Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are all v2k engines interchangeable between all the years? Is it better to stick with the later model engines so I don't have to guess if a recall has been performed on the donor?

Looking for a spare to deal with the second gear issue on my current engine and have less downtime while doing the repair.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Engines are the same. Minor differences in some exterior components.

The 'Limited's had more chrome on the side covers.

The '04 (IIRC)had a problem with the drive pulley not having deep enough splines.

I'm sure someone else will chime in.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,906 Posts
I've never heard of a difference in any of the engines. But it's also something that isn't swapped out/changed often.

I think I remember one other person doing it.

Also, I can't think of any recalls ever involving the engine.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
some the erly models 04-06? had single alternator / rectumfire.. later yrs 07+ have dual alternator/ rectumfires.. can you say ouch? poncho

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Gear position sensor is different between <=07 and 08=> ain't it? Also don't they call for a different ECM for some of those differences. Don't know if they are simple outside changes or not, but might be something to look into before going in armpit deep.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Caught my wonderful wife looking for a spare v2k all together. Guess there will be no downtime for repairs! Watch, my luck will be that the new bike will have the same or different issue. I'll have to keep an eye on her to make sure that don't happen.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Don't be afraid to travel to get a good deal. I have seen them for as low as $3800 recently and as high as $9000 (for a stock bike, not sure what they're thinkin)

·
Registered
408 Posts
What issue are you having with second gear? I have noticed that under hard acceleration, the 1 - 2 shift needs to be pretty firm to keep it from not fully engaging and jumping back into neutral from second. I love the leg room and usually just use the front of the heel/toe shifter when upshifting, I've had to work to remember to use the back of the shifter and push it firmly into second when accelerating hard.

·
BOTM Winner, April 2016
424 Posts
What issue are you having with second gear? I have noticed that under hard acceleration, the 1 - 2 shift needs to be pretty firm to keep it from not fully engaging and jumping back into neutral from second. I love the leg room and usually just use the front of the heel/toe shifter when upshifting, I've had to work to remember to use the back of the shifter and push it firmly into second when accelerating hard.
^^^^^^ THIS!!!!! I have this exact same issue!!! dang

1 - 10 of 10 Posts