Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was taking a look at the Error Code sheet, and I noticed this:
18 ETV Accelerator position sensor malfunction, wiring open or short.
Now, since I do not like having the issue repeatedly coming back, and the thought of buying a new throttle body assembly makes me feel ill, if it is a bad connection somewhere, maybe I might be able to fix the issue for good, and not have to end up eating Ramen noodles due to being perpetually broke.

My question is, does anyone know where the bad connection might be exactly, and how to best go about checking for a bad connection?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, saving me money that I can use towards getting Celestia IVANIZED, as well as buying the Vaquero pieces I want for her.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I was taking a look at the Error Code sheet, and I noticed this:

Now, since I do not like having the issue repeatedly coming back, and the thought of buying a new throttle body assembly makes me feel ill, if it is a bad connection somewhere, maybe I might be able to fix the issue for good, and not have to end up eating Ramen noodles due to being perpetually broke.

My question is, does anyone know where the bad connection might be exactly, and how to best go about checking for a bad connection?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, saving me money that I can use towards getting Celestia IVANIZED, as well as buying the Vaquero pieces I want for her.
This Tuesday AM I got the red light FI after leaving the house then two blocks later error 18. So I turned around and drove something else to work. Today I charged the battery for about an hour and there were no codes. Drove it for about 15 minutes. The bike had been sitting for almost a month without me riding it. Low voltage can cause all kinds of phantom problems on these 1700's. When the bike is not throwing a code on start up does the red light stay on for a second or two after start up?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This Tuesday AM I got the red light FI after leaving the house then two blocks later error 18. So I turned around and drove something else to work. Today I charged the battery for about an hour and there were no codes. Drove it for about 15 minutes. The bike had been sitting for almost a month without me riding it. Low voltage can cause all kinds of phantom problems on these 1700's. When the bike is not throwing a code on start up does the red light stay on for a second or two after start up?
No, it doesn't, and the battery is in excellent condition with a full charge. The battery connections are tight as well.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When does the code show up...key on or after riding?
After riding. It could happen within the first mile, or it could happen near the end of a hundred mile long ride, or somewhere in between. I park the bike and shut it down (ignition off) and start it 10-15 seconds later, and it is clear, and the bike seems fine.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Does it seem to happen every ride, or?
Is performance affected?
Does warning indicator blink or on solid?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does it seem to happen every ride, or?
Is performance affected?
Does warning indicator blink or on solid?
Not every ride. Kinda random.
Performance IS effected when it happens. Power is severely reduced.
And I cannot remember off the top of my head if it blinks or is solid.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No warrantee, so the dealers will tell me, after however many hours it takes them to "test" it, that I "need" a new throttle body assembly. (Never mind whether or not the issue is actually in the throttle body or not, they will just wanna sell me an $800+ part)

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
When mine does this, once I turn off key for a few seconds and restart, it goes away. Last saturday mine did this leaving the parking lot at the Dragon. This may help, I have a Gman fuel controller mounted where I can see it when riding. Even at full twist of the throttle, the yellow, acceleration mode or red full throttle modes would not light, only showing 3 green lights indicating cruise mode. It would also act like I was hitting the rev limiter at 3800 rpm, according to the tach. Mine usually comes up right after I twist the throttle after starting.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Also... I just found out today there was a recall at some point concerning this issue. I must look into this. If there was a recall, then I should not have to pay to get the issue fixed, possibly.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Also... I just found out today there was a recall at some point concerning this issue. I must look into this. If there was a recall, then I should not have to pay to get the issue fixed, possibly.
Would be interested in this info myself, as I'm sure many others would be also.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Error 18 appeared on my bike, as well. A 2009 Vulcan Classic 1700 LT. The code appeared only three times over the course of the last two to three months. No performance issues when it comes on and once I turn the engine off the code does not come back when I restart the engine. The throttle sometimes idles high, but never when the error 18 code pops up. Again, the high idle is random and sometimes lasts for a few seconds, other times for an hour.

I brought the bike to the dealer and told them about the code and the idle issue. Apparently the code didn't save so they could not retrieve it. The mechanic could not replicate the high idle either. They told me they'll need to wait until the bike shows mechanical symptoms before they can diagnose the problem, or I should bring the bike in when the code comes back. The trouble is that the code doesn't come back once I turn the engine off. What's the sense of an Error code if it is not going to be heeded? I thought that the combination of the code AND my experiences with the high idle would help the dealer diagnose the issue.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts