Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, New to the Forums.
I have a 1993 Vulcan EN500-A4, last week while at a stoplight, engine was idle-ing fine, then when I gave it gas to go the engine stalled out. All lights come on, engine turns over, but the starter motor only turns it over a few times before it stops on its own as if the battery is low on charge. It almost seems as though there's too much compression in the engine. Being hopeful and lazy I replaced the battery but even with a new battery still the same problem, however, I did read on the forums here about someone who was having a problem with their starter that if they jammed hard on the starter button it would get the starter motor to run, so I did that and it did get the starter motor to keep running for longer but not by a whole lot and still no firing of the engine at all. Before this problem the engine would fire-up immediately upon cranking it over, no hesitation whatsoever.

Any suggestions, advice, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
--Jeff

·
Registered
701 Posts
First thing to do is charge that new battery.
I know, but a new battery can be not fully charged when you get it.
AND a trickle charger wont do it.

After its fully charged let it sit for a few hours, then check the voltage level.
It should be 13 volts or higher or its not a good "new" battery.
Yep there are bad new batteries.

While charging pull the spark plugs to see if they are covered with gas.
If they are dry them, if not make sure they are good and reinstall them.

Turn the fuel petcock to off, pull off the fuel hose, attach a new hose to the petcock and run it into a container.
Turn the petcock to on or prime and see that fuel is flowing.

When this is done post results.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Also check the battery connections, the verticle & horizontal. My "L" connectors were not tight to the battery posts and my bike gave every indication of a dead battery.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts