Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 2011 Voyager with only 4500 miles on her has side covers that are tarnishing already. Anyone think Kawasaki will honor the extended warranty on something like this? And if they do, is there any way to prevent it from happening again?

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I wonder if the dealer took off the plastic shipping covers off the engine before the heat got to them.

I know Kawasaki warranted those on the '09s and '10s.

·
Registered
148 Posts
So my 2011 Voyager with only 4500 miles on her has side covers that are tarnishing already. Anyone think Kawasaki will honor the extended warranty on something like this? And if they do, is there any way to prevent it from happening again?

My thread on what I did with video and pictures.

http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112073

Still planning on doing a custom derby cover in future. Might go route of a H-D derby cover that has iron cross deisgn (as it can be put on upside down) and still look even. The 4-5 hole pattern I could use spikes to fill holes for custom look, and drill out the hole pattern that I need to install on the clutch cover.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My thread on what I did with video and pictures.

http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112073

Still planning on doing a custom derby cover in future. Might go route of a H-D derby cover that has iron cross deisgn (as it can be put on upside down) and still look even. The 4-5 hole pattern I could use spikes to fill holes for custom look, and drill out the hole pattern that I need to install on the clutch cover.
Perfect. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Perfect. Thanks for sharing.
I found some online shops that do custom derby covers. Also in 3D design. Most show derby covers that were made for H-D's, with the 5 bolt and 3 bolt pattern.
The pricing was around $300 and up for custom work. I didn't go as far as contacting them about make a cover with correct bolt holes that would line up with the Vulcan's. But if they could and would, I would send them my plastic cover I took off as a template so they make the correct hole pattern for bolting onto the Vulcan's clutch cover.

I think once I put on a billet chrome cover, the clutch cover will look alot better.

But as you can see, taking off the plastic trim and cheap aluminum cover reveals nice chrome finish.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I had the same issue with my 2012 Voyager, talked to my Dealer and they said that Kawi had an issue with these and have been replacing them with the new ones from the 2014's. All of the decals have had issues and they are replacing them all, Air Cleaner (both sides), Pully Cover, Trans Cover and right side engine cover. They claim there was an issue with the Manfacturing (go figure) and have changed suppliers for this model year. ALL of mine were replaced about 2 months ago, at no charge...

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Rode over to my closest Kawai dealer this morning (18 miles). Not my favorite, just the closest.

Walked up to the kid behind the service counter and said:

"Apparently Kawasaki is replacing all the engine/air cleaner decals because the original venders decals are inferior. The plastic covering is wrong and the heat of the engine riuins them, plus they weren't UV protected either causing them to fade. For the 2009 - 2013 Voyagers....

There is no recall, you have to call Kawasaki to get them changed"

He goes, OK, let me check. I gave him my Vin number and went out onto the floor and looked at the new Vaquero that is day glo orange.

I walked back to his counter and he said there is no recall on them. To which I said:

"That is probably why you need to call them to have it done because there is no recall as of yet"..

He goes, I guess I will call them....

So I go back to the floor and was looking at a Vulcan 900 trike they had on the floor. A couple minutes later he walks up and says "Kawasaki says to replace all of them no questions asked"...

New decals on order.....

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Rode over to my closest Kawai dealer this morning (18 miles). Not my favorite, just the closest.

Walked up to the kid behind the service counter and said:

"Apparently Kawasaki is replacing all the engine/air cleaner decals because the original venders decals are inferior. The plastic covering is wrong and the heat of the engine riuins them, plus they weren't UV protected either causing them to fade. For the 2009 - 2013 Voyagers....

There is no recall, you have to call Kawasaki to get them changed"

He goes, OK, let me check. I gave him my Vin number and went out onto the floor and looked at the new Vaquero that is day glo orange.

I walked back to his counter and he said there is no recall on them. To which I sad:

"That is probably why you need to call them to have it done because there is no recall as of yet"..

He goes, I guess I will call them....

So I go back to the floor and was looking at a Vulcan 900 trike they had on the floor. A couple minutes later he walks up and says "Kawasaki says to replace all of them no questions asked"...

New decals on order.....
Good to know.
I will be stopping in to my nearest dealer next week.

Scott

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I will have to check into this. The decals on the air box covers of my Nomad looked so bad I took them off. The right side case decal on my Voyager looks even worse.

·
Registered
117 Posts
You guys need to move to Arizona, I Love Kelly's Kawasaki in Mesa, they are actually the ones that told me about getting them replaced. Long story short the service I get from them is TOP NOTCH to say the least.
Maybe if enough people get involved in this they may issue a recall...

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Without an "official" recall, I would assume you would need to have some warranty left on it. But even at that, it never hurts to ask....

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just got back from my local dealer. It wasn't that easy for me. The service manager took a pic of my covers and said that he would talk to his regional manager and let me know.

I'll play the game for now before I start making phone calls myself.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
The service manager took a pic of my covers and said that he would talk to his regional manager and let me know.
I would have told him to go call his regional manager. Thats what my dealer did... he should have done that while you were standing there..... or ask for the regional techs number.....

Thats why I told him there was no recall but he would have to call Kawasaki to confirm they are doing it....

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Kaz71.....

Is that skull decal holding up?

I had been thinking of taking all the decal covers off and replacing with some of the metal emblems I have laying around. (Retired Air Force, Masonic, Blue Knights. Patriot Guard) I did that with the wife's Yamaha with Rainbow Girl metal emblems. When she was part of that organization. (me too for that matter)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Kaz71.....

Is that skull decal holding up?

I had been thinking of taking all the decal covers off and replacing with some of the metal emblems I have laying around. (Retired Air Force, Masonic, Blue Knights. Patriot Guard) I did that with the wife's Yamaha with Rainbow Girl metal emblems. When she was part of that organization. (me too for that matter)
Yes it does hold up well. I thought engine heat at first might ruin it over time, but it seems to hold up nice. Also I run mobile one v twin full syn 20W50 oil, so can't tell you how it would hold up with regular 10W40 oil. I'm able to touch the clutch cover and mufflers quick without getting any burn or sense of me feel like I will get burned, unlike when I ran 10W40 and if I touched the mufflers I would get a burn instantly. Also run engine ice coolant as well so with my current set up choice everything is working out for me.

Chrome stickers are a cheap alternative. I plan on getting a custom made cover for that area.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
I run Engine Ice as well......

·
Registered
381 Posts
Was in an accident a few years back and had to replace the entire right case. Opted not to replace the decal/plate though and personally I think it looks better without it.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
That's good...............:)

My dealer will call when mine get in....

1 - 20 of 35 Posts