Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I recently purchased a 2009 Nomad, after a few miles of riding I received a code on the message center.
That says err 11 after some research I found that it is a throttle position sensor. My question is, does the sensor need to be replaced or is there something else that might be causing this? The bike only has 8200 miles on it. I am new to the nomad have been riding an 89 goldwing. Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
314 Posts
There is a test procedure for the throttle position sensor in the Nomad shop manual beginning on page 3-42. If you don't have the manual PM me and I'll try to help you out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome, Thank You. I will look it up and see what I can get done. On another note i was cleaning the throttle body last night, and noticed that with the throttle wide open the butterflies on the the throttle body were only about a quarter of the way open. Would that be the result of the TPS or is that normal on the nomad?

·
Registered
314 Posts
I went and pulled the cover off mine. The butterflies open fully with ignition on and throttle twisted wide open (engine not running). As to whether or not it's related to the TPS error, I don't know but it would sure be suspect.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you know if the TPS can be replaced or do you have to replace the complete throttle body assembly? In the service manual it never says anything about replacing the sensor it says to replace the throttle body assembly, the ecu or the wiring harness. Have you had the Ivan flash done on your 1700?

·
Registered
314 Posts
My bike is mechanically and electrically stock. I've never liked altering/changing certain factory "stuff" (someone will give me grief over that, lol!). Other than what the shop manual says, I can't give you more info. I searched and found a few forum threads on this error code, but no info on replacing the tps. Also, I can't find a tps sensor listed as a separate part on several m/c parts vendors websites. Maybe you can pick up some more info by searching. Also, there are some really great, knowledgeable forum members that might be able to help if they'll chime in. About all I can do at this point is compare your findings with my bike, and wish you luck!

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
What I have read on error 11 showing is when you turn the key on and the throttle body butterflies reset, if they are not both set correctly you will get this error. I have got this error twice in 40k miles. I just shut down and restart.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have shut the bike off several times and started it back up and it keeps coming back up. I even unhooked the battery. In the service manual it says wiring open or short so I guess I will start chasing wires. Thanks so much for your input, I am open to any suggestions.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Per the shop manual it looks like with err code 11, it'll go into a power limitation mode, or other, depending on one or both tps failure. I would suspect that might affect the ability to use cruise.

"If both throttle position sensor 1 and 2 fail, the ECU sets the DFI in the D-J method (*1) and sets to the limp home mode (*2). If either sensor fails, the ECU sets to the power limitation mode (*3)."

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
CarGuy, I seen that in the manual. Is it suppose to display the other part of it or is that just a reference 1 or both of the sensors failing?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If I had to guess I would say mine is in the power limitation mode. It does pretty good with lower rpm's but if you really get on it, it acts like it has a governor on it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Not sure if I understand your question on the display. If you're referencing the #'s 1, 2 and/or 3 then no, they refer to bullet points at the bottom of that page in the shop manual.

Regarding your second point, That's probably why your butterfly's aren't opening fully.

Have you followed the diagnostic procedure in the shop manual yet? That's where I would start. Also, I would pull all the connectors off the tps and clean them up. Can't hurt. A dirty contact could easily cause the code.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I tried it but couldn't get any voltage reading. I don't have the needle pin adapter and what I had I don't think I was making contact. Will try again this weekend. I took all of the connection off and cleaned them didn't change anything.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, This weekend I was able to do the test that are in the service manual, according to the test I have to replace the throttle body assembly. So I have a question will the throttle body off of a 2012 voyager 1700 work on the 09 nomad?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Per the Kawasaki website, they both have the same part numbers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts