lines – – –
(Wait 2 ~ 3 minutes after idling
or running)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've confirmed that the oil level is NOT hogh, in fact it is low and I'm still getting oil spurting out of the breather. Could this be caused by the compression rings leaking gases into the crankcase or could it be due to the oil screens being plugged?????

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've confirmed that the oil level is NOT hogh, in fact it is low and I'm still getting oil spurting out of the breather. Could this be caused by the compression rings leaking gases into the crankcase or could it be due to the oil screens being plugged?????
Just ride your bike, and see if it stops. There may be some oil in the vent hose.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just ride your bike, and see if it stops. There may be some oil in the vent hose.
I been riding the bike for a couple of days and there is still oil coming out of the breather. Oil in the vent hose was checked and is not the issue. I drained the oil from the engine (all 3 drain plugs) and got a little over 3.5 quarts of oil, so over filling is not the root cause. Could this be due to oil / compression rings, valve seals or oil screen problems???

Very WORRIED it's a bigger issue!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had this issue after changing the oil. Shortly after adding 5 qts I took off the air box and found a little oil in the bottom. I cleaned it out and checked again after several miles. There wasn't any. I went on a long ride, various speeds (30mph - 80mph) and when I got home there was oil all over my pipes and the side of my engine.

My dealer said the seal from my airfilter was bad. He said it was normal for it to blow a little oil into the box, but if it's leaking than the seal is bad. He said it takes very little oil dripping out on hot pipes to look like a lot. I put a new filter in and have ridden over 1000 miles and haven't seen a drop of oil outside the airbox.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Apprecicate the reply, but I'm getting a substantial amount of oil coming from the breather (it's constant, estimated over 1/2 quart during a 1 hour ride at 60mph). As I mentioned earlier, my oil level is not high, it's low and still blowing out of the breather. So, I've stopped riding until I can figure this out. I've checked the engine compression, both cylinders are at 55psi, plugs are dry with a bit of carbon buildup.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Apprecicate the reply, but I'm getting a substantial amount of oil coming from the breather (it's constant, estimated over 1/2 quart during a 1 hour ride at 60mph). As I mentioned earlier, my oil level is not high, it's low and still blowing out of the breather. So, I've stopped riding until I can figure this out. I've checked the engine compression, both cylinders are at 55psi, plugs are dry with a bit of carbon buildup.
Did you figure this out? My body took his vn1500e on vacation with us to Tennessee and on the highway he started having the same issue. We ended up having to get the bike towed back home. At idle it doesn't do anything but once you get the rpms up it starts blowing oil out of that tube.

·
Premium Member
1,193 Posts
Did you figure this out? My body took his vn1500e on vacation with us to Tennessee and on the highway he started having the same issue. We ended up having to get the bike towed back home. At idle it doesn't do anything but once you get the rpms up it starts blowing oil out of that tube.
I'm betting after 9 years he has gotten rid of that bike!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey, you never know. If even he did get rid of it he might have figured out the issue and that might help figure out what we need to do on my buddies bike

1 - 19 of 19 Posts