Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning i won an auction on a new pciii for my 04 vn2k.
Dirt cheap at $100. Shipping included.
I really want to start messing with my bike's performance...after 29,000 miles i figured it's time to shake things up a bit.
My question for you guys who have done euro gears is, did you lose any of that "umph" at take-off? I fell in love with the torque in the first place, but sometimes i do wonder what it feels like to have adequate cruising speed. So, do you really sacrifice any noticeable power across the gears? Or is it a no-brainer to switch over?
Also, i have a thunder mfg odyssey air kit with hard krome 3 " straights. Other than look and sound, ive not heard any good things about these pipes.
What pipes do you guys have and do you notice any performance changes over stock?
I figured i'd ponder about all this while i wait for the pc to ship.

Thanks fellas.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,905 Posts
Wow really? Man that sounds like it'd just purr.

i did the front pulley change, which is close to the same result as the eruo-mod (cost more, but much less work).

An actual dyno would notice the difference in torque... but the "butt-dyno" will not notice anything less. It will seem more actually, cause it will spread the gears out more..letting you stay in each gear longer before you have to switch.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,905 Posts
Hey Smedlin, What does that involve and exactly how hard to do?
You mean the front pulley thing that i did?

I don't even know if they are still being made. But it's a front pulley that is 1 tooth larger. The result is it spreads the gears out.

Not difficult at all. Gotta have the correct size (funky size) wrench head to remove bolt on front pulley (and probably an air hammer. I got an electric one from harbor freight, not very expensive).

I actually had the front pulley off about 2 weeks ago (wanted to put new lube on the spline).

Having removed it 3 or 4 times now, I could probably do the job in 45 minutes, from sitting down with the tools to washing my hands after.

Compared to euro-gears where ya gotta break the trans open.... much easier.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hey TJ, its only you merrycans that didn't get the euro gears.
Kawasaki knows that merrycans get frightened if a bike goes to fast so they geared it down for your safety. There is a few brave merrycans that put the euros on and live on danger side of life.
We get em stock here in down under land, the taller gearing of the euro gears is perfect for this bike, and what it is supposed to have. you will not notice any loss of power or torque at all. First gear and all gears are taller, fifth gear is genuine overdrive with euros, This motor could take even higher gearing with no issues at all. Its a torque monster, a couple of taller gears isn't gunna stop that power.
I have V&H Power Shots for an exhaust TJ and I am happy with it, you don't really need to add extra fuel management on the 2000s but hey, if you have it why not.
I modded stock air box, did gear resister mod, pulled baffles out of pipes etc, and the bike goes like a scun cat. it just doesn't need any more doing to it.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Hey TJ, its only you merrycans that didn't get the euro gears.
Kawasaki knows that merrycans get frightened if a bike goes to fast so they geared it down for your safety. There is a few brave merrycans that put the euros on and live on danger side of life.
We get em stock here in down under land, the taller gearing of the euro gears is perfect for this bike, and what it is supposed to have. you will not notice any loss of power or torque at all. First gear and all gears are taller, fifth gear is genuine overdrive with euros, This motor could take even higher gearing with no issues at all. Its a torque monster, a couple of taller gears isn't gunna stop that power.
I have V&H Power Shots for an exhaust TJ and I am happy with it, you don't really need to add extra fuel management on the 2000s but hey, if you have it why not.
I modded stock air box, did gear resister mod, pulled baffles out of pipes etc, and the bike goes like a scun cat. it just doesn't need any more doing to it.
It's quite the opposite, actually.

Only us 'Mericans can handle the all out assault of that super grunt torque. For everyone else they have to cut back the brutal torque, lest you can't tame the beast.

As far as speed, no, my 1996 900cc bike attains speeds in 4th gear the VN2000 can only dream of even in 5th with Euro gears.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Back to the original topic. I put Euro gears in. If you do a bunch of highway/superslab driving I think it's definitely a consideration to make. If, like me, you do mostly short run back road stuff, meh....I'd think twice.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Back to the original topic. I put Euro gears in. If you do a bunch of highway/superslab driving I think it's definitely a consideration to make. If, like me, you do mostly short run back road stuff, meh....I'd think twice.
Hey W99, I like you do nearly all my riding back roads, uphill down dale and all corners and bike is perfect, with Euros, it just has so much torque, its not a problem, and it keeps the revs down as well, you don't feel like you are ringing the neck out of it. This bike has so much grunt I don't know why they even had lower gearing in some countries, it just doesn't need to be geared lower. IMO.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do a little bit of both. Some long trips here and there, mostly splitting my work commute between the beast and my z1000 so they won't get jealous of each other.
I think i'll do the resistor mod first, pull the flies, install the commander, and then see if i wanna do the gears at the end

·
Registered
63 Posts
I haven't done the gears but, done the rest. PC III, Thunder BAK, Colbra shorts
Resister mod. Hold on tight and don't look back. Every bit of it was worth it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
There's a little oomph lost when combining the Euro gears and aftermarket pipes. The stock pipes are hard to beat for low end torque. Aftermarket pipes tend to generate some standing waves at lower rpms, usually in the 1500-2000 rpm range depending on design. But that's just the nature of it when you go to a larger diameter pipe. The larger diameter is not as efficient for flowing lower rpm exhaust. But the larger diameter pipe is also what gives you that awesome exhaust note. Above 2000rpm is when aftermarket pipes really begin to shine.

Anyhow, less exhaust flow efficiency at lower rpm combined with the Euro gears does effect take off torque and low end power some. As the others have said, the bike has so much power that it's no biggie. Doing a steady 85mph on the way to and from this weekend's Thunder Beach rally, I'm certain my bike was thanking me for the Roadhouse pipes and Euro gears.

Also, on Saturday when the roads got really packed to where I was often creeping along in first gear, it was a much nicer experience vs stock gears. It was while putting along in that traffic that I was also glad I put my secondary butterflies back in.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why do you mean? Putting the flies back in? Was it too snappy on the throttle? I know they act as a choke of sorts...

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Doing a steady 85mph on the way to and from this weekend's Thunder Beach rally, I'm certain my bike was thanking me for the Roadhouse pipes and Euro gears..
dj, got any - post pix of yor sled w/RoadHouse pipes? slip ons or 2in1? where dya get em? how much? RH went titts up sometime back. best dam pipe sys for Vtwin. had em on my 05 RoadStar an thought they were the catzazz.. poncho

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
You mean the front pulley thing that i did?

I don't even know if they are still being made. But it's a front pulley that is 1 tooth larger. The result is it spreads the gears out.
Might I ask, where did you get that pulley? If they are still around I'd be interested in changing mine up. Did you also have to change the belt and/or rear pulley?

·
Premium Member
1,193 Posts
dj, got any - post pix of yor sled w/RoadHouse pipes? slip ons or 2in1? where dya get em? how much? RH went titts up sometime back. best dam pipe sys for Vtwin. had em on my 05 RoadStar an thought they were the catzazz.. poncho
I agree that the Road House pipes were probably the best for the V2K. Although it has been a few years (my bike was an '08), I found a dealer that had this set of slip ons sitting on his shelf and snatched them up. Unfortunately the bike turned out to be a POS and I stripped all the add ons before unloading it and sold them right here on the forums.

·
Registered
361 Posts
We get em stock here in down under land, the taller gearing of the euro gears is perfect for this bike, and what it is supposed to have. .
Do we????? How the far out can I tell? do I read serial no's or somit? keen to clarify this aspect.

I still fell like the beast could be higher geared.

Why the heck would Kawa give the USA lower geared bikes? That doesn't make any sense to me considering the wide open spaces over there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts