Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I am trying to trouble shoot a stall problem in my 2012 Voyager, random engine stall while riding. It is not electrical failure as all instruments continue functioning. I do not believe it is fuel because there is not a sputter type stall. The starter switch will not work until I flip kill switch on and off. Then most times starts right back up while I am still coasting. I have been reading the ignition wire threads. I am going to start with that this weekend. Thanks for all of the great information I have already received and for the information in the future.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Do you use the kill switch any at all? Wash it a lot? Could be a dirty kill switch or side stand switch. I never use it to kill the engine, but I flip it every now and then before I start it. Hopefully that helps pop the crud off the contacts. With no electrical load on it, even thought the start circuit is very low amps there is no spark from the contacts opening or closing like there is when power is off.

In my Air Force days we used Everclear to clean electrical switch contacts on equipment. Cleans good, leaves no residue.

The side stand switch gets used every time you lower or raise it. Clean it too.....

Two years ago my 2011 acted like I flipped the kill switch off and then right back on. I opened up the switch housing and sprayed contact cleaner in the kill switch housing. Never done it again. Don't use WD40 on electrical switches.. it is a dirt/crud magnet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My Honda vtx had a side stand switch problem. I had it completely removed. I will check both. Voyager has been running great so I do not think it is mechanical. Has to be something small like afore mentioned. Thank you sir. I will post what I find.

·
Registered
580 Posts
May be good idea to check you grounds and battery connections also.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Last year after installing the Dynojet Autotune my bike stalled on 3 different occasions. It turned out that I had neglected to tighten the battery cables after removing them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did not get to do a whole lot this weekend. I checked the oil. It was fine. I located the ignition switch harness under the tank. It was showing signs of wear but not worn through. Taped it up. I was not able to get into the kill switch housing thanks to the high quality durable screws kawasaki uses, stripped the phillips head. I did flip it off and on several times. The side stand sensor was secure and appears to be functioning properly.

Sunday, I let the bike run at idle for about 35 minutes. No issues. I took it for a short ride simulating normal riding conditions. No issues.

I am still leaning toward kill switch. I will get into the casing when I am able to locate and purchase replacement screws.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
[QUOTE...In my Air Force days we used Everclear to clean electrical switch contacts on equipment. Cleans good, leaves no residue.....[/QUOTE]

Are you talking about Everclear alcohol?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hope this post does not bring the gremlin back. Appears to have been a bad tank of fuel. I would not have guessed it by the way the engine just suddenly shut off. Thank you all for your advice.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FYI...the engine stall came back. I fueled up an at an Exxon station with super unleaded. The stalls started again. I am not certain but pretty sure I fueled up at the same station before the first engine stall problem. The station is maybe 5-8 years old. Heavy traffic there. I have had a couple tanks of fuel through with no problems between the stall tanks. I refueled yesterday at a different station, different brand fuel, stalls are gone again.

·
Registered
580 Posts
FYI...the engine stall came back. I fueled up an at an Exxon station with super unleaded. The stalls started again. I am not certain but pretty sure I fueled up at the same station before the first engine stall problem. The station is maybe 5-8 years old. Heavy traffic there. I have had a couple tanks of fuel through with no problems between the stall tanks. I refueled yesterday at a different station, different brand fuel, stalls are gone again.
Bad fuel would not explain the starter not working. The engine will still turn over with the kill switch pressed also, just not fire. It definitely sounds electrical

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
I still bet it is one of the switches related to ignition..... including possibility the ignition switch.... but more likely side stand or kill switch... it is one of those most of the time.....but something in the ignition circuit....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update: the ghost stalls have been coming and going. Last week the stalls were getting frequent. On my way to work the bike stalled and would not start. It was as if the started switch had been disconnected. All electronics appeared to be working. After a tow truck removed my bike from the highway and to a trusted independent mechanic, it was discovered the ignition switch had failed. Now I have to pay for the tow to a kawasaki dealership, not cared for, to have the recall work done to replace the ignition switch and wiring. Kawasaki is going to provide a good will reimbursement for the cost of the second tow truck.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Glad you found the culprit. Intermittent issues are the hardest to find. If something fails to work, and stays broken, it's a lot easier to fix it.

Nice to see Kawasaki take care of you on the tow too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They replaced the ignition and all the locks so the keys would match. Almost $600.00 total at no cost to me. Ride the bike home 70 miles with no issues.

If anyone is ever looking for a new power sport product, give Louis powersports in Greenville, Texas first look. They have a great store, outstanding customer service and outstanding after sale service.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Grrrrrr.....started the bike two days last week and let idle in driveway just to keep it fresh. It was cold last week. Today on the ride to work bike stalled six times. One time almost left me stranded. Flipped the kill switch several times and it finally started. These are the same stalls as before the recall work. No warning or sputter, just shuts off.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Bummer, sorry the dealer let you down. I sure hope the other shop can find the issue.

I had a similar issue on my Suzuki. Typically in the ignition, but mine was just a bad pin in a plug going to the ignition. I jumped around the plug with a piece of #12 and it hasn't missed a beat since.

Hope yours turns out to be a simple fix. Then go back to Maw Kaw and rub it in their face.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts