Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 V2K I would like to know if it has the euro upgrade. I have intake, exaust and chip. First gear hits the limiter at 35mph and I average about 32 mpg. Not sure if this is enough info. I read on 1 post if not euro you rev limit at 18 mph in 1st gear. Any input would be great.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
BOTM Winner, October 2016
537 Posts
If you can make it across a traffic light, from a stop, without switching into 2nd gear, Euro gears have been done.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,162 Posts
Thanks for that bit of info, V2K_Rod! I can slap make it across a traffic light w/o hitting 2nd. Having bought my bike from an estate, there's no one to ask these kinds of questions...and others. That's why I'm here!

Victor :nerd:

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,910 Posts
Thanks for that bit of info, V2K_Rod! I can slap make it across a traffic light w/o hitting 2nd. Having bought my bike from an estate, there's no one to ask these kinds of questions...and others. That's why I'm here!

Might have an aftermarket pulley, either front or back

·
Premium Member
1,162 Posts
Thanks for that tip, smedlin...we'll find out shortly...she's going to a trusted mechanic for a nose-to-tail service on 9/5...I really do trust him to tell me what's what...fortunate, and a great relief/feeling for a VERY limited-skills wrencher like me!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't know for sure but I think my pulleys are stock. I'm at the 4 for belt tension I would think it would be diferent if you change pulleys. Mine hits the limiter at 35 almost exactly. I read on fb it hits at 18 without the mod. Either way I love this bike and the power it has. I just can't get over how fast it goes from 60 to 90.

·
Registered
857 Posts
What is this about hitting the rev limiter?
I have never hit it in my beast.... or have I?
What the hell does it feel like?

I thought the limiter was at about 5K rpm's, and I always feel the bike ready for a gear change well before 4000 rpm (unless I'm pushing it to pass a car or get her up to speed in a hurry). Never close to 5k.

Am I just 2 easy going in my cruising way of ridding?

Any way, without the euro gears, 1st gear felt like it was meant for truck pull competition, as soon as the bike started rolling I needed to switch to 2nd, of course I am not trying to hit the limiter.

I did ride my bike for almost a year b4 installing the euro gears and now I have to get to a highway every so often just to ride in 5th for a while at about 75- 80 mph or higher ( only a little higher cus I ain't no stunt guy and prefer to put my money in gas than paying tickets).

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think the rev limiter is set at about 5000 rpm. This is the first bike I have owned that I have hit it. Mostly when I really hit it hard from a stop. This thing just gets there so much faster than any other bike I have owned that I hit it a few times. I have goten much better and shift sooner now. I definatly can ride just fine in 4th at 55 and really only shift to 5th at 60

·
Registered
857 Posts
I think the rev limiter is set at about 5000 rpm. This is the first bike I have owned that I have hit it. Mostly when I really hit it hard from a stop. This thing just gets there so much faster than any other bike I have owned that I hit it a few times. I have goten much better and shift sooner now. I definatly can ride just fine in 4th at 55 and really only shift to 5th at 60

@Steveb2: It sounds like you came from a sport bike background, if yur' hitting 5th at 60 mph you definitely do not have euro gears on there. With EGears, at 4th, 2800-3000 hitting 70 mph. 5th gears becomes an overdrive purrring at 2700-2800 at 80 mph ideal for these highways in SoCal.
:smile2::smile2::smile2:
The one thing I love about the eurogears is how it stretched each gear so I do not have to keep changing gears all the time when in twisty roads or at a hill, b'tween that and the torque the beast has in the low end, hearing my buddies shifting gears allover the place, it feels I am ridding a semi-automatic transmission, makes for very enjoyable day rides.
:grin2::grin2::grin2:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I shift to 5th at 60 because it is there alot of time I'm riding in 4th and don't notice it. Mot habit from my Suzuki 1500. Not sure if I have Euro or not. When I am going 60 and really want to pass I alway drop a gear and fly by fast. The reason I asked the question is I don't feel the need to shift all The time so I'm wondering if I do have them. I don't have any record of them beeing installed. 1st gear is the only gear I have hit the rev limiter in and they was at 35mph. No question this is the most fun I have had riding. I just can't get over the power of the twist.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Just cus it was a great day for a ride, just had to get the beast out to try to get you some numbers:

The most comfortable RPM range for me in this engine is from 2600 to 3200, usually ride within that range unless I want to get up to speed in a hurry, pass someone or catch up with someone. Right in the middle of that range, about 2800-2900 is the most comfortable cruising, puurrring, easy RPM spot for me and my beast (with my weight and lack of ridding style).

So, in my 100 mile ride today, I took notice up to what speed I was hitting on each gear at 3000 RPM, to give an idea of what happens with the euro-gears and you can draw yur own conclusions.
1st gear - 28 mph
2nd gear - 42 mph
3rd gear - 60 mph
4th gear - 75 mph
5th gear - 88 mph

This will open again the discussion on the accuracy of each one's speedometer, I believe that b'tween the euro gears and the little oversize tire I am running the original 10% off the stock speedo was giving me has been compensated, if it has not I do NOT really care, I know I am pretty close to actual speed and it is good enough 4 me.
:grin2::grin2::grin2:
Also, there is the speedo sensor. When I did my euro gears, witch are the actual gears this beautiful machine was designed with, I had to take out a washer-spacer from the sensor/teeth counter thingy, so, if it still has the washer is has the stock US gears, if it is not there it most probably means you are running euro gears (unless yur reverse gears or reverse euro gears that are kinda crazy options if you ask me).

I'll try to snap a pic of the spot for that washer 4 you tomorrow and add it here.
:nerd::nerd::nerd:
Now, if this info is of no use to you..... well crap, I just took an afternoon off from work, took a 100 mile ride along the coast on a great road, on a beautiful day for nothing!!!!
:glasses-cool::glasses-cool::glasses-cool:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That would be great. I am guessing I don't have the euro gears. And I feel bad for you that you had to take a day of to ride. Lol. Every morning I have a very hard time turning in to the work parking lot.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Ok, here are the picx, on the first one, from the right side, you will see the pipes going across the middle of the frame, just above there is the oil stick and to the left of it and further toward the middle of the bike (cus it has to align with the gears) is the sensor screw.
On the second pic you can actually see the sensor screw from the side, you can see the screw seats directly to the black plastic of the sensor and it seats on the body of the transmission, if you have the stock US gears (remember these were changed for the US models so a washer was also added to put the sensor at the correct distance to the teeth of the now bigger gear). AS you change to the Euro Gears you have to remove the washer as part of the process so:
Washer there = US Gears
No Washer = Euro Gears.

Edit: found some pix from my gear change:

Third pic is the bike with the pipes removed as I was starting the process, on the upper left you can see (a little smudgy) the head of the screw and the washer still on separated by the sensor it is holding.
4th pic are the gears already exposed as I was slowly working the screw loose to get the washer out with special tool courtesy of Cooter.
Last pic is the washer already out with the 2 pennies used to get the gears loose.

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
Check the speed sensor located on the right side top rear of the transmission. If there is a spacer under the sensor that looks like a washer, the stock gears are installed. Euro gears require this spacer to be removed for speed sensor to operate.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I've owned my '05 from the showroom floor, and never touched the gears...and 1st reaches the limiter between 35-38 mph...
After riding the beast for around 2,000 miles the use of the 1st gear got just plain annoying. for my taste euro gears is a must mod. The feel of power suffers just a bit but the beast has plenty in that department. I have never seen anyone with euro-gears complain about needing a 6th gear, 5th turns into an overdrive basically and 1st is now usable (for those bumper to bumper California traffic jams).
I never, never even gotten close to the limiter, with the power this thing has on the low end, why would you need to?.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Well, I'm one of them... I reversed the euro-gears... phantastic ride now
HEY K-Frank, hello from the new world.

Can you give an idea what the reverse euro gears do to the beast? I know it changes the gear ratio, what I mean to ask is in some data like I gave b4, aprox speed at a given RPM (I used 3000 rpm for reference).

It is a complicated enough mod to just do to see how it feels. I realize that in Germany the speed limits are different and this whole issue has to do with ridding style and personal preferences. I really do not need nor want to cruise any faster than I do, I'm definitely NOT an adrenaline junkie, but just to have any idea how it compares to the way my bike does with the euro gears straight up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just bought a 2004 V2000. I will be replacing the gear sensor soon and I keep reading about Euro gears. Does it improve the bike performance that much more?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts