Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I have a oil leak on the gear shaft. When I try to remove the plate I can't not get it off the shaft without removing the engine again. Can the oil seal be found on eBay and what's the best way to get the entire cover off without removing the engine.
Yes the cover can be removed without pulling or moving the engine. If you keep the bike upright you don’t have to drain the oil.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks. Did some Research and Youtube. People are claiming the oil seal can be removed while still installed on the motor without removing the housing.

The more I work on the bike, The more i see why I got it for 200$ lol. I did manage toget her to idle for a few minutes today and it was a breathe of fresh air and a spark of hope. I dod notice when in neutral and no chain on the front sproket , that the front sprocket would turn CCW. I am not sure if that is normal. With the engine off the front sproket is free moving with no resistance.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
With no load on the output shaft I think that the shaft will turn due to slight friction inside the transmission. If there's a way to hold the shaft/nut/sprocket see if it can be stopped. Maybe a piece of wood jammed into the sprocket? ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I was thinking about that same solution just now on the way to work after I dropped the boys off to school. I am going to test that this weekend after the new parts arrive from partzilla.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Ok, so I have several miles on the bike now and noticed a small oil leak between the 2 red circles , The oil pipe. I've gently tighten the bolt but to no avail it still does about 5 small drips an hour. Good news , I am doing a oil change soon. Before I remove this part, is there a crush washer that should be behind that bolt? I seem to can not find it on the service manual.

I am assuming it is this bolt because I can see a actual oil drop on the bottom of the bolt and where it lands on the ground.

The shift shaft gasket is new and replaced along with the entire gasket for the shift shaft housing.

If that bolt is not the oil leak problem, where else would the leak be coming from?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Is the pipe itself dry? You'll want to make sure it's not leaking from the top bolt and running down.

Yes, there are gaskets on this piece. One on each side of the pipe for both top and bottom.

Part numbers are as follows:
Top: 92065-096
Bottom: 11009-1344

Remember, you'll need 2 of each (one between the pipe and engine, and another between the pipe and bolt).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Is the pipe itself dry? You'll want to make sure it's not leaking from the top bolt and running down.

Yes, there are gaskets on this piece. One on each side of the pipe for both top and bottom.

Part numbers are as follows:
Top: 92065-096
Bottom: 11009-1344

Remember, you'll need 2 of each (one between the pipe and engine, and another between the pipe and bolt).
Yes the pipe is free and dry of oil. It's just that bottom bolt that has oil drops.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts