Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
General Question...I have a 2007 900 Custom. The specs pages online show a gas capacity of 5.3 gallons and I top off at 3.25 at most. Is there something wrong with my gas tank? Is there a lever or nozzle I need to turn to allow the extra 2 gallons? What gives? Does anyone else have this issue or is it just me?

Opinions are appreciated. Thanks.

Rob V

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
ride until the low fuel light comes on....then ride another 50 miles or so...then you will get 5 gallons in there.... guage is way off on these bikes.....but if you do a search on here you can find several "fixes' for that issue....

·
Registered
149 Posts
Either you're never really riding it to empty as Big Worm is suggesting or...
If you're sticking the nozzle in the tank and stopping when it shuts off that's about right. If you want to 'really' fill it you then have to pull the nozzle out of the tank and continue to fill it by sticking just the end of the nozzle in the tank and topping it off by sight. Be careful.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Either you're never really riding it to empty as Big Worm is suggesting or...
If you're sticking the nozzle in the tank and stopping when it shuts off that's about right. If you want to 'really' fill it you then have to pull the nozzle out of the tank and continue to fill it by sticking just the end of the nozzle in the tank and topping it off by sight. Be careful.
Yeah... Be careful. You will notice a flange down inside the fill hole. I just barely let the tip of the fill nozzle fit through that flange. Then when it clicks off, I hit it one or two more times so that the fuel is just level with this flange. I have never put more than 4.5 gallons in even when I ride until the light comes on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice folks. I will try to wait for the light to come on. And see what happens after and how far I get. Filling it up isn't an issue. So I will conduct an experiment when I get to 'E'.

·
Registered
171 Posts
As Helek stated up above, the inaccuracy of the gas gauge AND the low fuel light is a known bug. You can either follow the link he gave you to the gas gauge fix, or you can just rely on your trip meter like any other bike.

My low fuel light comes on at between 190 and 200 miles on a tank. Even if I ride 50 miles with the light on, I have still been unable to get more than 4.3 gallons back in the tank.

I am comfortable with using using 250 miles as a range for each tank. Even if I forget to reset the trip after a fillup, I know I have at least 50 miles after the light comes on. And I haven't run dry yet.

·
Registered
358 Posts
With a 5.3 gallon fuel capacity and Kawasaki estimated 45 mpg, you should get 238.5 miles out of a FULL tank. YMMV. Running mine like I stole it, I get 42-44 mpg. With my heavy wrist, I have NEVER gotten 50 mpg.
My low fuel indicator typically lights up at about 170-180 miles. If I fuel up at that point, typical fill-up is right around 4 gallons. I get a little antsy when the odo hits 200, but I know I have at least a few miles left...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Ran out of Fuel

I by choice, decided to run my bike dry, or till it shut it self down, (still had a wee little bit of fuel), like the rest of you I was wondering just how much it would take, and how far it would go. So today she ran dry, only had to push her a little ways (not smart enough to bring just a little fuel, :rolleyes:), when I got to the station was able to put in 20.246 Liters, I put on somewhere in the area of about 340 ish Kms. of mostly in city ridding. This is my form of research that I do best, you know REDNECK style. also just to inform you all I have a 07 VN 900 Classic LT. stock as it comes from the dealer, with the only addition, being my cup holder. tires are basically brand new bridge stone max's with less than 1000 KMs on them and running synthetic oil. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts