Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all
I have 2009 1700 nomad. I had the ECU recall done and now 3 ECU's later I still have a poor running nomad along with error code 18. It started running rough like a carbed bike that wasn't warmed up. The dealer called Kaw everytime and they would say put another ECU in. It started throwing the err 18 after the 2nd one. The last one I thought was going to be ok but now it threw the code 5 times today. Everytime I would run the bike and let it set for approx an hour, I would start it up, pull out and there goes the flashing red light and err 18. If I pull over and shut the bike off for about 2 min. it clears. Problem then is it runs rough. I am thinking there is something else causing this and not the ECU. They all can't be bad. I really love this bike and not complaining about it. I would take a 2011 right now if I and the cash for it. That's how much I like these bikes. I guess the question I have is, has anyone else had a similar problem like this and what was done. My dealer is willing to do what it takes, But I am getting disgusted with always going to him. I am sure he will never forget me. Of course I have given him a lot of business over the last 10 years and he knows that.
Thank in advance
Bill

·
Registered
11,749 Posts
Error code 18 - Throttle position sensor fault or its wiring.
That fault will absolutely cause the engine to run bad.
The dealer should check the wiring closely, particularly at the sensor connectors, and ECU connectors, for being loose, bad crimp, etc. Could be vibration sensitive.
They could also check that the sensor has a clean sweep its entire range and voltages are within spec.
If the sensor is bad, Kawasaki probably calls for the replacement of the entire throttle body assembly.
I see no reason that they cannot find this problem, just need to look a little harder. Replacing the ECU is getting nowhere and they are spinning their wheels.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi sfair
Thanks for the reply. Error 18 is the acceleration position sensor which is on the throttle body also. I do know all the stuff you mentioned and I am going back out to the dealer this morning. He did agree after he put this last ECU that this will be the next step. The one reason for the 3rd ECU change was because of it throwing the code. He called kaw and that is what they said to do. Well lo and behold when they put the thrid one in the Cruise Control would not turn on. With that I mean when you pushe the on and off swithc it would not turn on. Well Kaw said it is in the ECU. They were right on one thing. with the 4th one my cruise works great now. All cancel and set switches work great. Just the eror code now. I agree it can't be the ECU and I do agree what you said with the wiring and all. I do have a service manual and have been reading like the morning newspaper LOL. The biggist thing I want or would like to know is if anyone experienced the same problem
Thanks Bill

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hi sfair
Thanks for the reply. Error 18 is the acceleration position sensor which is on the throttle body also. I do know all the stuff you mentioned and I am going back out to the dealer this morning. He did agree after he put this last ECU that this will be the next step. The one reason for the 3rd ECU change was because of it throwing the code. He called kaw and that is what they said to do. Well lo and behold when they put the thrid one in the Cruise Control would not turn on. With that I mean when you pushe the on and off swithc it would not turn on. Well Kaw said it is in the ECU. They were right on one thing. with the 4th one my cruise works great now. All cancel and set switches work great. Just the eror code now. I agree it can't be the ECU and I do agree what you said with the wiring and all. I do have a service manual and have been reading like the morning newspaper LOL. The biggist thing I want or would like to know is if anyone experienced the same problem
Thanks Bill
was your error code 18 on on the first and second ecu? i do remember seeing on here somewhere that someone else had error codes come on after the ecu recall replacement. it was three error codes one being the throttle position sensor. if you didn't have any error codes on your first ecu and when they changed to the second ecu then they popped up, it could very well be your ecu. if it has always been running bad since you got it, then they should be checking the continuity to these parts. i dont know if you can do a search on here for error codes to see who it was that posted this

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hello all
I have 2009 1700 nomad. I had the ECU recall done and now 3 ECU's later I still have a poor running nomad along with error code 18. It started running rough like a carbed bike that wasn't warmed up. The dealer called Kaw everytime and they would say put another ECU in. It started throwing the err 18 after the 2nd one. The last one I thought was going to be ok but now it threw the code 5 times today. Everytime I would run the bike and let it set for approx an hour, I would start it up, pull out and there goes the flashing red light and err 18. If I pull over and shut the bike off for about 2 min. it clears. Problem then is it runs rough. I am thinking there is something else causing this and not the ECU. They all can't be bad. I really love this bike and not complaining about it. I would take a 2011 right now if I and the cash for it. That's how much I like these bikes. I guess the question I have is, has anyone else had a similar problem like this and what was done. My dealer is willing to do what it takes, But I am getting disgusted with always going to him. I am sure he will never forget me. Of course I have given him a lot of business over the last 10 years and he knows that.
Thank in advance
Bill
yes, go to the search option on the forum and type in error codes and it comes up. the codes they where getting where 12,13,and14 though. code 18 is accelerator throttle position

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the input. I did a search awhile ago. I did go to the dealer this morning. He did diagnostics on wiring, tps, aps, and everything. They came up with everything within spec. What he did do and I was right there, is clean the throttle body. It had this oily film built up on it. It was also dirty. He cleaned it out. Now if it happens again we will call Kaw and tell them everything we did so far and see what they say. Altho. I have ridin this bike ever since this morning. let it sit. Start to ride again. In town and highway. It runs like a new bike. Has not messed up once. Now that's not to say it still won't. Crossing fingers right now. I sure hope this cures the problem.
thanks Bill

·
Registered
369 Posts
Thanks for all the input. I did a search awhile ago. I did go to the dealer this morning. He did diagnostics on wiring, tps, aps, and everything. They came up with everything within spec. What he did do and I was right there, is clean the throttle body. It had this oily film built up on it. It was also dirty. He cleaned it out. Now if it happens again we will call Kaw and tell them everything we did so far and see what they say. Altho. I have ridin this bike ever since this morning. let it sit. Start to ride again. In town and highway. It runs like a new bike. Has not messed up once. Now that's not to say it still won't. Crossing fingers right now. I sure hope this cures the problem.
thanks Bill
good news, but i hate having a 17000 bike and having to cross fingers to make sure it runs right. im kinda in the same boat.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did about 250 miles since have the throttle body cleaned and it is still running like a brand new bike. I think I can uncross my fingers now.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did about 250 miles since have the throttle body cleaned and it is still running like a brand new bike. I think I can uncross my fingers now.

·
Registered
11,749 Posts
First, I said throttle position sensor when it was accelerator position sensor. Got TPS on the brain and it was stuck there.
I, personally, cannot see how cleaning the throttle body would clear that code unless something was disturbed in the process. But if it is working, what can I say???

·
Registered
369 Posts
First, I said throttle position sensor when it was accelerator position sensor. Got TPS on the brain and it was stuck there.
I, personally, cannot see how cleaning the throttle body would clear that code unless something was disturbed in the process. But if it is working, what can I say???
im thinking when they cleaned it, they pulled it from the bike, in doing so you have to unplug both the throttle and accelerator position sensor. maybe a wire

1 - 11 of 11 Posts