Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to replace my battery on my vn900. I have trickle charged mine since i bought the bike, but its just dead. Has anyone put in the ES12-BS battery from EVERSTART? They sell them at walmart for like 50 bucks. Its only listed for the vn900 Classic, but id have to think they have the same battery size as the custom.

Thanks for any input

·
Registered
782 Posts
I have not used the Everstart in my bike, but I have used them in lawn mowers. I actually got two from Sam's last year (2 mowers). I also have used that brand in my wife's car. Honestly, I have been more impressed with these batteries than the one I bought from Sears a few years back. And to top it off, the Sam's price is less, and the warranty is better.

As for physical size, I can't comment since I haven't put one in our bike. But I would think it has to be a direct drop in and the Custom should have the same size battery box as the Classic. I mean, the bikes are actually identical in the mid-section. It is just the rear fender, the front end and the pegs that are changed to give the Custom that drag bike style.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Without seeing them, i'd guess that it would be a drop-in replacement too.

A word of caution? A trickle charger is not the same as a battery maintainer. Trickle chargers will cook your battery when left on for extended periods of time. I know, i've ruined a couple of batteries with them. If you're going to store a battery for an extended period of time, you're better off getting a maintainer for it.

I have a charger that i use for actually recharging batteries that have run down, but rotate my maintainer around to my stored batteries every couple of days or so.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I put my trickle charger on a cheap timer($4 at Walmart). I set it to charge about one hour per day. Seems to work good.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Check the part number on your factory battery...I think they're Yuasas, so it should be YA12BS. The first couple letters in a motorcycle/ATV/powersport battery actually indicate brand (the "ES" in the ES12BS actually means EverStart). The first two numbers, and the following letters are your BCI group number. I'm pretty sure the custom uses the same battery, but double check, and as long as it's xx12BS you'll be good to go with the Walmart battery.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
The Walmart Everstart in our Sears Craftsman lawn tractor is still going strong after seven years and cost something like $25!! The OEM Sears so-called DieHard in fact died after about two years.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Ironically, there are only like 3 battery manufacturers in the United States, two of which have delivered for Walmart in the past few years. They sell Johnson Controls batteries now, but up until last fall, they were brough by Exide. Very likely that Diehard was made in the same building, lol

And not to be the bearer of bad news, but Walmart's motorcycle and powersport batteries don't have a warranty as of last spring. You bought it, you own it, at least once you've poured the electrolyte in. And before that it was only a 30-day return WITH original receipt. I know the sign on the battery flow-through above the motorcycle battery says "3 Year Free Replacement!" but right under that, in much, much smaller letters, it says "On Automotive batteries."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts