Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day all:

I have a 2010 Classic LT 900. New rider and new bike. I was thinking about doing the stage 2 exaust mod, but am a little concerned. As far as aftermarket exaust goes, I want more sound but not real loud. Sound bytes on internet dosent seem to help me decide. I know its all opionon, but I need some help deciding....

Thanks

Joe

·
Registered
75 Posts
Exhaust Mod

Congrats on owning a Kaw 900! I have a 900 Custom and have done the First stage mod of drilling out the baffles at the back end of the mufflers with a 5/8 hole saw. Quiet at speed (maybe a very slight tone) but a nice purr when accelerating through the gears or passing other vehicles. My neighbors are pretty happy too. (AG2P) RIDE SAFE

·
Registered
782 Posts
I have done stage 1 & now stage 2 with 4-holes so far. The way I see it is this:

Stock exhaust - sounds like a sewing machine all the time.

Stage 1 - (drill/knock out center screen)
At idle it is still like a sewing machine. But you can hear a bit of the rumble when you get on the throttle. Still pretty quiet at cruising speed.

Stage 2 - (take off black end cap, cut off center pipe, drill 4-holes in baffle plate around center pipe)
It is louder than before but still pretty quiet at idle. For example, you can still talk to the biker next to you at a stop light. However, when you get on the throttle to accelerate hard, you are really starting to hear the rumble. The nice thing is that when you are not accelerating hard, it is not all that loud. Yes, louder at cruising speed than before, but not that loud WAAAAHHHHH that tends to give me headaches after 30 minutes.

As I said, this is as far as I have gone. I am thinking of adding 2-4 more holes per pipe, but I doubt that I will do stage 3. This is just my opinion, but if you want a bike to sound like a bike, but not be obnoxious, then stage 2 is the way to go. At worst, do stage 2 but only drill 2 holes in the baffle plate first. Then you can add more if you want to. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have done stage 1 & now stage 2 with 4-holes so far. The way I see it is this:

Stock exhaust - sounds like a sewing machine all the time.

Stage 1 - (drill/knock out center screen)
At idle it is still like a sewing machine. But you can hear a bit of the rumble when you get on the throttle. Still pretty quiet at cruising speed.

Stage 2 - (take off black end cap, cut off center pipe, drill 4-holes in baffle plate around center pipe)
It is louder than before but still pretty quiet at idle. For example, you can still talk to the biker next to you at a stop light. However, when you get on the throttle to accelerate hard, you are really starting to hear the rumble. The nice thing is that when you are not accelerating hard, it is not all that loud. Yes, louder at cruising speed than before, but not that loud WAAAAHHHHH that tends to give me headaches after 30 minutes.

As I said, this is as far as I have gone. I am thinking of adding 2-4 more holes per pipe, but I doubt that I will do stage 3. This is just my opinion, but if you want a bike to sound like a bike, but not be obnoxious, then stage 2 is the way to go. At worst, do stage 2 but only drill 2 holes in the baffle plate first. Then you can add more if you want to. Hope this helps.
That explains the sound pretty well. I went all the way to stage 3 and it really wasn't much (if any) of a change from stage 2 with six holes in each. You can still easily talk to the person next to you at a red light.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stage 1 completed this am

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like stage 2 this weekend.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Just my HOP, but I would do this over a few days, weeks depending on how much you ride. I was all set to go straight to Stage 2, but my 19yoa son said dad you know you can't put them back without spending a ton. So I did Stage 1: not much change at all, but I took it in stride and put about two hundred miles on the bike and all of a sudden it came to life... nice rumble at idle and with a half helmet I can hear them when running at speed, but no headaches. I can get your attention when I want with just a twist of the throttle. Used a 7/8in hole saw.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just my 2 pennies, but I had alittle over 300 miles on my 09 custom when I came upon a deal I couldnt pass up. Cobra dragsters, I installed them at first without the baffels, then realized that was a crazy thought. I put the baffels in and the wife and I can talk just fine at idle or running down the road at a moderate speed. I personally didnt want to mess up the stock pipes in the event of a later upgrade.

·
Registered
451 Posts
A buddy has cobra slashdowns on his 900LT. He thought they were too loud at highway speed, so he removed and wrapped the baffles in some kind of matting he bought at the auto parts store, sold for the purpose.

IMHO it's still too loud. Last weekend we went for a ride with a guy on a HD Softail springer. When my buddy's 900 was 50 yards in front, and the Softail was 25 yards in front, between the 900LTs, I couldn't hear the HD, and I couldn't hear mine, over the sound of the dampened Cobra slashdowns on the front 900LT.

If I ride up just off my buddy's right rear corner a few yards, he can't hear the Stebel air horn.

·
Registered
953 Posts
A buddy has cobra slashdowns on his 900LT. He thought they were too loud at highway speed, so he removed and wrapped the baffles in some kind of matting he bought at the auto parts store, sold for the purpose.

IMHO it's still too loud. Last weekend we went for a ride with a guy on a HD Softail springer. When my buddy's 900 was 50 yards in front, and the Softail was 25 yards in front, between the 900LTs, I couldn't hear the HD, and I couldn't hear mine, over the sound of the dampened Cobra slashdowns on the front 900LT.

If I ride up just off my buddy's right rear corner a few yards, he can't hear the Stebel air horn.
WHAT?? mine are no where near that loud, i can talk to my girl cruising at 40-50 MPH. I actually put slashdowns her honda 600 and they are louder than the vulcan. I have the stock baffles they came with in?? Maybe its just me being in my twenties and full of piss and vinegar .. lol

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would reccommend installing aftermarket pipes as opposed to drilling the stock ones, especially if your bike is still covered under factory warrantee. I got V&H Slash Cut Staggareds for under $400, and I love the sound, its plenty loud with the baffles, and if I want it louder, 1 screw and the baffles slide out. Just my opinion

·
Registered
441 Posts
Good day all:

I have a 2010 Classic LT 900. New rider and new bike. I was thinking about doing the stage 2 exhaust mod, but am a little concerned. As far as aftermarket exhaust goes, I want more sound but not real loud. Sound bytes on internet doesn't seem to help me decide. I know its all opinion, but I need some help deciding....

Thanks

Joe
Joe for what it is worth maybe you should get some miles on the bike. I noticed somewhere around 3-4000 miles my exhaust note changed and then again around 5000. I have 9500 on T'Pol now and it has not changed since 5k. You can do this mod anytime but once you do that it is tough to undo.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Audio clips arent real accurate. Nothing like in person. I wanted the V&H pipes for a long time but ordered the cobra power pro cause I REALLY like the 2-1 look. (EZier access to rear wheel also). BUT, too damn loud so I ALWAYS wear earplugs under my full face helmet. Worse part though and the reason I WOULDNT do it again? Vibration! At 65-70 its okay but 75-80 I can really start to feel in the floorboards, handlebars and seat. In fact if not for the Mustang seat (the MOST comfortable seat Ive EVER had) Id take them back off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts