Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one have information on which year engines are compatible with my 04 Vulcan classic. It is carbureted.

Anybody have one laying around? I live south of Tucson, AZ. but can travel for a good motor. Or ship.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
1998 & up, Carbureted will be an exact interchange. The fuel injected engines will also fit, but you must change the heads to the carbureted ones. Would not recommend anything less than a 2000 model as earlier had plastic oil gear.
Is your's damaged beyond repair?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am working on this bike for someone who thought they got a good deal. The PO was going thru a messy divorce and the wife drained the oil. Engine seized at highway speeds. Both lower rod bearings are spun. Both rods are a nice shade of blue and the crank thrust bearings in the crankcase are scored. Not to mention the minor scoring in the cylinders.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Sounds as if you definitely need an engine. Looks like he would have shut it down when he cranked it up and the red oil light on the dash came on.
Keep an eye on e-bay, your local scrap yards, and the for sale items here in the forums. Plan to spend around $1200, for a decent used engine and figure another $300, for shipping. It may not be worth that much investment unless the bike was almost a freebee.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He paid a grand and my time for dismantling. I'll give it a week to find an engine and told him after that he should part it out.

Live & Learn

1 - 5 of 5 Posts