Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Vulcanites,
I purchased a 2008 Vulcan 900 Classic in July '19 with 6200 miles. Basically made sure it had oil, brake fluid and battery charge and started riding her.
I had always noticed her idle was fast/erratic. I'd seldom have issues with it starting up.
As of late, I added some Lukas fuel system cleaner for the injectors and that's when it all started to go wrong. The idle got much better, but she suffered a major power loss and back-firing started to occur after warm-up. The exhaust manifold/header weld was glowing red after the last time I tried riding her into work. She shut off and I had to turn back home.
This is my first bike, but I am mechanically inclined and can trouble shoot with the assistance of manuals/youtube.
Have any of you encountered such problems out there? I appreciate you time and help.
Exhaust Glow 2.jpg

Exhaust Glow 1.jpg

RRAM58
Jensen Beach FL.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I had always noticed her idle was fast/erratic.
How many miles did it have on it then? How many miles does it have on it now? What is the history of the bike? Ever been wrecked? Any "idiot lights" on?

The exhaust manifold/header weld was glowing red after the last time I tried riding her into work. She shut off and I had to turn back home.
This is cylinder mis-fire.

This is my first bike, but I am mechanically inclined and can trouble shoot with the assistance of manuals/youtube.
Well... what have you physically done/checked, to fix it so far? Adding chemicals doesn't count.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Interesting. I bought my 900 used, and it had overheated in the same area as yours. The problem was a bad spark plug in the front cylinder. When I changed it, it was nearly new, but badly misfiring, causing overheating when the air/fuel mixture ignited in the same area of the exhaust (at the crossover tube). Changing spark plugs corrected all this. NGK once had a run of bad plugs for a while. I think I had one of them, and you might as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How many miles did it have on it then? How many miles does it have on it now? What is the history of the bike? Ever been wrecked? Any "idiot lights" on?
This is cylinder mis-fire.
Well... what have you physically done/checked, to fix it so far? Adding chemicals doesn't count.
I bought with 6,200 mi. I'm currently at 6,860. The bike was very well kept. Inside a room in a house (under A/C) and never dropped. No idiot lights. oil level is good.

So I actually started a discussion under GENERAL VULCAN TALK titled "Where Does Everyone Purchase Their Maintenance Products? Oil, Oil/Air Filters, Spark Plugs, Brake Pads, Battery, Fluids, Etc." and added a link to a Service tune-up kit on eBay. I purchased that kit, changed the Air Filter and changing spark plugs now. I'll also perform an oil change in a few days...

We just hit our fall/winter weather here in Florida... 68-71*F, so I'm really excited to get riding again....LOL..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
check your air filter - my be clogged
Just finished changing it out. It was definitely due for a replacement. I've seen videos of people cleaning their air filters (warm water/degreaser and scrubbing it with a toothbrush) and putting it back in. Any of you do/recommend this? I've got the old one I just took out still in the garage.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting. I bought my 900 used, and it had overheated in the same area as yours. The problem was a bad spark plug in the front cylinder. When I changed it, it was nearly new, but badly misfiring, causing overheating when the air/fuel mixture ignited in the same area of the exhaust (at the crossover tube). Changing spark plugs corrected all this. NGK once had a run of bad plugs for a while. I think I had one of them, and you might as well.
I think this may be my problem as well JBiggers. I'm about to got out and change them out. Hoping this will fix my issue. The intense heat stained my chrome pipes though. Do any of you have tips/advice on how to remove the burn marks and restore the shine?

·
Registered
415 Posts
There is a product called "Blue Away" that helped with my pipes, but it ultimately did not correct the appearance issue completely. I ended up replacing the pipes with another stock pair from a generous fellow who replaced them with an aftermarket pair. They only had 400 miles on them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's DONE....
AND FIXED!!! Guess who's riding to work tonight.... lol
Thanks to everyone who contributed to my success. It was the spark plugs by the way. I managed to take advantage and change out the Air filter. I just have the oil change to do in a few days.
20191116_151532.jpg
20191116_151626.jpg

20191116_151731.jpg
20191116_151742.jpg

·
Registered
415 Posts
I once cleaned my air filter, by soaking it in soapy water, and scrubbing it gently with a tooth brush. Since the filter element was basically paper, I worried a bit about tearing the paper. It took 3 days for the paper to dry, but it did work. Later I just bought a new air filter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Vulcanites,
I purchased a 2008 Vulcan 900 Classic in July '19 with 6200 miles. Basically made sure it had oil, brake fluid and battery charge and started riding her.
I had always noticed her idle was fast/erratic. I'd seldom have issues with it starting up.
As of late, I added some Lukas fuel system cleaner for the injectors and that's when it all started to go wrong. The idle got much better, but she suffered a major power loss and back-firing started to occur after warm-up. The exhaust manifold/header weld was glowing red after the last time I tried riding her into work. She shut off and I had to turn back home.
Have any of you encountered such problems out there? I appreciate you time and help.
View attachment 239992
View attachment 239991
RRAM58
Jensen Beach FL.
You might need intake boots most likely cracked sucking to much air

1 - 14 of 14 Posts