Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a fairly loud ticking that seems to be coming from the front side of the engine. It is usually only apparent when the bike has been sitting for a few days and goes away after riding a few minutes. I also have a chirping noise that is constant at cruising speeds that seems to disappear while accelerating. It is loud enough to hear over my Cobra pipes and most annoying since I put my windshield on. I believe the chirping and ticking are unrelated. I purchased the bike last year and it has about 17K miles on it and is a 2005 model.

The last oil change on it was listed in the book by the previous owner and dated 2008 at 16K miles but I changed the oil and filter after purchase with Yamalube synthetic blend. I don't know whether it sat up for years or the odo was tinkered with. Regardless I love the bike, hate the chirping and ticking. LOL

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
The ticking is hydraulic lash adjusters (HLAs) losing their prime. If it's going away after a few minutes I wouldn't worry about it. If it gets worse (there are threads about this), you can alter the screens in the rocker shafts to get more oil to the HLAs. You can also test and/or replace the HLAs as needed. I'm going to be doing this in a few weeks (my ticking is persistent and driving me nuts!). If I can stay on task, I'll take a bunch of pics as I go and post a thread on fixing the tick (or a thread on ruining a V2K engine).

·
Registered
408 Posts
+1 to what bill said. I only have ~6K miles on my bike and change the oil every year, not sure if oil degradation or just time causes the screens in the rocker shafts to plug up, but it sounds like a PITA or a lot of $$ if you develop that problem. If you look around for similar threads, the topic has been discussed more than once. My bike chirped slightly due to the belt being way too tight from the factory, again a topic that has been discussed several times on here. I did develop a lot of random chirps, squeaks and clicks after riding two up into a nasty head wind for just under an hour once, oddly most of these noises seem only show up after the bike has been ridden pretty hard for a while. Go figure, maybe it's just trying to tell me something?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I currently have a Mercury 60 4 stroke torn down to the pistons in the garage, probably won't get it back together for a couple of months. The thought of tearing down my bike isn't very appealing at the moment. Ha.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Yeah, I understand how you feel, the thought of having to some day tear down the top end of my bike is very unappealing. From what is written in a few posts, the engine has to be dropped to get to the rear rocker box and it's not exactly a 5hp briggs in terms of weight!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Well, I currently have a Mercury 60 4 stroke torn down to the pistons in the garage, probably won't get it back together for a couple of months. The thought of tearing down my bike isn't very appealing at the moment. Ha.
Really, it sounds like you're a ways out from needing to do this, unless the ticking really bothers you.

From all I've uncovered, the engine definitely has to be dropped (we'll see how much) to get to the rear rocker box. The jury's still out on whether it needs dropped to get to the front one. Of course, my noise comes from the rear. I'm going in & replacing all the HLAs and rocker shafts, which I'll drill holes in before installing. Might as well fire all the guns at once.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Bill Braske;1282697If I can stay on task said:
Hi Bill, I think everyone would be dead keen on seeing this task done, documented and tones of pics taken so we can all learn the what where and why's. I have one ticking unit so would really look forward to seeing this done, look forward to seeing it done, Cheers Andrew

1 - 7 of 7 Posts