Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 Classic 1500 carb'd and I was thinking about swapping engines in it. I have searched many forums and tried to find info on what year and model engines are hot swappable..... but to no avail. One forum I saw a couple threads where it was said that pretty much all the 1500 and 1600 engines are interchangeable (just minor differences between FI and carbed).

For example could I use any 1500 or 1600 engine from 2000 up to 2007 in my 03 Classic?

Or how would I go about checking that the bolt patterns line up and the bevel gear lines up if I order an engine from out of state?

·
Premium Member
1,529 Posts
You can use any 1500, '98, 5spd up or any 1600. BUT the biggest issue is with the fuel system. And of course, the '98 & '99 models had the POG. Since your bike is not equipped with an ecu for fuel injection, (and it is not practical to convert), you either want to stay with a carb engine (which limits availability), or swap the carb heads onto the fi engine. Now someone is going to come along and say that you can just drill holes in the fi heads for the carb intake. I can tell you first hand from placing the intake on the fi heads, the metal just is not there for that to be done.

Otherwise, all bolt holes will align. Your speedometer is driven off the front wheel so it won't matter if it has the speed sensor on the bevel gear housing.

If you are ordering an engine I would call and ask every question you can think of first.
Many sellers will not accept returns because it would not fit. Also '04 was the last year for the carb model.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmmm....if 04 was the last year for the carbed engines then I probably should stay between 2000-2004 years of either the 15 or 1600 engines then. Correct?

Thanks for the response bandit. I think you and Mas were two people I found posts referencing swaps on different forums.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
or swap the carb heads onto the fi engine. Now someone is going to come along and say that you can just drill holes in the fi heads for the carb intake. I can tell you first hand from placing the intake on the fi heads, the metal just is not there for that to be done.

So..... If I can't find a carb version I could still use a newer year FI one and swap the carb heads? Or is that what you are saying not to do?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay good. And then I read something somewhere that the timing may change ? Or do I not need to worry about that? Sorry for all the dumb questions. :D

·
Premium Member
1,529 Posts
Timing will not change. Cams are a tad different but you can also install your carb cams if you want while changing heads.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Personally, I'd be tempted to just drop in a FI motor and ECU (if it fits) and not mess with changing heads, fuel setup, cams, etc. Why are you looking to do an engine swap?

·
Premium Member
1,529 Posts
Personally, I'd be tempted to just drop in a FI motor and ECU (if it fits) and not mess with changing heads, fuel setup, cams, etc. Why are you looking to do an engine swap?
This can be done, but while you are at it, you would need a fuel injection wiring harness, fi gas tank w/pump and you may as well change the gauge cluster so the indicator lamps would be correct.

·
Registered
238 Posts
This can be done, but while you are at it, you would need a fuel injection wiring harness, fi gas tank w/pump and you may as well change the gauge cluster so the indicator lamps would be correct.
If the OP finds a wrecked bike on the cheap, that may be a reasonable option. Personally, I'm a little nervous to take my carbed bike on long trips due to the altitude requiring slightly different mixtures. I would like to take a trip to the ocean and also a trip through the rockies. A FI system will take care of altitude (air density) changes automatically where a carb setup won't and may have require some adjustment mid trip. Personally, I think that's worth some investment depending on the riding you plan to do, but that's just my personal opinion.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have looked around for some used engines but they are all either high mileage or nonexistent. I would love to get a newer engine (say like an 08 or 09) with FI and low miles but I don't know if I want the extra headaches of a more difficult swap.

I am thinking about the swap because I kept getting metal in my oil at the end of last season and I don't know where it is coming from (top end/ bottom end). I figured I could pull the engine and either take it in somewhere or see if my buddies and I could do a tear down on it.... but I know it would take forever. so I figured this way I could ride and still have it looked it while out of the bike.

·
Premium Member
1999 Drifter
5 Posts
Hmmmm....if 04 was the last year for the carbed engines then I probably should stay between 2000-2004 years of either the 15 or 1600 engines then. Correct?

Thanks for the response bandit. I think you and Mas were two people I found posts referencing swaps on different forums.
There is a video on Youtube where a guy put a carb manifold on an FI engine. he just used what looked like exhuast clamps to clamp the manifold instead of bolting it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts