Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, i have a 2010 Vulcan Voyager. Just wondering if this has ever happened to anyone on this forum. About a week ago, i went for a 1/2 hour ride. I shut the bike off , and i went to restart it about 5 minutes later, and it wont start. The motor turns but it wont start. It reads error code 21 on the display. I waited about a 1/2 hour and it restarted no problem. Error code 21 according to the shop manual means Crankshaft sensor fault. When I got home I cleaned the connector before the cable goes into the engine, thinking maybe a dirty connection, and for a week its been fine without a hiccup. I went to start it yesterday, and again it wont start and error code 21. This time no matter how long I wait or what I do it wont start. I did a resistance check of the sensor at the leads and it reads "open". Its going to the dealer tommorow. Anybody else experience this?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its going to take a week to get the part. The Kawasaki mechanic was surprised. He said he hasn't changed a crank sensor on any bike in a while.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Hi everyone, i have a 2010 Vulcan Voyager. Just wondering if this has ever happened to anyone on this forum. About a week ago, i went for a 1/2 hour ride. I shut the bike off , and i went to restart it about 5 minutes later, and it wont start. The motor turns but it wont start. It reads error code 21 on the display. I waited about a 1/2 hour and it restarted no problem. Error code 21 according to the shop manual means Crankshaft sensor fault. When I got home I cleaned the connector before the cable goes into the engine, thinking maybe a dirty connection, and for a week its been fine without a hiccup. I went to start it yesterday, and again it wont start and error code 21. This time no matter how long I wait or what I do it wont start. I did a resistance check of the sensor at the leads and it reads "open". Its going to the dealer tommorow. Anybody else experience this?
Just had the same issue on my 09 Nomad. I hear a sound emitting from below the battery when I push the ignition but nothing is turning. After a couple of attempts the Error 21 code started flashing. It's been raining hard most of the day here so I suspect that perhaps some moisture may have got into the connector you spoke of. I hope it's not the crank sensor. I assume your warranty covered the replacement part right? How long did it take to get fixed?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Hi Matt, it took aprox. 3 weeks to get the part, 1 day to install.
Thanks for the reply. I was able to start the bike up later that day and haven't had a problem since thankfully. My gear indicator is acting up more lately though and I wonder if that is related.

I tried looking up the crank sensor in the online OEM parts stores but I can't find it listed or available to purchase. Do you happen to know the part # or what the cost of the part was? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Kawasaki mechanic was surprised. He said he hasn't changed a crank sensor on any bike in a while.
My 02 Venture with 140 k miles was in the shop getting a new crank sensor when I got the Voyager last July. It took 6 weeks to get a new one from Japan, and parts and labor was only $121.00. When they got the new part in I traded the Venture for the Voyager... and they gave me a LOT more than I was even going to ask for trade in.... I about fainted.... They only had the Venture on the floor for about a week before it was sold....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts