Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I washed my 2018 Voyager yesterday and now when I start it she runs for less than a sec and shuts down. Error codes 51 and 52 are displayed. I washed it at home using very low water pressure.
Interestingly enough she started up just fine after I dried her last night and rode her into my garage.
This is a very new bike with only 800 miles. Three weeks ago the bike had a PCV installed along with new air intake and cobra slip on pipes.
No issues at all with the bike after the upgrades.

I looked up the codes and they have to do with the "ignition coils #1 and #2 malfunctioning or having a short" if what i found is correct.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Something I can address myself or contact my mechanic?

Thanks !!

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
It may have changed since 2010, but my Voyager manual shows code 51 is a front cylinder ignition coil failure, and code 52 is the rear ignition coil. It says for each code that if that code is triggered, the injector for that cylinder is shut down. That allows the bike to limp along on one cylinder. Since you got both codes, both injectors must have shut down.

You probably got some water somewhere that took a little while to run down and cause a short. Since both coils are affected, you may have some water in a common connector or some point upstream electrically of the coils.

I would get a fan blowing on it overnight or longer to see if you can dry things out, then see if it runs OK. If it does, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If the problem continues, you may have created a short that damaged something and that will need to be addressed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion. I put a big fan on each side of the bike and will run them on high until the morning. Stay tuned...

·
Registered
154 Posts
This happened to me early on in ownership of my then new 2016 after I washed it. I let it sit while and then it started up and no more codes. That was 2 years ago. I figured I got water somewhere where it was not supposed to be...so I am just more careful now when washing. No issues since

1 - 4 of 4 Posts