Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have gotten the Error 18 code a few times, and I have read that cleaning the throttle bodies would probably help things.

Now, the question is, can I get to the throttle bodies to clean them good by just taking off the right side cover? Also, is there a recommended procedure for cleaning them?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Okay, I have gotten the Error 18 code a few times, and I have read that cleaning the throttle bodies would probably help things.

Now, the question is, can I get to the throttle bodies to clean them good by just taking off the right side cover? Also, is there a recommended procedure for cleaning them?
Yes, you just have to hold the butterfly open with something then clean the throttle body using a clean rag or toothbrush, etc. Here is a list of error codes also

Attachments

·
Registered
580 Posts
Been searching, and no luck on finding one for the Vulcan.
It's pretty simple to pull off the right hand cover and the throttle body is right there.......hold the butterfly open with something and clean away. You could make your own video.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's pretty simple to pull off the right hand cover and the throttle body is right there.......hold the butterfly open with something and clean away. You could make your own video.
Actually, I will need to kidnap my roommate to help me with doing that. He'll run the camera while I do the cleaning job.
Question, that spray type throttlebody cleaner safe to use? I was thinking that stuff could be useful for the harder to reach spots.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I found an old aerosol can of Amsoil Power Foam in my workshop. I can't remember where I got that or what I intended to use it for at the time. It could have belonged to the young fella even... he's an aircraft engineer & left a lot of stuff behind during his last move out of home (as they all do).

It's mine now anyway, and it's been fantastic for the occasional scrub of a throttle body. Spray some in there, use an old toothbrush & some Q tips & clean rags. Comes up a treat.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I found an old aerosol can of Amsoil Power Foam in my workshop. I can't remember where I got that or what I intended to use it for at the time. It could have belonged to the young fella even... he's an aircraft engineer & left a lot of stuff behind during his last move out of home (as they all do).

It's mine now anyway, and it's been fantastic for the occasional scrub of a throttle body. Spray some in there, use an old toothbrush & some Q tips & clean rags. Comes up a treat.

Ditto what he said. I use the wif........er, I mean an old toothbrush and some seafoam or other type of fuel stabilizer/carb cleaner. It's surprising the difference it makes just doing that once in a while

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Excellemt! I will look for that stuff. (I have a habit of trusting stuff others have had positive experience with)

·
Registered
30 Posts
This might be a silly question. I see the throttle butterflies upon opening the right side cover, however I can't seem to open them manually. I'm afraid if I use a screwdriver to push them open I might damage something. But when the bike is on, the flaps open and close by turning the handle bar throttle. Am I just being chicken? Can I just spray some carb/throttle cleaner in there?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This might be a silly question. I see the throttle butterflies upon opening the right side cover, however I can't seem to open them manually. I'm afraid if I use a screwdriver to push them open I might damage something. But when the bike is on, the flaps open and close by turning the handle bar throttle. Am I just being chicken? Can I just spray some carb/throttle cleaner in there?
Tomorrow, I shall be doing the cleaning, and I will have my roommate recording me doing the job. I will have the video uploaded by the evening time.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok... I took the right cover off, including the backing that was covering the throttle body assembly. Everything that I could get to was squeaky clean. Heck, I was tempted to try to eat my dinner off of it!

Opening the other side, I see that the air filter was dirtier than a politician on election day.

Now, I put the new filter in, and took the bike for a spin. For the life of me, I could not get the bike to deliver an error code. Heck, I even tried hammering on the throttle at 40 mph in 6th gear. You could tell the engine was lugging, but it still pulled just fine. On the plus side, I have noticed improved power across the board, and noticeably less hesitation, especially down low.

Here is my theory on what was going on:
The filter was so clogged, that it was restricting air flow so badly, the ECU was reading much less air than the throttle settings indicated there should be, and that is what was triggering the Error 18 code. The ECU was thinking that the throttle position sensor was faulty is my guess, due to less airflow than the throttle position indicated there should be.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Ok... I took the right cover off, including the backing that was covering the throttle body assembly. Everything that I could get to was squeaky clean. Heck, I was tempted to try to eat my dinner off of it!

Opening the other side, I see that the air filter was dirtier than a politician on election day.

Now, I put the new filter in, and took the bike for a spin. For the life of me, I could not get the bike to deliver an error code. Heck, I even tried hammering on the throttle at 40 mph in 6th gear. You could tell the engine was lugging, but it still pulled just fine. On the plus side, I have noticed improved power across the board, and noticeably less hesitation, especially down low.

Here is my theory on what was going on:
The filter was so clogged, that it was restricting air flow so badly, the ECU was reading much less air than the throttle settings indicated there should be, and that is what was triggering the Error 18 code. The ECU was thinking that the throttle position sensor was faulty is my guess, due to less airflow than the throttle position indicated there should be.
Good a Reason as any:wink2:Way dirtier than mine is,mine is due tho

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good a Reason as any:wink2:Way dirtier than mine is,mine is due tho
Thing is, I've only had the bike for a couple months, so it seems that the stealership sold me a bike that was in desperate need of a new filter. Makes me wonder if the oil filter is as clogged...

Hmmm... I wonder if it would be possible to improve airflow beyond stock while maintaining the stock filter housing? I know that on my old 98 Shadow 750, the air horn inside the filter housing was a HUGE restriction. I wonder if the air horn on the Nomad would be as restrictive, and if removing it might improve airflow. (Assuming that I get a freer flowing exhaust as well. Both would be in conjunction with getting the bike IVANIZED)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts