Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello friends,

I recently purchased my first motorcycle after a lot of research decided on the Vulcan S in June. Now I have 3000km on her and love it! But when I purchased the bike I was under the impression I had "window" to swap out parts as I was not fitted in any way. I reached out about swapping the seat to an extended reach as the mid is killing me and the dealership has been a nightmare. I contacted the manufacturer and they said i should have been fitted and has forced the dealer to swap my seat. Now I still will not be fitted and in fact they don't even have an extended reach model for me to try. I get a one time swap for parts. Now I'm not worried about the pegs as they seem to be $10 but I'm wondering about the bars? I am just over 5'10". If I swap the seat will i be able to reach the bars?

Thanks for any help or thoughts

(Bought the bike in Calgary Alberta Canada)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Extended Bars are the same as the stock bars

The Extended reach seat is slightly better than the mid reach; allows you to move around.

My overall advice is if you fit fit the stock seat, invest in a Corbin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
The extended seat is comfortable. I believe its memory or gel. I dont remember. This November will be 3 years I owned it. Only 5032 miles as of today! I'm 5 11 and weigh 260# now.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hello friends,

I recently purchased my first motorcycle after a lot of research decided on the Vulcan S in June. Now I have 3000km on her and love it! But when I purchased the bike I was under the impression I had "window" to swap out parts as I was not fitted in any way. I reached out about swapping the seat to an extended reach as the mid is killing me and the dealership has been a nightmare. I contacted the manufacturer and they said i should have been fitted and has forced the dealer to swap my seat. Now I still will not be fitted and in fact they don't even have an extended reach model for me to try. I get a one time swap for parts. Now I'm not worried about the pegs as they seem to be $10 but I'm wondering about the bars? I am just over 5'10". If I swap the seat will i be able to reach the bars?

Thanks for any help or thoughts

(Bought the bike in Calgary Alberta Canada)
Hi ZERO00,

I have the same bike (mine is green) and I'm the same height as you. I have the mid-reach just like you. I can tell you the stock seat is not good at all. At least for more than 45 minutes for me. I am buying a Corbin. If you look around the forum you will see many postings about the seat and many people have gone with a Corbin. Hope this helps. Good luck with your new bike!

·
Registered
34 Posts
My dealer experience was similar. Ergo Fit is a great idea, but the dealers don’t seem to haven’t bought into it because it requires effort on their part. I switched from the mid to extended reach for the same reason. The extended isn’t the greatest thing ever, but it is much better than the mid. I bought a pair of inexpensive risers for the bars on eBay that allowed me to pull them back a bit. I had to modify the risers and get longer bolts because they fit just like a pair of $20 risers can be expected to, but in the end it was a good solution and the bike is much more comfortable overall. I also bought the seat used on eBay and moved the pegs back to the reduced reach position.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My dealer had mine on the ergo stand; and then the Kawi rep came in and told them they had the demo set up all backwards. I wanted it bad so I told them take it off and get it ready for its new home. The rep said it looked like extended pegs may be for me and that the dealer would have the extended shifter bar within a week...so I could bring the bike back for fitting or I could do it myself.

Well, they never did call so after a couple weeks I ordered one from Kawi for something like $6 and extended the pegs myself.

The seat... like when I got my first decent mountain bike; I got a sore behind till I gradually worked up to more distance riding. I'm hoping the same will happen with the KVS.. I've only been riding 4 months and my longest ride was 2 hours last week; and I was sore in the saddle for sure! I don't think I'll ever change seats cause I do mostly commutes to work and short weekend rides.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I can do up to 45 minutes so short commutes are not a problem. I want to take some longer rides so I'm getting the Corbin. I agree though for shirt daily commutes it's not bad. :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm 5'10" with a 30" inseam. 10k miles on the bike with mid-reach. After about 45 minutes it gets uncomfortable. I can go about 2 hours of steady feet up riding before I absolutely have to stop and stand.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Another consideration that might help is the use of floorboards vs pegs. I find the floorboards help tremoundsly during riding experience.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I guess I had a good experience. I got the extended reach and they gave me the stock middle seat to take home with me. Had to change the pegs to middle reach when the crash bar got installed but it doesn't feel bad. I have been able to ride it for 1 hour 30 minutes, after that I have to take a break to rest buttocks.

I read lots of messages in this forums about the Corbin seat, are they extended reach too? or how do they work? I'm afraid of getting one and it ends up feeling like a middle reach seat.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have both the stock and the extended. I prefer the extended (yes it is gel), as the stock is too confining. For reference, I'm 5'7. I just had extended reach seat re-done with more gel (by a local guy). It makes long rides better...not great but better. It's a small seat pan, there's not a lot you can do to it. If it was just a tad wider....

·
Registered
123 Posts
Risers...

I bought a pair of inexpensive risers for the bars on eBay that allowed me to pull them back a bit. I had to modify the risers and get longer bolts because they fit just like a pair of $20 risers can be expected to, but in the end it was a good solution and the bike is much more comfortable overall.
Joe, which risers did you get? I didn't know there were any out there that would fit. Did you have any issue with cable lengths? I'm either going to do that or get the reduced reach bars.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I’m not finding them on eBay right now, probably because they didn’t fit. The round that inserts down into the handlebar clamp was at the wrong angle so I had to grind them down a bit and the bolts were the wrong size so I had to get new ones. But again, a $20 solution. I didn’t have any problem with cable length. After grinding, I sprayed them flat black and used a little black RTV sealer to fill in small gaps from my messy grinding job, but you really have to be looking for it to see it anyway.

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thanks. I think I found some that might do the trick. Either the ones by Rox or Ape Racing.

update: neither will because of the speedometer. it has to be similar to what you got!

·
Registered
5 Posts
What ever you decide about the seat try some floorboards. They really help with position changes and fatigue relief. I've been in the saddle for 10 hours with the stock seat. Not the most comfortable but manageable. Enjoy!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Corbin all the way for me. Standard seat is just horrible and almost ruined the bike experience for me. Invested some $$$$ in the Corbin and never looked back. Sold the standard on Gumtree (its like Craigslist here in Oz) to offset the costs.
Also, the extended reach handle bars are different. The come closer to your body about 1 - 1 1/2 inches. Good if you have short arms. Also have the angle of the bars adjusted at the dealership while you are sitting on the bike, and the angle of the break and clutch levers. Its worth to take your time to get this right. My 2019 is now near perfect and the best bike I ever owned.

Oh yeah I also invested in a Delkevic Ceramic Exhaust system and ... wow !

1 - 17 of 17 Posts