Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my bike after having $4231.xx dollars in repairs done today. It took a total of 5 weeks to get the bike back. Part of that was a delay on the output shaft bushing. Apparently, it needed to be made and shipped from Japan. That's a story for another day...

The engine and trans were rebuilt. It got new piston rings down, basically. There are a million seals and gaskets, adding huge cost.

The good news is this: the bike is amazing. It's a power house, and it is smoother than ever. I've fallen in love with it all over again.

For anyone considering the Euro Gears. Stop. Just stop. DO IT. There is no reason to deliberate on them any more. Just install them. There is *literally* no downside.

Pro: 1st gear can be used for more than 3 seconds on acceleration. It's a good gear and can be used to accelerate to a reasonable 25 mph now, comfortably.

Pro: I was doing 75 on the highway today, comfortably, and realized that I still had 5th gear to use. Our toll road has a 75 mph speed limit and I was able to cruise at 85 easily. At 85 in 5th, it's like the engine is off. Incredibly smooth. And the torque is still there.

Pro: My speedometer is closer to accurate. I have a GPS mounted on the bike, which I use as a speedometer, so this isn't a huge factor for me, but the speedo is closer to accurate. I am only 5 mph off at 60, when I was 10 mph off before the gear swap.

Con: I honestly haven't found one yet. I've got about 250 miles on it since the gears were installed and I can't find anything bad about them.

Neutral: I lost a little torque. I can't say that it wasn't worth the trade off. The bike has plenty of go. Never have I though "I wish there was more". That being said, I can still accelerate in 5th gear easily. Sometimes I have to shift into 4th to get good acceleration. Completely acceptable, in my eyes.

Neutral: I have to relearn the shift points in the bike. I lugged it a couple times because I shifted like I used to. Again, there isn't anything wrong with the new shift points, I just have to retrain my brain.

These are all random thoughts and points made by a guy who loves to ride, but that's about it. Take my thoughts with a grain of salt. I **HIGHLY** recommend the Euro Gears though. Well worth the cash.

I have the parts that caused me all this heartache, so I will take pictures of them when I get a chance. You can barely tell on the shift fork and the drum looks normal without really close inspection. Being an untrained guy, I couldn't point out the point of failure on the drum.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,906 Posts
Is it (somewhat) common for shift forks to bend? Regardless of the bike/brand/model?

I hadn't heard of that before (shoot, I'm not sure what the shift fork actually does...)

4K though is a crap load.. specially when people are (still) buying "out of the crate" V2K's for 9K, and VERY gently used ones for 4K.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
and VERY gently used ones for 4K.
you mean parked and not ridden.. sometimes, often, always a bike thats been parked, put up WET and not ridden can have SITTING issues that outweigh a bike that has been USED properly and thoroughly.
old classic cars are like this. a daily or weekend rider is far better than one that has sat for decades or two.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I debated for a long time, whether or not I should repair or replace. 4G and the bike is basically brand new. I just bought the bike in June, so I didn't want to dump it yet. Financially, it still made sense to fix over replace. A used nomad was 15k. And could still have an unknown problem like the vn2k. Now I know the engine and Trans are in great shape.

I know it was a lot of money to blow, but it was the better choice, for me.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I know it was a lot of money to blow, but it was the better choice, for me.

And ya know exactly what you've got too, unknowns are basically minimised. Money well spent in my view.

That 'unknown' quantity always bothers me when buying another (used) bike, car, motorized thingamajig

Sent from the bottom of the Earth via a Tapatalk clone........……Motorcycle.com.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts