Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2007 vulcan 900 that I got 2 years ago and currently has 7000 mIles on it(bought with 5200 miles). I use mobie 1 4t racing synthetic oil in the bike. It has from the start made a loud high pitched noise when in 3/4/5th gears when hitting throttle. The noise goes away when pulling in the clutch. I raplaced the stator and swapped out the front pulley with a Barons 34 tooth. The noise is very loud at times and if I back off throttle it goes way down. Some times it is actually ear piercing loud and high pitched.

Any ideas what would cause this?

·
Registered
847 Posts
I would assume we don't know based on the number of lookers and no replies. I would suggest you search this forum for a similar thread, there is a lot of stuff on here that is helpful. Sorry I cannot help you.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I have an 07 as well and the only thing close to what your describing was when I had a Scoot Works rear pulley. It was awful. I would suggest you spray some belt dressing on the rear pulley and see if that makes any difference. Belt dressing is not recommended for these belts but that's how I found my problem. It won't hurt it just to test it.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Check the alignment of the drive belt to start with. The bike is 8 years old and appears to have not been ridden much, so a second check might be to see if the rubber in the drivable has started to dry out and deteriorated. (long shot, I know) Then check the rear pulley to make sure it has somehow gotten bent or warped. If all that fails to determine what is causing that howling sound, you may need to (shudder) take it to your dealer and have them check it out. But it sounds to me that it's coming from in the driveline somewhere because the sound reduces in volume or goes away when you let off the throttle and/or pull in the clutch which relieves pressure on the driveline system. Than lastly, it's possible, but not very likely that it's a clutch issue. I suspect if it were the clutch, you'd be smelling burning clutch plates or experiencing loss of power when the clutch slips.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts