Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are some other threads about this, but I was hoping to get some fresh eyes on this.

I have been having some rattling with my 1700 classic LT. I notice the problem when I am coming to a stop and have the clutch pulled in. It is a rattling sound like there is a screw in the motor somewhere and it is bouncing around. I haven't noticed at higher speeds with the clutch pulled in, but that could be because of road and wind noise.

This isn't the first problem I've had with the bike either. I had some idling problems before, and they said one of my spark plugs was quite fouled. Although the bike only had around 4k miles at the time.

I know this is a very active forum so I'm really hoping to get some good input, comments on these issues. It doesn't seem like I can find much for the Classic LT, so I'd really appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks!

·
Registered
369 Posts
I know there are some other threads about this, but I was hoping to get some fresh eyes on this.

I have been having some rattling with my 1700 classic LT. I notice the problem when I am coming to a stop and have the clutch pulled in. It is a rattling sound like there is a screw in the motor somewhere and it is bouncing around. I haven't noticed at higher speeds with the clutch pulled in, but that could be because of road and wind noise.

This isn't the first problem I've had with the bike either. I had some idling problems before, and they said one of my spark plugs was quite fouled. Although the bike only had around 4k miles at the time.

I know this is a very active forum so I'm really hoping to get some good input, comments on these issues. It doesn't seem like I can find much for the Classic LT, so I'd really appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks!
sounds like its coming from your clutch. next time your out see if the sounds there in neutral with clutch disengaged. then slowly engage the clutch and see if you hear the sound. then put it in gear and listen. my bike makes funny noises when i have the clutch pulled in, then when i let go of it it goes away. but the sound is hardly noticeable. I'm just trying to pinpoint the sound coming from your clutch area.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I agree, sounds like possible clutch rattle. This condition is so prevalent with Ford Rangers they put out a service bulletin addressing the issue stating it was just fine. If it is clutch rattle sounds like you are one of the few with it, and will probably take some time for Kaw to fix it if they will.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you think it is something I should take in to have it looked at? It really only seems to happen when the bike warms up, but it doesn't take long.

It does seem to be coming from the transmission region. It kind of sucks if there is no fix for this though because if I try to sell it, and someone rides it, it doesn't sound like normal engine sound.

I hope people keep posting their thoughts no this. If you have a comment please chime in. I could use all the help I can get with this.

Thanks.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I believe in documentation for several reasons. 1) It might not be clutch at all, the shop might know exactly what it is, and fix it on the spot. 2) If it is something they aren't familiar with you get it documents that it was brought in. 3) If something breaks on the bike later that could possible be connected to the problem you reported earlier, your double covered because you tried to get them to repair it once already.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not sure about the clutch. When I'm coasting to a stop, I tried pulling clutch lever in and releasing, and sound continues through both. This morning it almost sounded like something was spinning, and when I stop rolling, I don't hear the sound any more.

I took it in to Kawasaki this morning, and hoping they can solve because my bike is my commuter rain or shine. I ride everyday, and I need it back.

I just hope warranty covers, but it should.

Any other thoughts are more than welcomed!

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Well, based on the info that the noise stops when you stop rolling, I'm thinking a bearing, or brake issue. Let me know what Kaw thinks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, based on the info that the noise stops when you stop rolling, I'm thinking a bearing, or brake issue. Let me know what Kaw thinks.
Here's an update to the issue at hand. Mechanic drove the bike, and verified a noise coming from the engine, possibly a bit more on the left side. He said he needed to check with Kaw to find out how to proceed.

I'm not sure the reasoning on that, since it is under warranty my thought would be to proceed by stopping the damn noise.

I asked the mechanic what he thought it might be and he said he wasn't sure, and wasn't particularly worried about it. Again, I don't understand how you don't get worried about a rattling sound from a motor.

I'm quite frustrated, but still would welcome any comments or suggestions. I will keep updating as I learn more.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hello boer_83,
Keep us posted on what you find out. As you know from my thread "noise on idle" my bike makes a irregular knock or rattle (backlash noise maybe, not in time with the motor) when its hot but not cold. I notice it most in town on a hot day stopping at stop lights, also idling after a ride on a hot day. It does it clutch in or clutch out. I started noticing it at about 4k miles and I have about 13k miles on it now and its still the same no better but no worse. Actually I sorta got used it it now, lol.
James
2010 Nomad 1700

·
Registered
287 Posts
I don't have this rattle, but then again I've only got about 10,000 miles on mine. Question though: Does it do it when sitting in neutral or in gear?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Here's an update to the issue at hand. Mechanic drove the bike, and verified a noise coming from the engine, possibly a bit more on the left side. He said he needed to check with Kaw to find out how to proceed.

I'm not sure the reasoning on that, since it is under warranty my thought would be to proceed by stopping the damn noise.

I asked the mechanic what he thought it might be and he said he wasn't sure, and wasn't particularly worried about it. Again, I don't understand how you don't get worried about a rattling sound from a motor.

I'm quite frustrated, but still would welcome any comments or suggestions. I will keep updating as I learn more.
Sometimes the manufacturer knows more than the tech and can help diagnose the problem if there is one. They can lead him to do certain tests to figure it out. It's no different when you bring your car to the dealer for a problem. You would be surprised how often it is done. I'm not defending him, just giving you another reason why he is doing it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I don't have this rattle, but then again I've only got about 10,000 miles on mine. Question though: Does it do it when sitting in neutral or in gear?
Both, it doesn't make any difference if its in neutral or in gear. I would call mine more of a knock or backlash noise. Its on the left side and I can feel it if I put my hand on the sprocket output cover, and feel it some if I put my hand on the plastic cover that says six speed. There was others that had the same noise on the other thread, but most everyone started noticing the noise about 4k miles or earlier.

I can't hear or feel it on the right side but the noise could be starting over there and coming over to the left side. I read that one of the changes to the Vaquero was to leave off the lower primary chain guide (to save weight? they said). That sounded a little funny, saving 1 lb on a 800 lb bike.
They also made some tran gear changes in the 2011 Vaquero, I'm just guessing the changes was to the other 1700 models also.

What year is your bike?
James

·
Registered
217 Posts
I think Kawasaki has the final say on if its covered under warranty and the say on what work is to be done if any. I still have almost a year left on my warranty and I will probably get the extended warranty before that runs out. There is a Kawasaki dealer on ebay selling the Kawasaki good times warranty for a pretty good price.

Good luck and keep us posted, I can feel your flustration.
James

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It seems to me that it does it clutch in/out, and I only notice it while I'm slowing down to stop, i.e. downshifting and coasting. It seems once I have stopped, I don't hear it any more. It seems to have been getting worse over the past week before I took it in. Dealership has had it almost a week now and as far as I know they are waiting for commands from Kaw to tell them what to do. In my opinion they should fix the damn noise, it's obviously not right and has been getting worse.

I'll keep everyone updated as I hear news. Hopefully sooner than later, it's getting cold here in IA already.

·
Registered
217 Posts
It seems to me that it does it clutch in/out, and I only notice it while I'm slowing down to stop, i.e. downshifting and coasting. It seems once I have stopped, I don't hear it any more. It seems to have been getting worse over the past week before I took it in. Dealership has had it almost a week now and as far as I know they are waiting for commands from Kaw to tell them what to do. In my opinion they should fix the damn noise, it's obviously not right and has been getting worse.

I'll keep everyone updated as I hear news. Hopefully sooner than later, it's getting cold here in IA already.
I had mine do something like that before, even vibrating just before getting stopped. I went through some chip seal road and got a some asphalt and rock in my belt and back sprocket. After I cleaned it all out it was fine again. That time it was mostly just one small rock stuck in the back sprocket and it was pushing the belt over to rub on the side. Since then and more chips seal road construction and I have a lot more damage to my belt but I have it quiet again now.
I'm not sure if thats your problem, but maybe it its if you went through some road construction. Anyways good luck with your problem, they are good bikes when you get them right.
James

·
Registered
287 Posts
Extended Warranty

I think Kawasaki has the final say on if its covered under warranty and the say on what work is to be done if any. I still have almost a year left on my warranty and I will probably get the extended warranty before that runs out. There is a Kawasaki dealer on ebay selling the Kawasaki good times warranty for a pretty good price.

Good luck and keep us posted, I can feel your flustration.
James
Replay
You have peaked my interest. I was planning on buy the Kawasaki extended warranty, but I never thought of looking on ebay. So I have some questions:
1. How do you know it's the exact same warranty that Kawasaki sells, as apposed to something an insurance company might sell?
2. Did you purchase it from a dealer? If so do you mind tell me which one?
Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Replay,

The sound is definitely forward of the seat. Its not too much of a vibration, more of a rattle. I can occasionally feel what seems like a bit of vibration though when it is happening.

I understand that these are probably good bikes when you get them right, but I don't feel like I should have to have my bike in the shop for more than a week when it only has 5k miles on it. In other words, I don't feel like I should have to worry about getting it right when it is still this new.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Keep them coming. I really do look forward to checking my email and seeing that someone else has posted on this thread.

Nic

·
Registered
217 Posts
Replay
You have peaked my interest. I was planning on buy the Kawasaki extended warranty, but I never thought of looking on ebay. So I have some questions:
1. How do you know it's the exact same warranty that Kawasaki sells, as apposed to something an insurance company might sell?
2. Did you purchase it from a dealer? If so do you mind tell me which one?
Thanks
I havn't bought it yet, I still have untill my original warranty runs out to get the extended one. There is other companies that offer extended warranty but only one from Kawasaki that I know of, the good times one. Here is a link to his up to day Ebay post.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawasaki-4-yr-extended-warranty-Good-Times-Protection-/380369858734?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item588fcf70ae
You can ask him any questions from there. He is also a Dealer do a google search for Freemont Motors and you can bring up his web page. Maybe someone here has been to their store?
James

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I've got the bike back. They didn't do anything. According to the ticket they don't think it is in the motor so they checked a bunch of plastics and random other rattle points. I know this sound isn't a loose part, but they aren't concerned about it.

I guess Kawasaki doesn't mind if their bikes sound terrible when coasting to a stop. I think this noise is loud enough people on the sidewalk could probably hear it when I'm coming to the stop signs and lights.

Oh well, they documented it and said there shouldn't be any problems if this comes up again in the future. I am still thinking of trading/selling this bike though. I just don't want to deal with a potential problem down the road.

Nic

·
Registered
48 Posts
Okay, so I'm well aware of the fact that this is an old thread, but I'm calling it back up because it sounds similar to my issue. Just pulled the bike back out of winter storage. Rode it around for a good piece of the day, no issues. On my way home from work, I was decelerating to a stop sign and downshifting. Every time I pulled in the clutch, I got this rattling noise, like a couple of bearing balls being rolled around in a tin can. In gear, under load, nothing. In neutral sitting, nothing. It only happens when the clutch gets pulled in.

Brought it to the dealership Saturday to have it diagnosed and serviced. Cold, pulling out of my driveway and down the road it was perfect, no trace of the rattle. The whole ride to the dealer (20 minutes or so) it didn't make a peep. Finally downshifting to turn into the dealer, it started again. Guess it needs to warm up. Extended warranty from Kawasaki until 6/19. Haven't heard back yet, but I know they are busy with spring service. This dealership has serviced the bike at every interval, and the previous owner was absolutely anal about records. I've never seen a bike more meticulously maintained, so hopefully they get it figured out.

Just thought I'd put it out there in case anyone else has had the issue and had it resolved.

Oh yeah, '12 Vulcan 1700 Voyager, BTW.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts