Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '09 1700 VV with ABS, with 18+K miles on it. I noticed this past weekend when I was going up the highway and actually had the chance to get 'er up over 55 mph, it seemed to be running fine until I got to 6th gear and it seemed like there was just nothing there. There was no pickup to it at all... and actually seemed to 'chug' and shake a little... kinda... "tractor-ish". I was going about 60-70 and further acceleration was very sluggish, almost-existant. This was with 93 octane. The bike had no such issues in the other 5 gears, at any RPM range.

Any ideas what's up? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Don't worry thats just overdrive. These motorcycles have very tall gears. It seems to me overdrive is just for cruising and if you need some umph drop it to 5th or even 4th. You will get a higher top speed in 5th then OD. I dont know why but it is what it is.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have an '09 1700 VV with ABS, with 18+K miles on it. I noticed this past weekend when I was going up the highway and actually had the chance to get 'er up over 55 mph, it seemed to be running fine until I got to 6th gear and it seemed like there was just nothing there. There was no pickup to it at all... and actually seemed to 'chug' and shake a little... kinda... "tractor-ish". I was going about 60-70 and further acceleration was very sluggish, almost-existant. This was with 93 octane. The bike had no such issues in the other 5 gears, at any RPM range.

My bike does this as well, there is hardly any power in sixth gear. It Boggs when you try and pass someone and makes you wonder if there's Problems

·
Registered
64 Posts
no different than you car with a auto trans...you want to pass you push the gas and the trans downshifts....you have to do it the same....4th gear is the best for passing or speeding up....5th and 6th are for crusing

·
Registered
207 Posts
Did YOU put the 18k+ miles on it or did you recently buy the bike. I would think if you put all the miles on the bike that you would have noticed this earlier. If you are just now noticing a change in the behavior after putting 18k miles on it then get it checked. If you just bought it then I'd agree with everyone else.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts

Actually, this 1700 engine has 2 ODs. I wouldn't use 6th until your at 70 or better. If you have a stock set up I wouldn't use 6th or even 5th to pass at all. IMO :p

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did YOU put the 18k+ miles on it or did you recently buy the bike. I would think if you put all the miles on the bike that you would have noticed this earlier. If you are just now noticing a change in the behavior after putting 18k miles on it then get it checked. If you just bought it then I'd agree with everyone else.
I got this bike in Jan this year... it had 13K miles on it... but I've just noticed this in the past couple weeks. I've thought about trying some Sea Foam and/or changing the plugs to see if that helps it. I just hate to take it to the local dealer...

·
Registered
117 Posts
I got this bike in Jan this year... it had 13K miles on it... but I've just noticed this in the past couple weeks. I've thought about trying some Sea Foam and/or changing the plugs to see if that helps it. I just hate to take it to the local dealer...
I know I am going to get a lot of yea rights but real quick. I have 1700 nomad. 12,000 on it now. Got it used last Aug. Only had 2,000 on it. Never seemed to run right in any gear especially at slow speeds. Did ECU recall. Never ran right. Another ECU. After 3 ECU later we decided to CLEAN the throttle body. It was gummy and filthy. The bike runs better then new. Kaw would tell the dealer to keep changing ECU. After the third one I said to them it can't be the ECU. It keeps getting worse. Started throwing err codes too. Checked all sensor voltage, resistance and continuity. Everything was in speck. Cleaned throttle and run great. So the moral of the story is make sure these thrittle bodies are spic and span or you will get crazy unexplained hapening. Oh for the first time the bike starts up and goes into high idle when cold and settles down as soon as it warms up. I am a very happy camper now.
Bill

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
I know I am going to get a lot of yea rights but real quick. I have 1700 nomad. 12,000 on it now. Got it used last Aug. Only had 2,000 on it. Never seemed to run right in any gear especially at slow speeds. Did ECU recall. Never ran right. Another ECU. After 3 ECU later we decided to CLEAN the throttle body. It was gummy and filthy. The bike runs better then new. Kaw would tell the dealer to keep changing ECU. After the third one I said to them it can't be the ECU. It keeps getting worse. Started throwing err codes too. Checked all sensor voltage, resistance and continuity. Everything was in speck. Cleaned throttle and run great. So the moral of the story is make sure these thrittle bodies are spic and span or you will get crazy unexplained hapening. Oh for the first time the bike starts up and goes into high idle when cold and settles down as soon as it warms up. I am a very happy camper now.
Bill
Hi Bill, I took the covers off and looked into the throttle area and you are right about the gunk in there. I wasn't able to take the throttle body out due to time constraints but I cleaned as much as I could by wiping the area outside of the butterflies and opening the butterflies and wiping what ever I could get to on the other side. Quite bit of oily film and a couple of larger drops of oil some from the K/N filter, some from the breather pipe that runs into the tunnel. I know nothing about engines or fuel injection but it seems to me that sort of build up must affect either air flow or butterfly performance over time, which in turn could affect the bike performance in some way.

What do you need to do to take the throttle body out? Anyone done it?

Vic

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi Bill, I took the covers off and looked into the throttle area and you are right about the gunk in there. I wasn't able to take the throttle body out due to time constraints but I cleaned as much as I could by wiping the area outside of the butterflies and opening the butterflies and wiping what ever I could get to on the other side. Quite bit of oily film and a couple of larger drops of oil some from the K/N filter, some from the breather pipe that runs into the tunnel. I know nothing about engines or fuel injection but it seems to me that sort of build up must affect either air flow or butterfly performance over time, which in turn could affect the bike performance in some way.

Hi Vic. What you did is what the dealer did to mine. I wouldn't advise taking the throttle body off. Especially if you are not familiar with what you are doing. The TPS and APS are attached to the throttle body and if you screw them up then you need a whole new body. I also asked them what they cleaned it with and they said electrical contact cleaner. The next time I will do it myself.
Let me know if that worked for you.
Bill

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1 - 14 of 14 Posts