Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
o7 900classic, cobra shorts stock air, has cobra fi2000. engine idles fine after warm-up. then it will change the sound of the idle. it can be heard from the exhaust and from the rear cylinder. then it will change back again. no problem on a run or rev of motor. only in the idle mode. this just started. bike has 4k on it. any ideas. need help...THANKS

·
Registered
941 Posts
Describe what the sound is like?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
On occation, when my nine idles.....it kinda goes into a low humming sound, hard to describe.....kinda like a boggy kinda thrumming sound, then it clicks and goes back to normal.....is it like that?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
engine noise follow-up

the 900 classic will idle a normal idle, then the sound will change to a rattle like sound that can be heard from the rear cylinder and pipes. this explaination is my best answer to jace bror that ask. as for the reply from silenthill, sounds like you have what i have, kinda hard to duplicate a sound. i can't figure out what is causing this to happen. never had a bike do it before.
any ideas. doesn't appear to hamper the operation of the bike. maybe i should follow the old rule, " If it ain't broken...don't fix it!!" I am just requesting info. don't want the ol' lady to be ridin' and wam! if you have any more info or anyone else, please feel free to holler at me. THANKS!!!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Anyone else experience the intermittent "burbling" sound and decreased rpm before it clicks and resumes a normal idle?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
engine noise follow-up part II

just wondering, does your bike have after market pipes, any type of fuel processor, or air box that is modified???

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
just wondering, does your bike have after market pipes, any type of fuel processor, or air box that is modified???
I'm stock. I'm also bumping this as my bike does it all the time now. I might have to take it in. It goes into a "burbling" kinda idle, then clicks and goes back...then it does it again, repeatedly. Doesn't seem to affect performance, but, it's getting annoying.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
engine problem follow-up, follow-up

yep! bugs the hell outta me too. let me know what you find out. the stealers around here, well don't get me started on their knowledge. a reminder, mind just started this and the bike runs good. i will countinue to ask around. let you know if i can come up with anything, again...THANKS for your concern and aid!!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
yep! bugs the hell outta me too. let me know what you find out. the stealers around here, well don't get me started on their knowledge. a reminder, mind just started this and the bike runs good. i will countinue to ask around. let you know if i can come up with anything, again...THANKS for your concern and aid!!
Duce, I turned my idle up slightly, when it went into it's "burble". So far so good. Try it!
We can compare notes. I THINK it might be "cured". I'll keep u posted. Funny no-one else has responded with a similar experience.......

·
Registered
186 Posts
I too have noticed this on my 09,I have HK strippers and cobra Fi2000,doesn't seem to affect performance but it is definatly noticable,thing is its not all the time on start up,the temp here has been a little cool, is it because of the temprature? the EFI giving a little more fuel to one cylinder? also noticed the other day i rode for a bit ,engine was up to temp, stopped for gas and when i started bike up it went into a high idle like it was just being started up cold but then went back down to normal idle the temp outside was roughly 63 degrees but a little chilly with the wind. so now today its in the 70s so i will see if this may be the problem. maybe the EFI needs to be remapped.? or possibly taking the cobra processor off and see if thats the difference.any suggestions or cures before i have to take it 40miles to the nearest dealer. thanks and happy riding.

·
Registered
186 Posts
OK,its 75 degrees today went out started bike up it didnt make that weird sound,bike idled fine went for a short ride,did this 3 different times through the day and every time the bike was started it didn't make that sound and for now i have my FI 2000 set at 2-2-1(just slight pop on decel)before it was set at the factory setting of 4-2-0 still not sure if this the cure but that weird sound is gone.?maybe it is the Fi2000 causing it cuz it wasn't doing it before i installed it on the bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i will try the idle adjustment fix and see if i get lucky. mine is around 500rpm at the present. could be the electronic fuel control thingy that is factory set . BSE, AS FOR UNHOOKIN' THE FI2000, DON'T. IT AIN'T GOT NOTHING TO DO WITH THE IDLE. it just adds or deletes fuel on 1,2, and 3 setting as you set it. better to run with enough fuel to compensate for the extra air from the pipes. well thanks for the help!! i will get back to ya'll in a few days.

·
Registered
186 Posts
i will try the idle adjustment fix and see if i get lucky. mine is around 500rpm at the present. could be the electronic fuel control thingy that is factory set . BSE, AS FOR UNHOOKIN' THE FI2000, DON'T. IT AIN'T GOT NOTHING TO DO WITH THE IDLE. it just adds or deletes fuel on 1,2, and 3 setting as you set it. better to run with enough fuel to compensate for the extra air from the pipes. well thanks for the help!! i will get back to ya'll in a few days.
YES,thanks for reminding me.I should have known.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BSE... my setting is the same as yours, with a pop on decel every now and then. its not the fi2000. SILENTHILL has the same problem as both of us, and his bike is STOCK AIR and STOCK PIPES. did you try the turn the idle up or are you already at 900+/- 100 now. i'm at around 500rpm, don't know what silenthill was at before he turned his up. but he stated that it solved his problem. let me know, i will try it out this weekend. thanks, later

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Update.
Turning the idle up has solved the problem. It was adjusted by the dealer, I don't know what the rpm's are (tachless). I turned it up a smidgeon (can't tell the difference) and the "burbling" went away. 80DUCE, at 500 rpm's....that's too low. The twin needs to pump it's oil all the way to the top of the second cylinder head, at 500rpm's your prolly idling dry. The manual warns against setting the idle too low several times. I know some want the "chug" at idle, but is it worth it?

·
Registered
186 Posts
BSE... my setting is the same as yours, with a pop on decel every now and then. its not the fi2000. SILENTHILL has the same problem as both of us, and his bike is STOCK AIR and STOCK PIPES. did you try the turn the idle up or are you already at 900+/- 100 now. i'm at around 500rpm, don't know what silenthill was at before he turned his up. but he stated that it solved his problem. let me know, i will try it out this weekend. thanks, later
HEY,thanks for the info i actually did turn it up alittle when i had readjusted my Fi2000 i will turn it a tad to get few more rpm's at idle. happy riding.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks!! you are right, turn up the idle!! it passes the common sense test! the 900 don't need an idle adjustment knob for those to play around with. it needs an idle adjustment screw that is kinda hard to get to. again, thanks to SILENTHILL and BSE.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts